Lexington Road Plan

emerging.me

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this on the news tonight. They desparately need to do something in Lexington. Last time I was over there (at rush hour) it was backed up from South Lake Drive for 2 miles towards Columbia.

I'm hoping they will post some of their maps some place.

And here's a bit from WIS...

Lexington leaders, DOT, law enforcement to meet on traffic Tues.

(Lexington) Jan. 31, 2005 - Cars back up on roads around Lexington Middle School as parents pick up more than a 1000 students. The intersection is just one Lexington trouble spot.

Another is nearby main street by the county courthouse.

They need more space with the number of people living here climbing quickly.

Some want to get rid of the grassy areas that cut into the street. Mayor Randy Halfacre says a nearby road would handle traffic coming in, "We have roughly 100,000 to 125,000 vehicles to go through Lexington everyday."

Mayor Halfacre says more lanes would score an "A" around nearby Lexington Middle School, "Everywhere I go I hear, what are we going to do about the traffic in Lexington."

One option is to make Main Street just a one way road, with all traffic heading out toward Columbia. The proposal is not popular with shop owners like George Trifos, "I think the current proposal has a better chance of having a negative effect on businesses and the people downtown."

Halfacre hopes the traffic summit leads to solutions, "We haven't had anyone singing out of the same hymn book on the same song." For now, he is seeking agreement on a short solution that can put the brakes on traffic trouble, "I'm not really sure what the ultimate solution will be, but at least it's a start."

The town has scheduled four traffic hearings Tuesday in a first-ever traffic summit. Town leaders and SC DOT officials will present their ideas for solving the traffic problems. You can attend at 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm, or 8:00pm, inside Lexington Town Hall.

Business owners are encouraged to attend the 2:00pm session.

I saw it on WIS as well. DT Lexinton is set up like a small town, rather than a suburd of Columbia. I've felt that for years. It just doesn't seem like the city is built for the area. It would work great if ti were more secluded, and didn't have to deal with Columbia commuters.

Part of the problem is that the capactiy of the roads is exceeded at most hours of the day. Maybe not at night. These are just two lane roads for the most part, and considering how lexington is growing it is understandable that traffic is bad. Its just not that bad. If capacity were increased in some wayit would alleviate alot of problems.

The biggest problem I see is that there are a few people who don't want to see change. With a project like this there has to be a few people who will give up a little. The one way street plan is going to be the best option in order to retain the current road system. It would require a restriping of roads and widening in a few places.

Here is a map of downtown Lexington in case you are infamiliar:

Lexingtonmap.jpg

Here is the map I saw on TV as best as I can recall. Its probably not accurate at all, and I guarantee it is not complete :)

Lexingtonmap_1way.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived