What I really want to see in downtown Flint is...

Pachuco

A larger & more expanded UM - Flint campus,a new building to join Flint's skyline,A fully operational and nationally known Capital theatre,more diverse restaurants including a 50s style family restaurant,more clothing retail and finally pedestrians from dusk til dawn. :)

Edited by Pachuco

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? I'm surprised there aren't any coney places in the downtown core. It's just so funny that there are so many in the city and only one in the greater downtown area.

I'd love to see all those things you mentioned. I'll add that I'd like to see the riverfront revitalized. And I'd love to see an urban neighborhood further down the river at that old Chevy site near Kettering. I want to see 3rd Ave. between Kettering and UM - Flint fully restored, including Atwood stadium and nearby small businesses lining the street.

I know this would never happen, but why not? I'd love to see a streetcar system that takes people from downtown to the Farmer's Market, Cultural Center and Kearsley Park, and from downtown to Kettering, Mott Park, and my proposed new urban neighborhood on the old Chevy site. :)

I know this would never happen, but why not? I'd love to see a streetcar system that takes people from downtown to the Farmer's Market, Cultural Center and Kearsley Park, and from downtown to Kettering, Mott Park, and my proposed new urban neighborhood on the old Chevy site. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know never say never,If Tim Herman has been teeling us the truth about his projects,I am %100 certain that this would happen.

• 2 weeks later...

It only took me about an hour and a half this time. Things were pretty slow from 696 to 12 Mile, and then from Crooks to Sashabaw. Gotta love rush hour in Detroit.

In downtown Flint, it would be nice to see some more shopping options. A department store would be nice. Lots of restaurants with lofts above would be nice, since they would lead to increased pedestrian traffic.

A downtown arcade would attract teens,kids and gamers. Also it would be nice if there more development near China one,Farmers market and more pedestrian firendly streets.A comedy club wold do wonders for the downtown area. Finally have any of ya'll noticed a large area full of tree(ugly ones at that) near the post office and highway,somebody build like a clock tower or a small park there.

Edited by Pachuco

Just about anything can be repaired. Are you talking about the Patterson building (next to Paul's Pipe Shop)? If so, I agree that something needs to be done about its facade. I don't think it should be torn down, though. There are 3 or 4 businesses on the ground level and a number law offices upstrairs. If it's not fully occupied, it's pretty close.

if they left the old IMA( A.K.A. Autoworld) around, it could have been the IMA again. Why did they destroy it anyway? It was bigger than the current one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I just want to clear something up. The IMA wasn't the same thing as Autoworld. The IMA is out on Center Road, and is called Perani's now. Autoworld was Flint's failed attempt at an amusement park based on the automotive industry...what a barrel of fun that sounds like! :rofl: But it's better now that Autoworld is gone because it gives U of M new opportunities to expand, and already has with the White Building.

Actually, he is talking about the old IMA, which was imploded several years back. It was used as a basketball & concert venue. The old IMA was later integrated into AutoWorld. The old auditorium was where the giant engine & rides were located. I went to Auto World once, but I was just a baby at the time.

I do remember the implosion, however. The IMA was constructed so strongly that the explosives failed to take the building down.

The IMA was down by the post office. The site is now owned by U of M - Flint. I'm not sure if they've built anything there or now.

autoworldlogo.gif

I forgot to mention that that was a good find, Allan. I've seen the site before, but I lost my bookmark when I got the new hard drive.

I couldn't even picture what AutoWorld looked like on the inside until I saw that site. Brought back some memories.

Don't you wish they could've save some of those "buildings" that were inside the dome?