Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

I don't take the photos between procedures! My patients wouldn't be too happy with that... Just post them :P . Taking them requires weekends...

Would they mind if you took pictures during the procedures? We could have the Providence Discovery Health Channel thread. :lol: Of course you'd probably have your license taken away, but it'd be fun for a few days.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an excellent picture!!!!!!!!!! Ansel Adams himself would be proud! :)

Thanks! That reminds me that there's a great Ansel Adams exhibit at the MFA I need to see before it closes in December...

After taking zillions of photos of downtown, I think I'm going to (try) to turn my camera lens to some of Providence's neighborhoods, probably starting with the East Side, since I live here... The Autumn/Winter is also the best time to photograph many of the neighborhoods, since they have a prominent tree canopy which, of course, becomes much less of an issue, allowing the architecture to be photographed better...

Here's a preview of that effort. I took this several months back. It's some of the streetscape of lower Hope Street on the East Side in Fox Point... Have a good day!

lowerhope1ry.jpg

- Garris

hi Garris.

Great pictures. You do have an eye for composition, and I think the way you capture color is probably the highlight.

You were asking a while ago about other places in RI to photograph. If you like Pawtuxet village, I would recommend heading down to some of the other seaside villages.

- Watch Hill (Westerly)

- Wakefield (South Kingstown)

- Wickford (North Kingstown)

- East Greenwich (main st. and harbor/hill area have some nice retail and victorian architechture)

- most particularly, Bristol, which has some really nice architechture, the harbor, and Mount Hope Bridge. And you can combine that with a couple of Warren, the smallest town in the smallest county in the smallest state.

and of course you could go slightly out of state to Mystic CT (not the aquarium, but actually go into the town)

Garris -

Excellent photos as always. :thumbsup: You really bring deserved admiration to the city.

If you are looking to do panoramic shots OF RI (not in RI), you should really check out Fort Barton in Tiverton:

http://newportvisions.com/home/barton1.html

Check out that website - you can climb up the tower you see there, and from up top, on a clear day, you can see Kent County, the Mount Hope Bridge, portions of Narragansett Bay, even the tops of the buildings in the Financial district. Spectacular sunset views - the best around, and a photographer's dream!

Great pictures. You do have an eye for composition, and I think the way you capture color is probably the highlight.

You were asking a while ago about other places in RI to photograph. If you like Pawtuxet village, I would recommend heading down to some of the other seaside villages.

- Watch Hill (Westerly)

- Wakefield (South Kingstown)

- Wickford (North Kingstown)

- East Greenwich (main st. and harbor/hill area have some nice retail and victorian architechture)

- most particularly, Bristol, which has some really nice architechture, the harbor, and Mount Hope Bridge. And you can combine that with a couple of Warren, the smallest town in the smallest county in the smallest state.

Thanks for the complements and the tips. Several people have suggested Wickford to me and I've never been there. It's probably next on my list for "small towns." Westerly I may hit in one of my trips to and from seeing my parents in NYS.

This is the perfect time of year for photographing small towns and wooded streetscapes, since the lack of leaves on the trees allows you to better see the buildings, and branches work well for framing...

Excellent photos as always. You really bring deserved admiration to the city.

If you are looking to do panoramic shots OF RI (not in RI), you should really check out Fort Barton in Tiverton:

http://newportvisions.com/home/barton1.html

Check out that website - you can climb up the tower you see there, and from up top, on a clear day, you can see Kent County, the Mount Hope Bridge, portions of Narragansett Bay, even the tops of the buildings in the Financial district. Spectacular sunset views - the best around, and a photographer's dream!

Thanks for the kind words. That observation tower sounds very interesting! I hadn't heard about it. I bet it must be great for foliage shots, the time for which has unfortunately passed. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

- Garris

Garris, THANKS for sharing such great photograpy. I don't know how many ways we can say it so it doesn't become trivialized. We are lucky to have such a talented guy to capture the beauty of Providence so skillfully.

Your pictures are just awesome.

The second of my "canyon" images. This one is from Weybosset which is where, if Providence ever has a tickertape parade, ours should be held (but it'll be short :) )...

canyonweybosset1zr.jpg

- Garris

Garris, THANKS for sharing such great photograpy. I don't know how many ways we can say it so it doesn't become trivialized. We are lucky to have such a talented guy to capture the beauty of Providence so skillfully.

Your pictures are just awesome.

Thank you! Your kind words are enormously appreciated. I started learning photography because I deeply love urban areas and wanted to depict cities to others as seen through my eyes. Images are powerful, and I'll fully admit that I was greatly predisposed to loving Providence before I ever arrived due to the fantastic photography of Richard Benjamin. I e-mailed him as much over 2 years ago.

While I do photography for fun and as an artistic expression, if my shots have caused even one person out there somewhere to consider living in Providence, then all the time out there in the fog late at night, freezing in the winter, etc will have all been worth it.

It's all about showing American cities for the wonderous places they are... So, again, thank you for the kind words...

Continuing posting, I was walking through my own neighborhood of Wayland Square this evening decided to shoot a few photos...

The moon (a theme tonight) rising over Daily Bread in Wayland Squares urban retail area:

moonoverwaylandsquare6xc.jpg

The storefront of the soon to expand Farmstead cheese shop... I get hungry just looking at this:

farmsteadstorefront6zg.jpg

Do you know where Richmond Square is? No? Don't worry... Many people don't. It's the eastern fringe of Wayland Square, down Waterman Street, right before the Henderson Bridge. It's a cluster of old buildings beautifully restored and used by various professional firms. There's also two restaurants there (the outstanding "Gatehouse," very good "Cafe de Vie," and the cute "Simple Pleasures" gift shop). There's a proposal to also put two 9 story condo towers here on the river as well.

Here's the pegasus on the cupola atop the converted mill building framed by this evening's sunset:

richmondsqsunset1re.jpg

Here is the facade of the aforementioned mill building in Richmond Square:

richmondmillfacade8jm.jpg

The moon rises over the "Gatehouse" restaurant in Wayland's Square Richmond Square building complex:

gatehouse2ec.jpg

A black and white of the planks in the Seekonk River along the banks of Richmond Square:

seekonkriver6ag.jpg

That's all from this evening! See everyone at Tazza tomorrow!

- Garris

Garris, I'm putting in my request early for this Winter. How 'bout a nice shot of the Bank of America Skating Center at night from Exchange Terrace! :D

I'll work on it this winter :). It's actually been photographed to death by better photographers than myself. For example, here are two from Richard Benjamin. The second is particularly nice, using the relative height of the flood lamp on the right to symmetrically match the distant height of the skyline on the left:

FleetRink.jpg

Fleet2.jpg

I'll work on finding a unique angle or perspective... It's quite hard to photograph, in my opinion, because of how bright the flood lights are and how bright and white the ice is... You need the perfect lighting surrounding the rink to get exposures to match, or else you wind up with either a photo of a bright rink and dark everything else, or bright surroundings with a bland rink...

Again, I'll work on it... :thumbsup:

- Garris

Hi everyone,

As my first posts since the gathering Monday night, I wanted to thank everyone there, especially Thom and Alex. It was a great gathering and I hope we can use it to build some momentum towards being a positive force for urbanism in Providence.

I forgot to post one of my photos from this past Sunday night. This is the Red bridge on the left and power plant stacks on the right, with the RIH/Hasbro Hospital skylines in the center and the Seekonk river on the bottom.

Enjoy!

bridgestackssunset1of.jpg

- Garris

Love that shot. Just made it my desktop wallpaper. Those power plant stacks have really become a kind of Providence landmark.

Actually the Red Bridge is the Henderson Bridge and was originally a Victorian era bridge that connected Waterman St in Providence to Waterman Ave in East Providence. The current Red/Henderson Bridge replaced the old Red Bridge in the 60s.

The permanently upright draw bridge in the photo is the railroad bridge that was once connected to the East Side railroad tunnel that ran between North Main and near Gano.

Hi everyone,

As my first posts since the gathering Monday night, I wanted to thank everyone there, especially Thom and Alex. It was a great gathering and I hope we can use it to build some momentum towards being a positive force for urbanism in Providence.

I forgot to post one of my photos from this past Sunday night. This is the Red bridge on the left and power plant stacks on the right, with the RIH/Hasbro Hospital skylines in the center and the Seekonk river on the bottom.

Enjoy!

bridgestackssunset1of.jpg

- Garris

Here is the facade of the aforementioned mill building in Richmond Square:

richmondmillfacade8jm.jpg

The moon rises over the "Gatehouse" restaurant in Wayland's Square Richmond Square building complex:

gatehouse2ec.jpg

I remember there used to be a great little Mexican place down on Richmond Square - good burritos. Wonder if it still there... :blink:

Actually the Red Bridge is the Henderson Bridge and was originally a Victorian era bridge that connected Waterman St in Providence to Waterman Ave in East Providence. The current Red/Henderson Bridge replaced the old Red Bridge in the 60s.

The permanently upright draw bridge in the photo is the railroad bridge that was once connected to the East Side railroad tunnel that ran between North Main and near Gano.

Thanks for the clarification. I was actually unsure of this, so your explanation was welcome.

As for the burrito place... Not there as far as I know.

- Garris

No new photos excursions this week, so I'm going to dip into my archive of unposted shots thus far and show two of Weybosset.

This first one is a detail shot of a cornice on Weybosset with great sunset lighting:

corniceweybossetsunset8ym.jpg

This second is a shot at the same time of the streetscape of Weybosset looking from the CBD. I love the dome on the church:

weybossetppacstreetscapesunset.jpg

More later!

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...