Far West Side Redevelopment

Scott

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here comes the Super Bowl in 2010 and posibly the Olimpics in 2012....

Considering what the Dolphins are planing for their stadium, and the Marlins Stadium, ...it looks like the beging of new and more glamorous projects thru out the sports world.

Well the bright side is that Bloomberg may be losing himself an election!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt Bloomberg's concerned about that right now. He would probably just be happy getting the stadium built or winning the olympics.

Its his political opponents who are mistepping. Politicians who are opposed to both the NETS arena in Brooklyn and the stadium on the Westside will find their support has eroded. Bloomberg will likely win re-election, though it will probably be a close one (it always is).

NY TIMES

(full article)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/01/nyregion/01stadium.html?

Jets Win Stadium Battle by 2 Touchdowns (the Vote Is 14-0)

stadium.span.jpg

The M.T.A. board said on Thursday that the Jets' plans for the West Side railyards would benefit the city the most.

By SEWELL CHAN and CHARLES V. BAGLI

April 1, 2005

.....The authority's chairman, Peter S. Kalikow, argued that the Jets' plan would be of greater benefit to the city, because it would assure the city's intention of extending the No. 7 subway line to the west, and would make it possible for the agency to sell development rights for the stadium property. Several members said those rights - which they said could be transferred to nearby properties to allow higher buildings - could be worth as much as $1 billion over time.

It fell to James S. Simpson, the chairman of the board's planning and real estate committee, to offer the most thorough defense of the board's position. The Cablevision offer would be worth taking if the transit system were desperate for cash and about to default on its bonds, he said, adding: "But that's not the case. I think we need to take the longer-term view."

Mr. Simpson argued that selling the development rights in future years would bring in more money than Cablevision's cash up front.

"We can't think of ourselves strictly as a transportation company," he said. "We are part of, and the most important part of, the economic engine of the City of New York."

That last post is a much better rendering of the stadium. I do understand the idea of it fitting in amongst the skyscrapers with the different materials used on the outside, but I wonder why the design will not allow spectators inside to see outside the stadium the river and the skyline. That would make for good shots from inside during games.

That last post is a much better rendering of the stadium.  I do understand the idea of it fitting in amongst the skyscrapers with the different materials used on the outside, but I wonder why the design will not allow spectators inside to see outside the stadium the river and the skyline.  That would make for good shots from inside during games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best view of the skyline is from New Jersey. Why don't they just stay there?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

where in gods name would people park????

Umm, they wouldn't. The thing would have been next to the fabulous (& soon-to-be-expanded Penn/Moynihan Station) and have the #7 subway extended out to it. The three people who would be stupid enough to drive would have to park in nearby garages.

Anyway, doesn't matter. The stadium isn't happening. :yahoo:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived