Orlando Surpassed Miami

sunshine

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

No they don't. It is what they call a General Aviation Airport. Meaning everything but airlines. This is a place where you just hop into a plane and leave, smililar to taking your car off your lot and getting on the road.

Hey do they have inspection stations at Orlando Executive Airport?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 2 weeks later...

That whole picture is, in fact, the airport, and I think theres even more that isn't shown. Most of it is roadways, retention ponds, runways, etc. The actual airport/terminals is just the 4-leafed section in the middle.

MIA on the other hand, is a whole lot of airport, sandwiched on a small parcel. Theres not the amount of available space that MCO has. MIA feels like a much larger airport, with the hustle and bustle, etc., but that's only because MCO has such an intelligent design and is managed so efficiently, that it doesn't feel like as busy of an airport that it is.

MCO doesnt look busy when u land most of the time, but actually there are many B747 from Virgin lining up to land back to back during peak season. It is formerly an air force base that handle B-52, so it is capable to handle A380 with minor upgrade only. The American Airlines terminal suffer major destruction during hurricance, not sure if it is reopened.

Hold on,I wanted to know this for some times.Whats the Miami Intermodal Center or something like that.Ive seen it before,like passed by,but i havent found out what it is.Its by MIA.

I think its something about transportation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The intermodal center is an enormous facility that will serve to link all of the major forms of transportation in Miami... Tri-Rail, Metrorail, buses, and the airport. Also included in the facility is a gigantic rental car facility. This is something that is very much needed in Miami, and will be a huge asset to the airport.

• 4 months later...

By the end of the year, MCO will surpass MIA by 2 million passengers per year according to forecasts- unless the inc. fuel prices drive up ticket prices.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On a purely selfish note, I must say "ugh" to this factoid. There was a time in the not-so-distant past where MCO wasn't jammed pack during off-peak travel periods. Now it's crowded all the time, whether it's Christmas Eve or a random Tuesday in March.

Getting to the airport early...a tough price to pay for progress.

OIA tops state in nonstop domestic destinations

Link to Orlando Business Journal Article

In Brief

Orlando International Airport now serves more nonstop domestic destinations than any other airport in Florida, with 88. It is now the 13th-busiest airport in the U.S. for scheduled direct nonstop destinations, ahead of Newark, St. Louis, and Washington Dulles.

My Opinion

We are extremely fortunate to have a busy airport full of so many low-cost carriers. Not only do we have a huge array of nonstop flights, we get to experience much lower fares than most other large cities experience due to Orlando primarily being a tourist destination. On top of that, the airport features a pleasant and expansive design that makes it easy a breeze to navigate compared to a lot of other airports. Spend some time traveling out of Boston (BOS), New York (LGA, JFK), Miami (MIA), or Washington DC (IAD, DCA), and you'll appreciate Orlando International so much more.

hyatt-orlando-airport-photo6_a.jpg

MCO.jpg

A few answers to some of the questions asked above:

[1] Orlando International Airport [MCO] sits on about 15,000 acres, which makes it the third largest airport in the U.S. in terms of Area [Denver and Dallas/Ft. Worth are 1 and 2].

The airport property is indicated in the photo above by the red lines. The white areas are the site of the future South Terminal Complex. You can also see the proposed extensions of Runways 18/36 R/L in order to accommodate the new terminal. This will make 18/36R about 14,000

Yeah, I concur.

Regarding the proposed South Terminal Complex and the white lines in the photo, where did you get that layout of proposed runway extensions and taxiways-- Is that an official proposed layout or a photoshop rendering you did?

I remember a couple of designs back a few years ago they were mulling over-- is this one of those or something new?

At one point the superimposed runway extensions [along with the property boundaries and other future improvements] were on the GOAA website under the 'Commercial Property' header but have since been replaced with just a Google Maps image.

At some point I saved a screen capture of the original image which also included the Orlando Executive Airport [ORL] property.

Archived