Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Congratulations!  I promise you that you won't be disappointed.  Take some time to read the manual and discover the power of the camera. 

On a different topic, has anyone ever wondered what it might be like to live in one of the future communities on the East Providence waterfront?  What your view would be at night?  Well, here's your answer, in a somewhat odd picture...  You'd have this lovely view of Providence, the East Side, and they bay.  Not a bad vista from your back porch, huh?  I'll have to return to this spot in the future:

providencefromeastprov7ye.jpg

And, as a bonus, I'll finish up some of my Chicago photos. 

Have a great Monday everyone!

- Garris

childskyline4pe.jpg

skyline26qp.jpg

skyline36ah.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, don't give up! Let me know what you were trying to do, I can help you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have the photos posted to an msn group website and I attempted to use the IMG code button to add the location. I got an error message and then suddenly it had posted my "reply".

Now, I'm guessing I screwed up and hit something that posted it, but I'm not sure how to get around the error message about "dynamic tags" not being allowed. :rolleyes:

Now, I'm guessing I screwed up and hit something that posted it, but I'm not sure how to get around the error message about "dynamic tags" not being allowed. <ahttps://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_rolleyes.gif' alt=':rolleyes:'>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately MSN Groups do not allow hotlinking (which is what you are doing when you use IMG tags around an image URL).

You can either post a link to your images at MSN for us to visit. Or you can sign up for a free image host like PhotoBucket, flikr, or a number of others.

Ah, life occasionally intrudes into Urban Planet :D .

It's been three days since my last post! So much for the "photo of the day." Anyway, three days missed, three new photos to answer the question:

"Would Roger Williams be pround of Providence today?"

What do you all think?

Have a great Thursday!

rwcitydayhoriz4qt.jpg

rwcityduskvert3vg.jpg

rwcitysunsethoriz9mw.jpg

Bonus Image! Minneapolis' Warehouse district (a nightclub/restaurant part of the city) at night during some cool fog... Enjoy!

minneapoliswarehousefog1lo.jpg

IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!

It's actually supposed to be nice out on Saturday too, you know what that means...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations!! Start posting some photos here and help me out! BTW: If you A95 was anything like my A70 was, the "landscape" setting almost perfectly meters and sets what you'll need for streetscape photography. I'd usually see what it recommended as a start and then tweak the settings on my own.

Have fun!

- Garris

Excellent photo. You're leaving that to come to Providence? Must be a good opportunity!

Um . . . there's got to be a way to delete a posting . . . er, that sucked.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want me to delete a post, just edit it to say "Please Delete" and when I see it I'll wisk it off into the trash.

Hey Emily,

Nice photo! (you too Garris, but you get that all the time...)

What a view....

-ML

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks ML!

I will be in Providence this weekend to find an abode for the coming year -- my camera will be at my side so perhaps I can actually post a Providence photo to the Providence Photo forum!

For now though, here's another shot taken in Chicago.

Hancock2.jpg

Two shots from the new camera. I haven't finished reading through the manual yet, and really learned how to use it, so these are really just point-and-shoot pics. This first one I've wanted to take for a while, and on my walk home from work today the light wasn't really right for it, but a little tweaking in Photoshop made it presentable.

20050318009.jpg

I just really like all the signs in this shot, I'm really big on typography and am just fascinated by lettering and signage. This is also a very interesting healthy 1/3 block of Washington Street, now we need to expand that.

This one is exactly as it came out of the camera, I did compress it a bit to host it online, but the colours in this image, without manipulation are why I needed a new camera. Also, I'm loving my ability to zoom, far too often I would see a shot with my eyes then look through the camera at it, and realize there was all this crap that I was mentally cropping out.

20050318008.jpg

Cotuit - I like the photos. 

Tight streets might make for tough commercial area street shots (as Garris has commented on), but they're perfect for the "aisle of cards" signage you have shown us.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, I really love that collection of signs, they are all so interesting graphically. I should try it again though to see if I can get a little more of the Cuban Revolution sign in the shot.

Nice shots Cotuit. I like the one of the signs... That's a unique "only in a city" type of view. Keep 'em coming!!

For my contribution today, I thought I'd add a tough shot. Tough because it was hard to get in a good position to take, tough because the lighting was very difficult (it's still a little overexposed), and tough because all the artificial lighting gives some strage colors. I'll have to come back to this area later.

Still, I like the sparse modernist elegance of the new train station contrasted with the more Baroque (I know that isn't the architectural style, it's Italian Renaissance Revival Style) State Capitol, especially at night, with no distractions. Enjoy!

- Garris

capitoltrainstationcopy6kj.jpg

BONUS Image: Continuing on the Minneapolis theme, the center of the city, looking up...

skyscrapercenter9zv.jpg

Nice shots Cotuit. I just love that view of the Westin down the alley. I've taken it in the past too. Keep the shots of the signs coming too. Signs make an urban commerical environment.

BTW, a bit of advice: I don't know if it's your jpeg compression or you post-editing, but I'd tune down either one or both, as they're (at least on my monitor) giving your photos an odd, almost unnatural cartoon-book look at times.

I spent this past Saturday at Newport, which was only my second time there and really my first time wandering the Thames St. area. Interesting place. Architecturally, it's a gem. It's like what a city would look like if it was all made up of Benefit Streets. However, there was some resort town nastiness. Lots of cars driving around with house music blaring out of open windows, lots of guys with slicked back hair and tacky women... Not nearly as Earthy as Providence.

When I go to Newport, you all get the photos. I can't wait to head back on a warmer day with better lighting... A preview of what's to come...

newportcollege8le.jpg

Have a great week!

- Garris

[snip]... the Westin is way too bright. The signs are going to be a litle project for me, I just love iconography and typography.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. The light is really tough right now... Very harsh. I was hoping it would be partly cloudy this Saturday to blunt it somewhat, but it didn't happen.

I'll post my shot of the "Westin alley" later this evening...

Again, I love the signage idea... Providence is littered with fantastic signage all over the place. Go to Fox Point and walk down Ives... There are some great old commerical signs there (Ives St feels like it's transported in time from the late 60's/early 70's).

Where is the peanuts/liquors signs from? I don't immediately recognize them. Are they from Washington as well?

- Garris