Nashville Poverty map

BrandonTO416

I spent 6 hours browsing around the city today. I didn't take a single pic, weather conditions weren't really good for that anyhow. But what I can say is that I felt like making a general representation of where wealth and poverty lies in this region.

This map isn't perfect, but its a general map I threw together in about 5 minutes.

povertymap.gif

KEY: Blue is relative to extreme wealth generally speaking; Yellow is lower working class to lower middle class generally speaking; Red is dire poverty generally speaking.

Again, this is a general map. I know there are exceptions, but these lines tell a lot.

We need to work on poverty around here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wouldn't say that all of that is in the red is high poverty. sure it does have some poor areas, but there are a lot of nice areas in the east nashville sector that are middle class. and i'd say that poverty line would end right when you go south of 440. it's almost a complete turnaround there. you go from the melrose area to affluent woodmont and oak hill. it's really weird. and i've never thought of the area by the airport to be extremely wealthy. i've always thought that was more middle class. when i think wealthy i think west and south west nashville (belle meade, green hills) and brentwood. nice map btw, are you planning on going into urban development? you definatly have the skills from what i've seen.

That's why East Nashville is yellow, though! This map is pretty darn accurate. You go mere blocks north of the 10x8 block downtown area and it gets so bad you really wonder how its this bad and is allowed to exist without major action being taken.

BTW, I did say this was a general map. Its not perfect. The parts of East Nashville I have listed in red do have a few good spots, Boscobel and Fatherland Streets are in red - but its surrounded by poverty stricken public housing. That is why I have it in red. Maybe I should have created a little hole like I did /w Germantown north of downtown where its becoming revitalized.

BTW, I'm in computer tech support working for Dell, I'm not quite an urban planner. But Real Estate, poverty control, and urban planning are my passions.

I don't have money to go back to college so I probably will enter that area without a degree in it for certain, that is if I end up in that route.

My degree is computer technology with minor in business.

Hmm..I wouldn't include Berry Hill in with the dire poverty...nor would I include Oak Hill or the immediate area. Berry Hill has a per capita income above the National Average and a Median Hom value above the level for the city of Nashville. Oak Hill has one of the highest incomes in the state (104,952) and the average house costs nearly 300,000.

Archived