Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are a doll to post those. Thanks.

I just had a ringing endorsement for the Wayland Sq neighborhood from another source - a friend's husband who lived in Providence for four years. I'm glad I have a starting point for my apartment search.

-Emily

Tomorrow, some photos of Federal Hill I took tonight while waiting to meet people for dinner (and the kinda' nasty Federal Hill experience I had...  Sorry, Cotuit).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do tell. Did it involve big furry rodents? I have that experience just about every day on da Hill.

Ah, my Federal Hill story...

Well, first of all, I have never been harrassed before in Providence when taking photos. Well, at least until the other night in Federal Hill. I arrived early waiting to meet co-workers for dinner, so I decided to whip my camera out of my car and take some photos. Well, within minutes, thuggish teens/college guys start coming up to me, getting way too close, and are like, "Hey, guy, come on! Take my photo! Take my photo! That's some camera there ya' got! Can I have one like that? Huh? Huh?" Slammed Civics would go by with guys yelling at me out the windows. Really bizarre. Then I get to the Providence Oyster Bar, one of my least favorite Fed Hill restaurants, but it has a nice frontage to photograph, and I snap three shots, including the following:

federalhillstreetscene4zk.jpg

federalhilloysterbar2wf.jpg

Well, after taking that shot, a restaurant employee comes out and says, "Hey! Who'd you with, huh? Who said you could shoot here?" I reply, "I'm with myself. I'm not shooting for anyone." He gives me an angry look and glares back to someone else through the window standing next to the door, and then goes back inside. I think to myself, "Hum, someone afraid of a little Mob investigation?" and decide to smartly move on.

My next destination is the snow-encrusted Depasquale Plaza, where the lovely new Dolce Villa hotel is lit-up like the Starship Enterprise in space, making photographing the Square very difficult (it throws off all the metering, as you can see below):

federalhilldepasqualep2yx.jpg

Well, yet again, the person you see in the left of the image comes up to me (he came from the hotel) and again asks me who I'm with and am I photographing the hotel. What's up here?

By this time, I was near frozen solid and my fingers were screaming out in pain from the cold, so I went back to my car but snapped this shot (which I've wanted to do for a while) looking down Atwells towads Eagle Square:

federalhillchurches31fj.jpg

So..... Interesting 20 minutes of photography. Have a good weekend everyone!

- Garris

PS: Anyone have any tips for how to photography Depasquale Square?

I've had the boys yelling out of their cars at me when I was taking pictures before. All the kids from the suburbs grease their hair and come up to Federal Hill and act like they're god's gift to women, it's funny. I won't say anything about the 'women' they hang out with. :rolleyes:

Stephanie Izzo has some great Federal Hill shots on her website.

Spectacular photos Garris.

This one in particular rubs me the right way. ;)

thomaslookupstreet4up.jpg

Providence really has some nice looking neighborhoods. New England at its best. By the way, I've had similar experiences with rowdy teenagers while taking photos in Hartford. Some times it gets really annoying because kids will come up to me and say "what are you doing yo!?"...while I'm standing there taking pictures...I get a little snippy, and I say back "what do you think I'm doing!?". But it gets to me sometimes...I guess people think itys weird to walk around Hartford taking photos. This is why for the most part I stick to skyline photos because I don't actually have to be on the streets (I can be 5, 10, 15 miles away). I hope people's attitudes change once the city becomes more vibrant and a person walking around downtown snapping pictures isnt seen as "odd".

Socom, thanks for the kind words. I can certainly imagine that you get similarly harrassed in Hartford as I did the other night here on Federal Hill. BTW: Are you the same Socom that posts on Roadfly.org?

What better way than to start the week with a typical skyline shot of Providence at Sunset? Here it is:

img01674qf.jpg

Also, as some "bonus" shots, since we had Emily posting from Chicago, I thought I'd revisit my few Windy City photos. I've been to Chicago several times, but stupidly only photographed it once during a whirlwind one day stay. When I next make it back (whenever that is) I'll have to bring the camera.

skyline16ob.jpg

residentialtower5ag.jpg

cityfromthestairs6tq.jpg

Have a good Monday everyone!

- Garris

Excellent photos as always Garris!

Might we have our own mini-Chicago River like skyscraper valley once the proposed building around Waterplace are finished?

But sorry about your experience the other night. I find it a little odd, and mostly kids just trying to act tough, I'm sure (the others associated with restaurants and whatnot are just annoying...). I haven't had many problems with hassling like this, and I'm walking around the southside all the time with my camera, but maybe I've been lucky.

Anyway, I hope the experience doesn't discourage you from photographing our neighborhoods over here, as there are countless beautiful places and buildings on the west and southsides. Real diamonds in the rough.

-ML

I have a very long frame of one entire side of Benefit Street here. Not the best, but a comprehensive panarama of one side of a historic street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the site, and thanks for ArtInRuins!

Speaking of historic, here is a shot of Providence's First Baptist, the first First Baptist. Have a good Tuesday!

firstbaptist152ni.jpg

- Garris

Excellent photos as always Garris!

Thanks for the kind words :-). They're all appreciated. As long as everyone enjoys the photos, I'm happy to keep posting. I take the kind of photos I wanted to find on the web before I started this hobby...

Might we have our own mini-Chicago River like skyscraper valley once the proposed building around Waterplace are finished?

We can only hope. I think that the Waterplace developments will be too separated for that "canyon" effect, sadly, but Westminster after OTW, on the other hand...

Anyway, I hope the experience doesn't discourage you from photographing our neighborhoods over here, as there are countless beautiful places and buildings on the west and southsides. Real diamonds in the rough.

Quite true... I'll be heading over there soon... I'd feel a lot better doing it in a group or at least with one other person, though...

- Garris

I'd like to upload a collection of photos that I have. Can anyone recommend to me a good site that has a lot of space and maintains the quality of the pics?

I've used different sites in the past, but I wanted to know what you use.

Thanx

--vallon

I use Photobucket. There is a free level with quite a generous level of storage. I'm currently on a paid level (which is quite reasonable) as I've exceded that generous limit.

Your ISP may also provide you with some free space. I know Cox does here in Rhode Island.

Check out this thread for more suggestions.

I use Photobucket. There is a free level with quite a generous level of storage. I'm currently on a paid level (which is quite reasonable) as I've exceded that generous limit.

Your ISP may also provide you with some free space. I know Cox does here in Rhode Island.

Check out this thread for more suggestions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanx :) - I'm gonna try photobucket. I'm not worried about posting hundreds of photos quite yet... although I have collected quite a few shots of Providence and other cities. I actually played around with that rail transit idea I had yesterday and wanted to share that with everyone. So i'll go with photobucket for now. But if anyone else knows of a great site - feel free to let me know.

Edited by Vallon

Ah, summer...

Here are some "art" or "character" shots around Providence's East Side. Does every photo need to be of an urban scene? NO!

Here's a typical classy sidewalk on Prospect Street near the RISD campus:

prospectsummersidewalk0zf.jpg

Down the street, an iron fence:

eastsidefence2xd.jpg

Moving farther down the street, the driveway entrance to a cluster of Brown University buildings:

browndriveentrance9ue.jpg

Later that afternoon, an unreal sunset reflecting off the yellow siding of an historic home:

housesiding8xn.jpg

Coming soon, would Roger Williams be proud of his Providence today?

rogerwilliamsshadow7xo.jpg

TGIF!

- Garris

PS: Ok, one urban skyline shots, through the iron fence :D

spokesskyline9hl.jpg

Here's a typical classy sidewalk on Prospect Street near the RISD campus:

prospectsummersidewalk0zf.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you venture into the gardens behind the Woods-Gerry Building. The public is allowed back there, there are some interesting views to be had.

And, as a bonus, I'll finish up some of my Chicago photos. 

- Garris

Hi Garris,

I have a few photos of Chicago that I took recently (you inspired me to break out my new digital camera - only two months old). I feel like an idiot, but I'm not sure how to insert them. Do I need to have them posted on a website first?

-Emily