COMPLETE: Hilton Downtown Providence

Steel is up on the addition on the LaSalle Square side of the building.

You know, I think I'm ready to give this one a formal thumbs up. While it'll never become a Providence architectural landmark, it's certainly far more contemporary now, and the design shows far more attention to detail and, coming down from The Hill, it fits into the skyline far better (especially with the Westin) than before. Even at this early stage of construction, it's no longer the flat out eyesore it was before.

It's impressive that once the Hilton is done and the Dunk reconstruction, you'll be able to walk from Nordstom all the way through to the Hilton. Pretty sweet for small to medium sized convention business or NCAA playoffs I'd think...

- Garris

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can tell just from those pictures... the window replacement are going to be what makes this project shine like a bald guy

Yup, and the windows are designed with vertical lines, emphasizing height.

What'll really make a huge difference is when the terrible North and South facades of the building are done. Still, it looks much, much better already, even in this early stage.

- Garris

I don't know how this falls into current plans but I came across this new rendering of the Hilton residences at:

http://www.humphreys.com/v3_projects.php?p...project_type=HT

That link was going to the Westin II page, here's the link to the Hilton page that references the below rendering: link

-Cotuit

hilton.jpg

It obviously looks a lot like the Westin which it seems they also designed. Hmm. I don't mind too much I suppose.

Why would they want to persue a design that basically is a ripoff of Westin II. C'mon, how about some original thinking here?? I like the idea of an addition to the skyline, but as much as I love the Westin II I'd rather see something different for the Hilton.

Why would they want to persue a design that basically is a ripoff of Westin II. C'mon, how about some original thinking here?? I like the idea of an addition to the skyline, but as much as I love the Westin II I'd rather see something different for the Hilton.

This doesn't make sense to me, it can't be a current proposal, it doesn't go with what they are currently doing at the Hilton at all.

hilton.jpg

If I'm interpreting this right, the viewer of this image is floating somewhere over the center of Route 95, Atwells runs along the front, and the ramp to 95 north runs along the left. There's a little shorter structure poking out from the right which would be the current Holiday Inn/Hilton. Except the bit poking out is brick clad, which is obviously not what they are doing.

But then, the more I look at it, I wonder if this might be the Public Safety parcel with Broadway running along the front and LaSalle Square at the left (the viewer would be standing in the middle of Paolino's parking lot at the circular gas station site). But still, why ape the Westin's design? It's all quite strange.

Perhaps this is the Public Safety parcel and someone just posted the wrong rendering to the Hilton page.

I think it's definitely the Hilton addition. If you compare it with the b&w rendering, the base of the bldg is very similar by being something like a parallelogram or a trapazoid.

Maybe it's a first run through, TPG may have instructed them to put Westin II there as a starting point for refinement of a final design suited for the space. It would be nice if Gusterfell would chime in on this one.

I think it's definitely the Hilton addition. If you compare it with the b&w rendering, the base of the bldg is very similar by being something like a parallelogram or a trapazoid.

I was thinking the same. The basic massing of this building is also very similar to the first color rendering on page one of this thread. Other than the change in materials and roof treatment, it is pretty much the same proposal. Very strange.

Heehee! Ask and you shall receive.

Maybe it's a first run through, TPG may have instructed them to put Westin II there as a starting point for refinement of a final design suited for the space.

That makes sense to me. I doubt that they would actually build something so nearly identical to the Westin. However, since both are similar projects (hotel/condo towers added to existing buildings), it makes sense to use the Westin design as a starting point.

In any case this could be a good sign. Any new renderings show that they are moving forward on the tower design, which might mean it has more than an outside chance of being built.

Archived