Charlotte Hotels

UrbanCharlotte

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is still going to be one of Lodgework's Suites hotel that will be going into the Concourse project.

Regarding Crowne Plaza...I am surprised they are going to redo that building. Usually Crowne Plaza's are a lot nicer than that. They are going to have to invest a LOT of money for the Crowne Plaza to be better than the Holiday Inn on College St.

^I was thinking the same thing. Like "strip it to the concrete and start over again". That hotel has a reputation for being a below-par property and well past its prime, and if all they change is the inside (as extensive as those renovations may be) and leave that grungy exterior with a new logo, I imagine it'll remain a Crowne Plaza for as long as it was a Best Western.... like 47 minutes.

I think you hit the nail on the head on that one. Crowne Plaza is normally a large city hotel that is usually situated in a prime time location and therefor charge their higher than holiday inn prices. Yes, they normally are a step or two above a holiday inn but thier locations are what normally seperate them from the HI chains. That building (and the big ugly parking deck) IMO is a huge eyesore as you come uptown but is much better suited for a HI than a Crowne Plaza. I don't see how they could make this a Crowne Plaza without a total retrofit of the outside of the building.

• 6 months later...

Well, I know what I just put on my wish list....a new Ian Schrager (of Studio 54 fame/infamy) hotel concept being developed by Marriott. Marriott announced yesterday that will build about 100 of these hotels world wide.

With an average size of 150-200 rooms, each of the hotels will reflect the best of the cultural and social milieu of its location and of the time. A diverse set of world-renowned architects and designers will be recruited to create one-of-a-kind buildings spanning the complete range of project types, from new construction, to conversions, to dramatic renovations. The partners expect these hotels to be not just the most aesthetically pleasing in their markets but to be the most environmentally responsible as well.

• 7 months later...

They are finally doing something to the exterior of The Blake!!! The older building is being painted right now on the side facing uptown -- looks better already where they painted it. Hopefully we'll see some new signage and a more finished look to the hotel. The current signs are just banners hung from the top of the two buildings, and the signs above the drive up check-in area are remnants of the Adam's Mark Hotel -- they just tore off the "Adams Mark" portion and left holes where the letters used to be and an off-center "Hotel" -- looked incredibly cheap.

I've heard that this place has gotten a little better to stay at. The lobby is actually supposed to be beautiful and the restaurant / bar is supposedly back open. The rooms are also supposed to be nice high-end toiletries and expensive linens. The only bad thing I've heard about is the outdated bathrooms.

Hopefully, this one's turning around. We need a nice boutique hotel uptown.

• 3 weeks later...

The Blake has a new sign!!! No more vinyl banners hanging from the top of the building!!!

Apparently there is also a new logo -- no more big orange "B." Now, it's a lower-case orange "b." Anyway, it sure does look nice compared to what I've been looking at every day for the past two years.

Also, the paint job seems to have taken an interesting turn. They aren't just painting the whole building that blueish-gray...on the larger tower, there's actually a tilted square of white which covers most of the face of the building. They still have a ways to go painting, but I've got a good feeling about it. Maybe this will end up being a boutique hotel that we can be proud of -- not embarrassed of. My fingers are crossed...

The Blake has a new sign!!! No more vinyl banners hanging from the top of the building!!!

Apparently there is also a new logo -- no more big orange "B." Now, it's a lower-case orange "b." Anyway, it sure does look nice compared to what I've been looking at every day for the past two years.

Also, the paint job seems to have taken an interesting turn. They aren't just painting the whole building that blueish-gray...on the larger tower, there's actually a tilted square of white which covers most of the face of the building. They still have a ways to go painting, but I've got a good feeling about it. Maybe this will end up being a boutique hotel that we can be proud of -- not embarrassed of. My fingers are crossed...

Changing the case (from upper to lower) and making it script doesn't seem very.... inspired. In fact the new lowercase b is kind of hard to discern as even being a B at all. If you're going to stick with that as your branding, I would have went with a stylized upper-case B, but yes, any change is good change I suppose.

I do like the effect of leaving the grid white against the light blue of the rest of the building.

• 9 months later...

I put my parents up at the Blake two weekends ago for a Xmas visit. The lobby looks very fashionable...well everything looks fashionable....but it's still a junky old hotel. I got a good deal for them, and they don't require much, but I would pay $50 more for another hotel if I had to do it again. You know that old saying about the "lipstick on a pig"? ...yeah....

Archived