Solar Decathlon

kinematix

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little follow-up on the Solar Decathlon which I got to visit down in DC. First of all there was an article in the Brown Daily Herald the other day:

http://www.browndailyherald.com/media/pape...n-1024146.shtml

In all the competition was considered a success but that comes mainly in the form of attendance records. Despite the fact that there was no sun the whole week, there were thousands upon thousands that lined up and stood in the rain to take tours of the homes. I got to see them all myself and there really was some good competition. RISD, while they didn't place well in the over-all, did very well in lighting and architecture, actually taking first for interior lighting. Budget was what allowed the winners to be successful in the over all comp because they could spend more on batteries and solar panels and because of the crappy weather the team that won was the team that had the most batteries. I should point out that even in the rain the solar panels generate electricity but not enough to create a substantial reserve unless you have lots of solar panels. Anyway, everyone I heard talking (tourists and competitors alike) loved the RISD house and everyone there was really impressed to see an art school in the competition. Here are some pics of my trip to the Solar Decathlon:

DSCN0567.jpg

DSCN0568.jpg

This was the line to get into the RISD house - The wood structure on the left is a shade pavillion which had information about the RISD house but didn't get to provide much shade :lol:

DSCN0574.jpg

The RISD roof garden

DSCN0580.jpg

Another shot of the RISD roof garden looking twords the solar array

DSCN0575.jpg

View of the solar village from the roof after hours

DSCN0583.jpg

Shot of the RISD interior - living room - interesting note: the ceiling is a heating and cooling unit

DSCN0584.jpg

DSCN0585.jpg

A couple (fuzzy) night shots of the RISD house

DSCN0596.jpg

Virgina Tech house - They got first place in architecture (3 mil+ budget)

DSCN0561.jpg

Another shot of the VT house

DSCN0554.jpg

Cal Poly House

DSCN0562.jpg

Maryland House

DSCN0601.jpg

Back of Maryland House

DSCN0570.jpg

Cornell House

Obviously not a solar house, here are a couple shots of the new Museum of the American Indian

DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0563.jpg

Archived