COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both, the Hilton should be in the same league with the Westin. Which is going to pinch the affordable room market quite a bit. Pretty much leaves the Radisson and the proposal on Charles Street as the only affordable hotel options for Providence, neither of which are great alternatives. I'd like to see the Fogarty Hotel be a level below the Westin and Hilton (though not at the Holiday Inn level).

We need an affordable hotel in the city, I've mentioned elsewhere that the Jewelry District would be a good location, close to Downcity for budget conscious tourists, and near the hospitals for people staying overnight visiting patients, especially for parents with children at Hasbro. Providence is going to need a new Holiday Inn.

By the way, barring some huge disaster in the nation's economy (like the real estate bubble actually bursting, or another Sept. 11th), I feel pretty confident that we'll see the Hilton Residences happen in the next 5 years (probably sooner). It's prudent for them to wait, and they never really announced a real date for it, just that it would be built after the Hilton reno, and would take x amount of time to complete.

By the way, barring some huge disaster in the nation's economy (like the real estate bubble actually bursting, or another Sept. 11th), I feel pretty confident that we'll see the Hilton Residences happen in the next 5 years (probably sooner). It's prudent for them to wait, and they never really announced a real date for it, just that it would be built after the Hilton reno, and would take x amount of time to complete.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting thoughts on several fronts. First, regarding affordable hotels, while I agree we need another affordable hotel in Providence proper, remember there are many affordable places in the metro. Seekonk and Warwick are home to quite a few, and Pawtucket has several as well.

Regarding the Hilton Residences, I hope you're right. If they want to see what the market does, I don't think we'll know until everthing is online and settled, and that'll be 2007/8 or so... And then they'll need time for design, engineering, etc. Maybe groundbreaking in 5 years, but I doubt the actual tower will be done by the Mayor's Conference in '09, unfortunately :(. Hope I'm wrong!

- Garris

remember there are many affordable places in the metro.  Seekonk and Warwick are home to quite a few, and Pawtucket has several as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We need some downcity though, or at least close so people can walk to everything and not have to rent a car. I can't imagine being stuck in a hotel in Warwick...god...nothing to do or see.

remember there are many affordable places in the metro.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, not as many as you think, and not as affordable as you think. I had a friend come down who couldn't find an affordable room in Providence and ended up paying $170 to stay at the Days Inn across from Garden City. Pawtucket only has one hotel now, the Comfort Inn on Route 95, and the airport hotels in Warwick fill up fast. So the demand drives up the prices at even the worst hotels in the worst locations.

Interesting thoughts on several fronts.  First, regarding affordable hotels, while I agree we need another affordable hotel in Providence proper, remember there are many affordable places in the metro.  Seekonk and Warwick are home to quite a few, and Pawtucket has several as well.

Regarding the Hilton Residences, I hope you're right.  If they want to see what the market does, I don't think we'll know until everthing is online and settled, and that'll be 2007/8 or so...  And then they'll need time for design, engineering, etc.  Maybe groundbreaking in 5 years, but I doubt the actual tower will be done by the Mayor's Conference in '09, unfortunately :(.  Hope I'm wrong!

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi guys-

From my perspective watching some other cities in this situation I see the Hilton condos beginning in 2007 and close to being ready for the National Mayors Conference.

I also agree that a Downcity affordable hotel is needed...maybe Embassy Suites will show up on the Fogarty site. I just hope it is a 20 plus - not 13 like the 1st vision. The one good thing is that I am convinced that the Mayor pushes for taller buildings Downcity.

From my perspective watching some other cities in this situation I see the Hilton condos beginning in 2007 and close to being ready for the National Mayors Conference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, ideally we'll have WaterPlace, The Westin, and OneTen sold out, or close to sold out as they near completion in '07, giving Proc. Group the assurance that they can procede.

I also agree that a Downcity affordable hotel is needed...maybe Embassy Suites will show up on the Fogarty site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Mesolella's plan was for something along the lines of an Embassy Suites. Not sure what Proc. Group's plans are going to be. I would think that conventions would want a low cost alternative to put up their underlings. Hotel Providence, the Westin, and the Masonic Temple being more for the executives to stay at.

And in the hotel game, we can't forget that GTECH is going to be taking up thousands of rooms a year, and they aren't here yet.

And in the hotel game, we can't forget that GTECH is going to be taking up thousands of rooms a year, and they aren't here yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of them (Cotuit, you may know this better since you go by here every day), did they just resurface that parking lot where they were once supposed to build the "G-Tech hotel" across from Union Station? I guess that definitely means nothing happening there anytime soon. That would be another good locale for a moderate priced hotel, with all the retail that will soon be at G-Tech and Waterplace needing a feeder population soon...

- Garris

Dropped the "& Residences" (since they are on-hold) and changed this to IN-PROGRESS. Wanna see why?

2005-0826-Hilton001.jpg

2005-0826-Hilton002.jpg

On the site fence:

2005-0826-HiltonRendering.jpg

Maybe a taste of what's to come on the Power Block with Proc. Group owning or having a major interest in most of it. Thoughts?

Actually, Cotuit, being you walk by there every day, I want to know what you think.

I think it's about what I imagined... My key thoughts:

- There's far more detailing here (although, disappointingly, far less than in the original sketches), and the touches are far more contemporary.

- I like the, for lack of a better term, glass extension of the building to the Sabin/Atwell's intersection. I'm assuming this is the restaurant. While, when looking at it at first, I wished the door was facing the street, I now think its better on the side, especially with the stairway sweeping up above it. All that glass facing that critical intersection right at the sidewalk will presumably flood that area with light 24 hrs a day and make that feel like a much safer and less isolated place to walk. Really important...

- I like the little patio near the entrance.

- I like their blue rendition of the RI flag better than the real one :)

- Two weaknesses of the current building are its completely flat, boring top and its blank North and South faces... It looks like there're adding a little detailing to the faces, and some windows on top, but we can't tell if they're doing anything with the roof... I really hope that they add some, any interest to the roof...

- I'd like a tree or two in front of the entrace to the left of the canopy... That area is pretty flat and featureness to walk/drive by otherwise... Lots of unadorned concrete...

- I think, more than most buildings, their choice of building materials is going to matter hugely.

Overall, it's positive, two thumbs up, and it gives me hope for the other Power Block buildings. This certainly isn't the banal, exploitive design that the Fogarty Building hotel loooked like. That's my early feelings. Other thoughts?

- Garris

PS: Is that really the correct view of the skyline from there, or did they airbrush in another image. I didn't know they had such a dead-on look at Washington St.

PS: Is that really the correct view of the skyline from there, or did they airbrush in another image.  I didn't know they had such a dead-on look at Washington St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, that's totally made up.

Materials will indeed be key, I'm leaning towards liking it, but the materials being wrong would turn a pretty good building into a dog (any follow what happened in Boston with Hotel Commonwealth last year?).

I'm dissapointed that there isn't an actual structure were the patio is, I was hoping that would be the Starbucks and the entrance would be right on the corner of Atwells and Broadway.

The resturant is upstairs because the pool is right there on the ground level. I assume they are leaving the pool, and it looks like they are leaving the current Holiday Inn dining room where it is, just expanding it out and making it more of a public restaurant.

More planting to the left of the canopy would be nice, I would imagine they wouldn't do anything too major until after the tower gets built. Wouldn't want to plant trees to only have to cut them down 2, 3, 5 years later.

Going by the last rendering with the tower, it looks as if the roof line will have some interest, and hide the mechanicals, I would hope this would do the same.

I guess my biggest dissappointment is that patio space. I would have liked to have seen that right turn lane onto Atwells eliminated, and a 2-3 story structure built on the corner, to the corner. That patio will be nice (if they ever build anything at the gas station site and Public Safety Complex), but from the sidewalk it is a one story blank wall.

- Two weaknesses of the current building are its completely flat, boring top and its blank North and South faces...  It looks like there're adding a little detailing to the faces, and some windows on top, but we can't tell if they're doing anything with the roof...  I really hope that they add some, any interest to the roof...

The thought occurs to me that we might be able to use the side facing 95 to determine the likelihood of the tower being built anytime soon. I don't imagine they'd waste money detailing that facade if they're expecting to tear it up a year or two later to attach the tower.

Quick note while I have a minute - the pool is to remain but get refinished (it's pretty nasty down there, peeling paint, etc.) The jacuzzi will be gone, and there will be a new fitness room downstairs (last I saw of the plans at least). The new glass box facing the Civic Center is going to have a conference room and other office-type spaces on one level, and I believe the restaurant (Shula's) will extend into the addition as well.

Proc. was supposed to have secured air rights over Aborn street to build a new ballroom eventually, but I'm not sure if that's still the deal.

I've been working out of another architecture office whom we're teaming up with to do a big school project in Foster-Glocester, but when I get back to my office I'll try and give an update on all of the Hilton stuff.

Yes, ideally we'll have WaterPlace, The Westin, and OneTen sold out, or close to sold out as they near completion in '07, giving Proc. Group the assurance that they can procede.

I think Mesolella's plan was for something along the lines of an Embassy Suites. Not sure what Proc. Group's plans are going to be. I would think that conventions would want a low cost alternative to put up their underlings. Hotel Providence, the Westin, and the Masonic Temple being more for the executives to stay at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with your assessment. First, the Hilton looks good; but, we have had the ugliest Holiday Inn east of the Mississippi. Once the HI is gone, where are the low cost rooms? Not everyone wants or can afford the top flight hotels that will be offered in Providence! Another Holiday Inn or suite hotel needs to be built. It doesn't necessarily need to be downcity, but on a frequent bus/trolley line. My suggestion is the old GE plant at Atwells and Harris Ave. It is right across from Eagle Square and has frequent trolley service. This would tie in nicely with the improvements in the Olneyville/Valley area. Any thoughts?

Mark

I agree with your assessment. First, the Hilton looks good; but, we have had the ugliest Holiday Inn east of the Mississippi. Once the HI is gone, where are the low cost rooms? Not everyone wants or can afford the top flight hotels that will be offered in Providence! Another Holiday Inn or suite hotel needs to be built. It doesn't necessarily need to be downcity, but on a frequent bus/trolley line. My suggestion is the old GE plant at Atwells and Harris Ave. It is right across from Eagle Square and has frequent trolley service. This would tie in nicely with the improvements in the Olneyville/Valley area.  Any thoughts?

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting...it would add to the general rehab of the area, allow for easy access to Federal Hill's nationally recognized restaurants, and be along the trolley line to Downcity. I just wonder if a developer/hotel chain see it that way.

Interestingly, Tampa invested millions in a tracked trolley that ties the convention center/hotel area to it's restaurant district (Ybor) but it has been a failure...kind of an opposite approach to your Providence idea.

My suggestion is the old GE plant at Atwells and Harris Ave. It is right across from Eagle Square and has frequent trolley service. This would tie in nicely with the improvements in the Olneyville/Valley area.  Any thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had been the Jewelry District would be a good area fo ra low cost hotel, but Eagle Square would actually work too.

I had been the Jewelry District would be a good area fo ra low cost hotel, but Eagle Square would actually work too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Eagle Square is an interesting thought... What about the Promenade? That might be a decent location for affordable hotels... Easy highway access, it might help support a Faneuil Hall type thing at the old Produce Market, close to the mall (it would give them a reason to develop a back entrance)... Goodness knows jump starting that area as a residential neighborhood probably has bigger challenges.

I'm not sure about the Jewelry District. I'm not sure RIH has enough visitors from far away to need one, and I can barely navigate the JD and I live here... I can't imagine visitors trying...

- Garris

Archived