Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Hey everyone,

Here's a detail shot from Washington St downtown:

washstdetail4hu.jpg

It's also an excuse for me to post some photos I had from last year of Madison, WI. It isn't my best stuff, but the photos were just sitting there so I decided to post them. Of all the times I was in Madison, I only took photos once, on a miserable day over about an hour or two.

In many was, it's like Providence's Midwestern sister city. It's downtown population is a little larger, but its metro is a bit smaller. There are many similarities. They are both very much defined by similar looking Capitols, both are university towns with some additional business backbone, both have restaurant districts that are regional draws, and they have very similar liberal politics. Both are considered draws for young people and both are also considered great places to retire. Both are having downtown residential booms (although Madison's has been going on for longer). They are both in the shadows of larger metros (in their case, Chicago), and both are second tier regional transit centers. Both have dramatically developed their waterfronts in high profile fashion (Waterplace in Providence, and the Monona Terrance convention center in Madison)

The big differences between the cities are in layout and feel. Providence has its narrow, canyon like downtown in the Northeast style with a brace of skyscrapers. Madison is set on a hill, surrounded by lakes, in concentric circles around its capitol in a unique fasion with the large, wide, relaxed streets that define Midwestern cities... You'll see what I mean. Madison has, arguably, embraced its waterfronts better than Providence, despite Providence having more potential in this regard. Madison, as far as I know, doesn't also have an area quite an entrenched, poverty-wise, as Prov's South side.

That said, here are the photos:

Across a lake looking from a pier:

madisonskyline10pr.jpg

The Capitol:

capitol12zv.jpg

capitol26dv.jpg

capitol31rz.jpg

The funky State Street restaurant area (which are slightly blurry, since I didn't have my tripod):

statestreet15wf.jpg

statestreet27bi.jpg

statest35sb.jpg

statest46om.jpg

A view from inside a State St. restaurant:

madisonrestaurant3ll.jpg

A few Downtown views (notice the wide, relaxed streets):

lake12av.jpg

downtown1copy9qa.jpg

madisonwebalt7oz.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour...

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone,

Here's a detail shot from Washington St downtown:

washstdetail4hu.jpg

It's also an excuse for me to post some photos I had from last year of Madison, WI.  It isn't my best stuff, but the photos were just sitting there so I decided to post them.  Of all the times I was in Madison, I only took photos once, on a miserable day over about an hour or two. 

In many was, it's like Providence's Midwestern sister city.  It's downtown population is a little larger, but its metro is a bit smaller.  There are many similarities.  They are both very much defined by similar looking Capitols, both are university towns with some additional business backbone, both have restaurant districts that are regional draws, and they have very similar liberal politics.  Both are considered draws for young people and both are also considered great places to retire.  Both are having downtown residential booms (although Madison's has been going on for longer).  They are both in the shadows of larger metros (in their case, Chicago), and both are second tier regional transit centers.  Both have dramatically developed their waterfronts in high profile fashion (Waterplace in Providence, and the Monona Terrance convention center in Madison)

The big differences between the cities are in layout and feel.  Providence has its narrow, canyon like downtown in the Northeast style with a brace of skyscrapers.  Madison is set on a hill, surrounded by lakes, in concentric circles around its capitol in a unique fasion with the large, wide, relaxed streets that define Midwestern cities...  You'll see what I mean.  Madison has, arguably, embraced its waterfronts better than Providence, despite Providence having more potential in this regard.  Madison, as far as I know, doesn't also have an area quite an entrenched, poverty-wise, as Prov's South side. 

That said, here are the photos:

Across a lake looking from a pier:

madisonskyline10pr.jpg

The Capitol:

capitol12zv.jpg

capitol26dv.jpg

capitol31rz.jpg

The funky State Street restaurant area (which are slightly blurry, since I didn't have my tripod):

statestreet15wf.jpg

statestreet27bi.jpg

statest35sb.jpg

statest46om.jpg

A view from inside a State St. restaurant:

madisonrestaurant3ll.jpg

A few Downtown views (notice the wide, relaxed streets):

lake12av.jpg

downtown1copy9qa.jpg

madisonwebalt7oz.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well done as usual.

I do dispute your anology that Madison is "...like Providence's Midwestern sister city - much more like BABY sister. Madison is much less dense, much smaller, lacks the big urban city look (buildings, density, etc). To me it is more like Manchester, NH. and Providence more like Milwalkee, WI

Well done as usual.

I do dispute your anology that Madison is "...like Providence's Midwestern sister city -  much more like BABY sister. Madison is much less dense, much smaller, lacks the big urban city look (buildings, density, etc). To me it is more like Manchester, NH. and Providence more like Milwalkee, WI

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

except have you seen their state house? i thought it was ours at first...

Well done as usual.

Thanks for the kind words!

I do dispute your anology that Madison is "...like Providence's Midwestern sister city -  much more like BABY sister. Madison is much less dense, much smaller, lacks the big urban city look (buildings, density, etc). To me it is more like Manchester, NH. and Providence more like Milwalkee, WI

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and no... The city's population is slightly higher than Providence's, at about 210,000. But, in the Midwestern fashion, it's more spread out, as there is a big density difference. According to the 2000 census, Providence is 3 times as dense! We also have a larger immediate metro area.

Madison definitely feels larger than Manchester, however (and I thought Milwalkee felt larger than Providence). When were you last there? The area fronting Lake Monona is developing rapidly and has a bigger city feel, kind of like what you'd think looking down Washington St towards the CBD in Providence. Madison has a strict height restriction, though, as no building can be higher than the height of the base of the capitol dome atop the hill.

In other ways, though, they're very similar. Very similar overall neighborhood feel, very similar politics, very similar transportation strengths and weaknesses, and very similar dependence on local universities. Their residential boom started downtown before ours, though. Look at all those construction cranes last year in those photos I took! I counted no less than 5-6 the day I was there (four of them are visible in the last photograph), and that's not counting what was under construction or renovation without cranes...

- Garris

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes and no...  The city's population is slightly higher than Providence's, at about 210,000.  But, in the Midwestern fashion, it's more spread out, as there is a big density difference.  According to the 2000 census, Providence is 3 times as dense!  We also have a larger immediate metro area. 

Madison definitely feels larger than Manchester, however (and I thought Milwalkee felt larger than Providence).  When were you last there?  The area fronting Lake Monona is developing rapidly and has a bigger city feel, kind of like what you'd think looking down Washington St towards the CBD in Providence.  Madison has a strict height restriction, though, as no building can be higher than the height of the base of the capitol dome atop the hill.

In other ways, though, they're very similar.  Very similar overall neighborhood feel, very similar politics, very similar transportation strengths and weaknesses, and very similar dependence on local universities.  Their residential boom started downtown before ours, though.  Look at all those construction cranes last year in those photos I took!  I counted no less than 5-6 the day I was there (four of them are visible in the last photograph), and that's not counting what was under construction or renovation without cranes...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last there 4 years ago.

Well, you are right in pure numbers...Madison with a city pop that is more because of more sq/mi, Milwalkee slighly bigger and not as good looking as Providence, Manchester smaller than Madison, the state houses almost identical (PVD bigger).

They are similar in the other areas you mention, but again - Providence has that stronger feel in all the areas...neighborhoods, politics, transportation, and ties to higher ed...and a much more big city look and life-style.

All in all, Madison is a younger, smaller sister.

Well, last year I considered taking a job in Madison, and there are other significant differences between Madison and Providence, not very visible but which make a huge difference to the individual. First of all, their public education system is among the best in the nation; their high school is ranked #4 nationwide. Thus, because of that single difference, if I had gone there, I'd be living in town instead of being stuck in the suburbs like here. It's a huge factor. Then, if you want to live there "there are no bad areas" and crime is fairly low everywhere. Finally, housing is much cheaper. Altogether, it means that one has many more options as to where to live in Madison than in Providence.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more from the CBD while I was there photographing the "before and after photo:

A nice B&W from Weybosset. An "only in RI" shot... Gotta love those shutters...

oldcolonyhousebw7eo.jpg

My new mantra, I think, for promoting tall buildings downtown will be, "Remember to look up!"

lookup3kc.jpg

And some quick looks down at the Weybosset facades... Not my best stuff, but we don't see it often:

weybossetstreetscape0qp.jpg

weybossetstreetscapereverse7yc.jpg

weybossetstreetscape2copy1sw.jpg

Enjoy!

- Garris

I actually wanted a picture of RIH in the rain for that thread. But I never get out there anymore, especially when it's raining, Garris...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, leave that one to me... The APC building's concrete actually absorbs the water, looking like an old, wet, musty sponge...

Make sure you get a shot the RP apartments downtown as a follow-up for the ugly high rise thread...

- Garris

Oh, leave that one to me...  The APC building's concrete actually absorbs the water, looking like an old, wet, musty sponge... 

Make sure you get a shot the RP apartments downtown as a follow-up for the ugly high rise thread...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to work in Davol Square and see it all the time and wonder how it could possibly get any uglier, then it would rain.

Yes, Regency is good for that thread, but I don't want to flood it with Providence buildings, don't want us to get a bad rep.

Thank you for all these nice pictures Garris. I enjoy looking at them.

I was on the bike path towards leaving Providence in the direction of Bristol yesterday

and the views of the 3 chimneys at sunset were beautiful, as well as of the city in general.

If you're looking for new viewpoints on the skyline...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the compliments.

Are you more or less talking about this view from the bike path?

providencefromeastprov7ye.jpg

I've only taken that one, when I didn't yet have my zoom lens and I kept getting a weird lens flare from the skyline. 110 Westminster is going to look great from that Southern perspective. I'll have to head back to the bike path soon to take some more shots, maybe this Saturday with all the beautiful weather.

- Garris

PS: For those who enjoy my photos in easier to view format on my website, I've updated it with the recent shots posted here, as well as some of my older Hudson Valley, NY shots. Link as always is at the end of my posts...

Edited by Garris

I love your photos, Garris.  Mine aren't nearly as good, but I thought I'd share a few.  Hope you all enjoy! :) 

Don't sell yourself short! They're outstanding. You have a good feel for framing and light.

I love the way the sun reflects off the skyline in this one.  What I wouldn't give to have had a telephoto lens :P :

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I think the photo is perfect as is! If you had a telefoto lens, the light would have been too bright, and you probably wouldn't have been able to take the photo. As it is, the effect is perfect. It tells the better story.

Please don't hesitate to post more here in the future, and welcome!

- Garris

I love your photos, Garris.  Mine aren't nearly as good, but I thought I'd share a few.  Hope you all enjoy! :) 

:Images:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Gusterfell, welcome! You photos are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them with us. Please don't hesitate to post more. :)

Hi everyone,

Looking back in my collection, here are some I think I haven't posted yet:

Another classic skyline shot from Prospect Park:

skylineeastduskzoom8ef.jpg

Here's a woman reading on the shoreline of the bay in Jamestown earlier this year:

girljamestown4zf.jpg

Here are two more from my April Foggy Night shots, the first Burnside Park:

burnsideparkfog7dz.jpg

The second, the Hospital Trust Tower topped by fog:

hospitaltrusttower5xh.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the shots!

- Garris

Oh, if you enjoy my work, you might want to take a look at some shots from the Hudson River Valley I posted in the NY section:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15307

Urbanists especially might wish to look at my Cold Spring shots, a turn of the century dense river village of 2000 people where at least 75% of the buildings are on the national historic register. The town is worth a visit if you're in the area. Two samples of the photographs:

hudsonsunset5bt.jpg

coldspringstreetscape19as.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! I'll post some more later.

Out of curiously, what model of camera are you using, Gusterfell?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use a Kodak Easyshare DX4330. Pretty basic point-and-shoot camera, but it takes decent pictures. I like it well enough, though I'd like to upgrade to something a little more versatile in the near future.

Edited by Gusterfell

A quick question for everyone. I've gotten some feedback from a few friends looking at my photos and from some users here on UP that my vertically oriented photos spaced to the width of the screen are too long, needing to be scrolled to look at the whole thing, which annoys some people. So I tried respacing my vertical photo (the one with the girl reading) so it fits in the whole screen vertically, but you loose detail in the smallness.

Do people like this, or would you rather I have the full width with more detail, but you may need to scroll. I have no idea what resolutions people are using.

Thanks for the kind words!  I'll post some more later.

I use a Kodak Easyshare DX4330.  Pretty basic point-and-shoot camera, but it takes decent pictures.  I like it well enough, though I'd like to upgrade to something a little more versitile in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It certainly is doing the job well for you. Where did you take that first skyline picture in your series from? I can't figure out where you were standing...

Wow, Burnside Park looks so...clean... When the hell did you manage to take that picture??

:) It's amazing how night cloaks the grime and lack up upkeep, huh? I took it at about 1 AM in April during one of the most dramatically foggy evenings I've ever seen. The fog line seemed to be about 60-100 feet up in the air, so it was decently clear at ground level, but very foggy above. That's what allows for the cool effect. I was at a dinner for work, walked out of the restaurant at about 10 PM and just looked at the skyline and said, "Wow..." I ran home, got my camera, and went out shooting until about 2 AM. An amazing night...

- Garris

Where did you take that first skyline picture in your series from?  I can't figure out where you were standing..:)

I was on top of the little garage at Weybossett and Empire. Is that the one you mean, Cotuit?

I love the way the skyline from that angle looks like a jumble of blocks building up into a pyramid shape.

It's amazing how night cloaks the grime and lack up upkeep, huh?  I took it at about 1 AM in April during one of the most dramatically foggy evenings I've ever seen.  The fog line seemed to be about 60-100 feet up in the air, so it was decently clear at ground level, but very foggy above.  That's what allows for the cool effect.  I was at a dinner for work, walked out of the restaurant at about 10 PM and just looked at the skyline and said, "Wow..."  I ran home, got my camera, and went out shooting until about 2 AM.  An amazing night...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got some incredible shots that night. Pure photographic gold! :)