Dubai Biotechnology and Research Park

Dubai: Dubai will have the world's first free zone exclusively for the biotechnology industry.

Terming it the "next step forward" for Dubai in the Knowledge Age, General Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Defence Minister, yesterday launched the Dubai Biotechnology and Research Park.

"Dubai Biotechnology Initiative will create an ideal platform for the regional and international scientific community to interact closely with one of the sciences that is strongly linked to the Knowledge Age," said Shaikh Mohammad.

"I want the Dubai Biotechnology Initiative to be an incubator for researchers and scientists and a centre for production, creativity and development."

To be located on a 300-hectare stretch at Dubailand, DuBiotech will be developed over multiple phases.

Upon completion, the park development will cover over 30 million square feet of built-up area. Its infrastructure offering will comprise research and development (R&D) facilities, office space and residential facilities.

"I look forward to the outcome of this initiative. I have high hopes and I can clearly see its positive impact on the UAE and the whole region," Shaikh Mohammad said.

He said the Dubai Biotechnology Initiative follows in the steps of the Dubai Internet City, e-Government and Dubai Media City.

"Like them, it will spread the modern technology culture - which put the UAE on the map as a role model for the region and the world and made it a pioneer in the field of Information and Communication Technology."

"I want the Dubai Biotechnology Initiative to be a centre for civilisation and science in the UAE and to benefit the wider world."

The first phase of development of DuBiotech will be ready by early 2006.

11618-bio-tech.jpg

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived