Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd love to see the Westminster shop pull out all the stops next year with their holiday window displays.

I agree. With just a few more stores they could market it as a holiday attraction. This is the sate where people drive to visit Christmas Lane. The stores would also have to market "convenient" parking (edit to add:) or shuttles or something that lets folks know that they can get in and out easily. When I say "parking" I don't mean it has to be near the stores, just that cars can be parked somewhere at a reasonable price with an easy way to get you and your purchases to and from downcity.

Edited by markOne

Someone asked for some pics of the Brown Life Sciences Building. I went by on a very weird foggy night and took a few and then went back and took some quick ones in the daylight. Fogg, street lights and 25 sec exposures do some weird things.

Please move these to a different thread if one exists for that building project. I couldn't find it if it exists.

foggyAlongSouthSide.png

foggyCarPass.png

foggyFromThayer.png

fromThayerAndMeeting.png

Tried to capture some sense of scale but you can't even see most of the construction. This will be a big building.

lookingDownMeetingSt.png

"Old" meets new reflecting old.

oldAndNewSides.png

East end of the new construction where it joins the old

sideReflections.png

I believe "The Walk" will be going throught here.

whereTheWalkGoes.png

Other non-life sciences shots. Interestingly Firefox makes these images much brighter than Safari (I'm a Mac user). Viewing in Safari is much more like what I see in Photoshop.

Turning from the Life Sciences Building and looking the other way along Meeting Street.

meetingSt.png

First Church of Christ Scientist

firstChurchCS.png

firstChurchDome.png

Narraganset Electric

NEAtNight.png

View from the hurricaine barrier

fromHuricaneBarrierNight.png

Another rainy night from the Providence train station.

foggyStateHouseNight.png

Enjoyed the shots. The Life Sciences bldg looks rather like a Christo project all wrapped up in tarps. I'm actually pretty excited by this bldg despite the virulent opposition to it by neighborhood critics.

The Manchester Street power plant is one of my favorite Providence landmarks, particularly at night when you can see the constant warm glow through those colossal windows.

Edited by Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wondered about that...It looks very poor. Even minimal lighting would contribute to the skyline. City should use their influence.

Me too... I just e-mailed their PR division to ask this question. It'll be interesting to see how (if) they reply.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Why does the Textron bldg. not have any kind of lighting scheme? Are they not proud of themselves, or what?

call me ignorant, but which one is the textron building?

one thing i have an issue with is the building in the middle of the "big 3" (maybe this is the textron one? but i have a feeling the textron one is on the right). there's always a bunch of lights out that make it look really cheap and crappy... this needs to be fixed.

call me ignorant, but which one is the textron building?

one thing i have an issue with is the building in the middle of the "big 3" (maybe this is the textron one? but i have a feeling the textron one is on the right). there's always a bunch of lights out that make it look really cheap and crappy... this needs to be fixed.

Ignorant!!! :rofl:

Kidding, of course. The Textron building is the one on the right. Or, if this helps:

And you can find more pictures of it here. As for "the building in the middle of the 'big 3,'" I assume you mean 50 Kennedy Plaza. That would be this building:

Is that the one you mean?

As for Textron, I was thinking about it today, and y'know, I decided I'd even be happy even if they would just put their name in lit block letters at the top corners of the building. It doesn't take much: just let the world know that you're there ...

Edited by Cotuit

Textron should update their logo's font.

Whatever they choose, (something sleek) it should be on the front of the building. The other 3 sides could have lighting that is similar to the westin/convention center's parking garage (those red neon lights that face providence place mall). Some type of thin, brightly lit strip of continuos lighting structure.. not some plain straight line of lights.. but make it a design. Why not make it a contest for a RISD student or something? with a prize involved?

Textron isn't some dinky building. It should definately be lit.. I didn't even think to question why it wasn't until it was brought up on here.

You can't hotlink images from Emporis. They won't show.

Well that's embarrassing. <_<

They showed up in the post preview, though!!

Oh well. Anyway, as I was saying, you can find pictures of the Textron Bldg here and 50 Kennedy Plaza here. That help?

Textron should update their logo's font.

This isn't too bad: txt_logo_topleft.jpg

It would be better than nothing. And it's the right color. :D

fromHuricaneBarrierNight.png

It's probably unnecessary now that we'll have the IWay bridge, but this picture makes me think that we should have lit the Point St. Bridge a long time ago. Would've been a nice touch.

Speaking of the IWay bridge, I can't wait to see that go up. I can see it every day, where it's being built off Quonset Point. I keep meaning to go find somewhere along the coast where I can break out my binoculars and get a really good look at that thing ...

And look how good the skyline looks in this picture, with the Textron bldg. lit just enough to make its presence felt:

FromProspectParknight.jpg

Edited by Lone Ranger

I'm going to love the new Westin tower. As it is now, the Westin is just a tall building, although a nice one IMO. But with the addition, I think the Westin is going to gain a lot of character.

I love the orientation of the new building. That'll be a nice touch. It's going to look as if it's forever turning its gaze towards Downcity ...

• 2 weeks later...