Charlotte Hotels

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know of any major hotels that are being built in Charlotte or downtown currently, the only one in the region that is big just started construction...it's the Embassy Suites Hotel and Convention Center in Concord.

Here's the low down on that from the city of Concord's website:

The Convention Center is scheduled to take 18 months to complete. When finished it will have 365,000 square feet. The adjacent Embassy Suites hotel will have 11 stories with 308 suites and 57,299 square feet.

• 2 months later...

Trust me if Charlotte doesn't have one, then Raleigh certainly doesn't.  Raleigh had a Four Ponts by Sheraton, but it is being converted to a Westin.  Maybe you got that mixed up with a Four Seasons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I guess you are right. Opps. But when will they build one.

Personally I think Charlotte should go for a Grand hyatt or a Ritz-Carlton. That should help with this condo craze. Since the new arena is almost finished, we need some more hotels to compliment the Omni, Westin, and Hilton as Charlotte's High-Class hotels, that way we can land some big events and more national attention.

we just got a westin, and the hotel market has been soft here. i really don't think a luxury brand higher than the westin will come any time soon, unless it is a very small. I also wonder whether it would locate downtown, too. I know deedee's hotel was supposed to be somehow related to ritz, but i can't remember the details.

I agree that a grand hyatt would be nice, and would be similar to westin. hopefully that could go downtown, considering the only hyatt in charlotte is by southpark.

• 7 months later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13337661.htm

The Westin has now made all rooms non-smoking. I think that is a great sign, and I am so glad they didn't make an exception for NC. I think the more businesses that convert to non-smoking, the more "world class" we will become.

I think even smokers have become accustomed to nice clean buildings without the dust and stale smell of past smokers. I don't think it is too much to ask for smokers to go to a balcony or wait until they are outside.

I think it is good business, too. I can't tell you how many times I have rejected a hotel room (and if it happens too often, reject the whole hotel or chain) because it smells too strongly of smoke.

OK.....I am surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned that the ritz will open in Charlotte in 2008. Yes the ritz is expanding into Charlotte, that is the only other hotel that I can think of that is coming into Charlotte, other than that convention/hotel hybrid thing being built in concord.

OK.....I am surprised that no one in this thread has mentioned that the ritz will open in Charlotte in 2008. Yes the ritz is expanding into Charlotte, that is the only other hotel that I can think of that is coming into Charlotte, other than that convention/hotel hybrid thing being built in concord.

The Ritz-Carlton had its own thread, and was discussed pretty heavily:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13850

I think the Adam's Mark closing could potentially backfire. It will be good for lowering the denominator, but it could lead to the loss of some conventions. Convention business had rebounded to pre-9/11 levels according to the Observer, but the closing of the Adam's Mark is putting some of that in jeopardy. If the city doesn't have enough hotel space for those conventions, then all the hotels will lose that business.

It is paradoxical, but it was part of the theory that led to the city investment in building the Westin in the first place.

Hopefully, however, the short-term rise in occupancy percentage could lead to additional investment, and maybe a new hotel or two being announced. Maybe Ghazi's second tower?

In today's Business Journal....there is a rumor that Novare is considering opening a TWELVE hotel here. They're linked to residential tower, and are a bit more mod/hip than most hotels. I hope this would go Uptown and not with their next project at SouthPark.

Weren't early rumors that twelve could be the second tower at epicenter? Hopefully, it will be an uptown project rather than South Park, as South Park hotel room space doesn't help mitigate the loss of Adam's Mark for drawing conventions, etc.

I think atlrvr speculated that after Ghazi announced the possibility of a second tower. Don't forget that the one hotel in South Park (I think it's the Hyatt) is going condo so perhaps there will be demand for hotel space in that area as well. Personally I'm pulling for Uptown. Now that things are winding down for Avenue the folks at Novare will be able to transition their Cotton Mills office from Avenue sales to Twelve sales. :D

I think atlrvr speculated that after Ghazi announced the possibility of a second tower. Don't forget that the one hotel in South Park (I think it's the Hyatt) is going condo so perhaps there will be demand for hotel space in that area as well. Personally I'm pulling for Uptown. Now that things are winding down for Avenue the folks at Novare will be able to transition their Cotton Mills office from Avenue sales to Twelve sales. :D

I don't think that one will need a sales office :P But I could be wrong..

Archived