Just Moved in to Eola South!

corpkid

Hello all! I've been a lurker for some time, but decided to add my 2 cents!

Anyways, I moved into Eola South last weekend. WOW - what a great location and place. Very, very cool indeed. I moved to DeBary (exit 108 on I-4) two years ago to be with my partner . After my 1st visit downtown a year ago, I was hooked! What a great city! I moved here from Manhattan, and previously have lived in Boston, Hartford, and Springfield, MA. I have to say that Orlando is BY FAR the best city in terms of sheer activity and livability. NYC was good, but a little over-scaled. Boston was too cold. Springfield and Hartford were too gang-ridden and delapitaded (and cold :P).

Anyways, as I look out from my balcony upon Lake Eola and the up-and-coming Sanctuary I'm totally blown away by the vibe that is going on down here. EVERYONE is feeling it here down here.

I'm so proud of this city and all of the urban revitalization that is going on - it really is a model process... I'm of to WALK (yeah!) to dinner at Dexter's of Thorton Park. I am glad to be back in the city.

I'll post pics of my place, of the Sanctuary and of the area in days to come.

Glad to be here (and here at this board)!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations, corpkid! The redevelopment happening in your immediate area is going to be truly exciting over the next year or two. Every time I drive by Eola South, I have to pause and admire it. It's just stunning. The location is absolutely enviable. I drove by the other night and for the first time noticed that lights were turned on in one of the units; don't know whether it was yours. I can only imagine how much fun it must be to live there.

Drooling with envy from my shabbier digs in Colonialtown (home of the fixer-upper roaring 20's bungalow and possums aplenty).....

Colonialtown is the neighborhood on the north side of 50, immediately west of Mills. Imagine you're driving along Mills toward Winter Park... it's all those streets & houses off to your right, behind Blue Bistro, etc.

I think there's also a Colonialtown South, a much smaller section on the south side of 50, just west of Mills. The main area is north of 50.

I mentioned the possums because on my street, after the hurricanes, we've had so many trees come down that the "critter" activity has increased. I had some horrific experiences with rats in my attic right around Halloween (when trying to retrieve a trap from the attic, the trap fell on my head -- and it had two rats; one that was dead, and a live one that began squealing as soon as it hit me... I finally gave up and hired an exterminator!)

Colonialtown is like a junior, wannabe Thornton Park. There are some nice properties but a lot of it is still being gentrified and spruced up. A decent bungalow can be had for about $200k; if you look hard and aren't as picky, you could probably scrounge up a handyman special for less than that.

I think the key to finding good properties as affordably as possible is being willing to wait, and hunt. I heard the other day that the big old house at the southwest corner of Washington and Mills (big white one? I think it's being sandblasted and repainted by the new owners?) sold for an amazingly low price a few weeks ago. Something like $190k?? It was a foreclosure or something like that, I heard.

I heard the other day that the big old house at the southwest corner of Washington and Mills (big white one? I think it's being sandblasted and repainted by the new owners?) sold for an amazingly low price a few weeks ago. Something like $190k?? It was a foreclosure or something like that, I heard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is actually becoming harder and harder. That house on the corner of Thornton and Washington is currently pending still (even though its being worked on). Its list price was $345,000.

Welcome to the Neighborhood.

I've been lurking around here too. Eola south is pretty much in my view from my loft (in TPC) and it's such cool building to look at.

I agree about the VIBE, we've been downtown for 5 months now and could never imagine living in the suburbs again.

The pictures will be forthcoming by the end of this week, I guess. I'm just now getting some of the furniture and stuff in place and have been so busy unpacking and my family was in town this weekend... :wacko:

The units are really nice, though it is hard getting used to a condo after living in a big house. The garge is a pain to get in and out of, I think because the city made them change the orig. plans to have the entrance off Central and the exit on Pine. Now they both enter from the back and it's really tight. Also, my unit is right above the opener, and it's pretty loud everytime someone comes or goes. I've been promised they'll make it quieter once the building is completed.

This is actually becoming harder and harder.  That house on the corner of Thornton and Washington is currently pending still (even though its being worked on).  Its list price was $345,000.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree... it is becoming harder and harder.

Well, I was floored when someone told me it had gone for such a low price. I guess it was just a rumor that was going around. Just another urban myth!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived