COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

The crane moved to the front of the building earlier this week. Yesterday afternoon they only had one or two panels up, it's hard to get a sense for anything from that. My boyfriend announced he doesn't like the back, but what does he know? :lol:

I don't think this building will be a knock out by any stretch, but it is going to be much better than it currently is. There are some decorative elements that I don't think we'll see until the very end, so we're going to have to wait to see the final product.

The renovations do nothing for the pedestrian environment in the area. Hopefully movement will be made on the gas station site sooner rather than later, because that is what will really help the pedestrian environment. At the very least a structure on the gas station site will diminish the winds that whip up 95 and batter pedestrians on Atwells. The Broadway facade of the Old Public Safety Complex design will be important too, I hope they don't screw it up, but worry because the Power Block is very much LaSalle Square oriented, not Broadway.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am watching this development with great interest as I drove down Broadway every day and see it from that vantage point.

The building itself is no thing of beauty. And short of demolishing it and starting from scratch, it wont be. I do think the facade looks rather cheap, but perhaps with the new windows and decorative touches it will not look so bad. Too early to tell. According to the developer's site they mention rooftop redesign. Perhaps they will make it look less boxy.

Its tough to make this building look pretty. But it will be better I think. At least I wont be slapped with the 70's every day as I make my way down the street.

Thanks for the shots Cotuit! It's amazing how rapidly this is progressing. One of the few projects in the city that seems to be moving faster than I thought it would!

I would expect it to seemingly grind to a halt soon. One must assume that all those rooms behind where they are putting up the panels right now are closed. If they are to keep the hotel open during renovation, I'd assume, they'll reclad half the building, then reno the rooms inside, then move the guests from the old half to the new half and start again on the other half. Aside from the recladding, not much has happened as far as the additions. They've erected some of the curved retaining walls at the corner, but the addition near the Dunk is not even begun yet.

76352363_10b3f2c21f_o.jpg

I walked by this evening (on the way to my comped meal at Cav :shades: ) and noticed this sign is gone now. It's been replaced with a green banner of similar size that has lights hanging over it to illumniate it. I assume the sign needed to go to make way for construction. One has to wonder when the Hilton signs will be going up. I actually had someone ask me for directions to the Hilton a couple weeks ago (she was very lost).

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone seen the progress on this building?... i drove by yesterday and it seemed like they were almost completely done on the front side of the building...i guess they didnt stop at midway.

I don't understand what they are doing to accomodate guests. It seems very strange.

I watch this everyday. It seems even weirder that they stopped midway through the Dunk side, but completed the I-95 side. Also at night, there are hardly any lights on in the rooms, expecially during the week. Leading me to believe that few to no one is staying there. I dont beleive the rooms have been discounted at all. A quick gander on their site can get me a room this Friday for 118.50. Thats about 68.50 too much in my opinion.

Also, anyone notice that they put one of the new windows in on the Dunk Side and thats all? Is that a test window?

The reason they went with the panel system for the new facade, is that it allows them to stay 100% open during installation. I agree though, I wouldn't pay that much for a room there, even before construction began.

The panels should have been finished by now, they started late and it's been a slower process than hoped for. But it's moving, so I guess we cant complain.

I've been working out of another office for the past few months, so now that I'm back I'm trying to get some info on the status of our projects. I'll post when I find out more.....

The reason they went with the panel system for the new facade, is that it allows them to stay 100% open during installation. I agree though, I wouldn't pay that much for a room there, even before construction began.

They're still going to have to renovate the entire outside wall of each room though aren't they. The window sizes are different. I assume they will close a floor at a time to do this.

Also, anyone notice that they put one of the new windows in on the Dunk Side and thats all? Is that a test window?

That's probably a completed room used as a showroom, I would guess.

They're still going to have to renovate the entire outside wall of each room though aren't they. The window sizes are different. I assume they will close a floor at a time to do this.

Plus they have to renovate the interior, and I doubt they'll leave rooms open when they're being worked on. Although you never know, some people might like a serious discount for having to breath saw dust all night...

http://www.procgroup.com/featured-projects...providence.html

updated text, and they took out all mentions of a condo tower!!!!!

"Renovation and conversion of the existing Hotel began in the summer of 2005 and will be completed in the first half of 2006. Construction of the new parking facility is scheduled to commence thereafter and be completed in 18

updated text, and they took out all mentions of a condo tower!!!!!

From what Thom Deller said, this was to be expected. I'm fine letting the condo tower go for a while if it means we'll see redevelopment at Fogarty and The Old Public Safety Building move forward faster as a result.

• 2 weeks later...

I see they are putting the lower part of the facade in. I know that renderings dont match the final product in terms of color all that well, but the greenish color in the picture is much better in my mind than the bluish-gray color that is going on. I did not relaize it would look so, well, gross.

I still think it is better than what existed before. But I wish the new facade exuded a bit more quality, it really looks cheap.

I see they are putting the lower part of the facade in. I know that renderings dont match the final product in terms of color all that well, but the greenish color in the picture is much better in my mind than the bluish-gray color that is going on. I did not relaize it would look so, well, gross.

These lower pieces are weird. I agreed with you when I first saw them going up, they very grey. I walked by the other day though, and there were a lot more in place and they were definately green. This morning I walked by again and they were grey. :unsure: I think it's a sunlight vs. cloud thing happening, and the building may look better under an overcast sky (much like GTECH).

In other news, they've begun to remove the carport canopy.

I think it's a sunlight vs. cloud thing happening, and the building may look better under an overcast sky (much like GTECH).

I've come to believe after lots of photographing of Providence that it's definitely an "overcast" city... :). Full on sunlight doesn't really flatter the city's predominantly lighter, greyer colors and a bright, blue sky makes the city feel somewhat "short." It feels and looks better with a slightly cloudy "ceiling" to give it a more urban, canyon like effect. This is very unlike Portland, OR for example, which looks far better with blue skys and sunlight than it does with overcast conditions.

Regarding the Hilton, I'm waiting until this one is done to judge. The Holiday Inn is just soooo bad, with that terrible 70's style neon green script logo on the side, that the Hilton can't be worse. The new facade does look more contemporary, and once the refining details and the North and South facades are done I'm sure we'll be happier. Just removing the Holiday Inn logo will be an enormous upgrade...

- Garris

I walked past today and noticed they had installed a few of the new windows ( they are almost flush giving the building more sleek lines then the render ) on the font top left. I must admit i think they look sharp and will pull everything together. I think the building will look nice which is a large step from what we had no matter how you look at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived