Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjcatl2

Can't cities be original?How many SoHo ripoffs...

..are there? Why do cities have to have So..this and No.. that...? Come on, really. It seems that everytime I read about a city, I hear about a new one. Today I was browsing some threads and saw that Charlotte now has district named like above....

..are there?  Why do cities have to have So..this and No.. that...?  Come on, really.  It seems that everytime I read about a city, I hear about a new one.  Today I was browsing some threads and saw that Charlotte now has district named like above....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

people just like to abbreviate things. it's like in nashville we have SoBro. it's simply an abreviation for southern broadway. easier to say, that's all.

..are there?  Why do cities have to have So..this and No.. that...?  Come on, really.  It seems that everytime I read about a city, I hear about a new one.  Today I was browsing some threads and saw that Charlotte now has district named like above....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same thing! I think they call it being a copy cat? No so's in Atlanta.

There's a SoWa in Boston (South of Washington Street), I want to smack anyone I hear saying it. I don't think it's really taking though. It's actually more east of Washington than south anyway. :rolleyes:

There is the SOB in Charleston, SC. South of Broad that is..... I don't think its a rip-off. I guarantee none of these palces are the same :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one in the thread you saw about Charlotte was made up by a forumer here. It doesn't exist. :rofl:

I will point out there is a SoHo in both London & NYC. Which one was the copycat?

The one in the thread you saw about Charlotte was made up by a forumer here.  It doesn't exist.    :rofl:

I will point out there is a SoHo in both London & NYC.  Which one was the copycat?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NYC.

I don't believe the term SoHo existed in New York until the 70's.

I do think the copycats try to make areas sound cool as well as just to abbreviate. Although I know they are abbreviations, I have never thought about what exactly the Ho in SoHo stands for. Can anyone help?

Yeah and while we're at it California can change its state name and Oakland can become East San Francisco (I believe the Pennsylvania versions predate both) . . . tired of everyone thinking of the Pacific when Pittsburghers talk about neighborhoods around here :P

Nashville, too, has jumped onto the bandwagon with our SoBro district. It is, in fact, an area "SOuth of BROadway" which at one time was nothing but light industry and street corner hustlers. Now, the area is in a huge redevelopment district which includes the large arena, Country Music Hall of Fame, the new Hilton Suites, the under-construction Symphony Center, numerous plans for additonal lodging and condos/commerical endeavors, including new urban boulevards, new ballpark/residential and the extensive Rolling Mill Hill projects. New life indeed is coming to a part of town long forgotten. Identity becomes important.

Historically, the north and south distinction has used Broadway as a line of separation between north and south. For instance, Second Ave. North as opposed to Second Ave. South and so on. It does sound a bit copycat-ish in a way, but the identity will grow and will legitimize as time goes on. I even find myself using it as a "locator" when describing where I am.

In London too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the London's Soho dates back a bit further. It was originally an area of parkland where rabbits were hunted. Apparently, "So Ho" was the rabbit hunter's cry - like "Tally Ho" for fox hunting. The New York SoHo was just made up from what I can gather.

SoMA is San Francisco's much used term for the South of Market area. Market Street is the street in SF that bisects the city in a very dramatic way. This is a very large area, and is very much the cultural uprising of the city. It even has it's own magazine.

soma-map.gif

Soho in London is not an abbreviation. It's a holdover from the days when foxhunts were held in the area, I can't remember exactly why, but "soho" was the call to start the hunt.

In Vegas there's a condo development named SoHo Lofts which, I would think, rather compliments NY's SoHo.

West Hollywood CA is considered WeHo by the locals.