Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

I haven't taken any new shots since November (thanks for shots like Cotuit's outstanding one above... it's just tooo cold for hours of shooting now, and I've been waaay too busy the last 3 months).

However, I couldn't pass this one up today:

Valentines Day Providence Style...

capitolvalentines0rs.jpg

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a test. Does anyone know why the buildings downcity (including the State House) are lit red this month? And no, it's not for Valentine's Day.

Huh, I didn't know it wasn't for Valentines Day... Too bad, as it would be pretty cool if it was... Is it the whole Red Dress charity thing?

- Garris

Huh, I didn't know it wasn't for Valentines Day... Too bad, as it would be pretty cool if it was... Is it the whole Red Dress charity thing?

One imagines that they chose Feb. as their month to tie it all into Valentine's. I was talking to people who found out it was National Wear Red Day, the day after. :rolleyes:

<contented sigh> and people wonder why I love my job so much...

... and people wonder why we all love living here so much.

Those two Benefit photos were random, just snapped while waiting for good light to photo the Capitol. I find Benefit extremely hard to photograph well. Unlike our skyline, which is almost impossible to take a bad photo of, I've found the character-filled Benefit streetscape just dies on film. I've found the same effect happens when photographing Westminster as well (but not Washington... Odd...). I've taken dozens of photos of Benefit, and these two, randomly taken, are probably the only ones I've been quasi-happy with so far (too bad about the street sign in the second photo, though)...

Here at work, I've noticed the capitol photo, which looks perfect on my Fujitsu laptop brite-screen, looks somewhat dark on the monitors here. I'll pick a brighter exposure and post it later today...

- Garris

Oh, an aside for photographers here: One photo savy person at work asked me, "Beautiful photos, but where does the odd highlighting effect of the Benefit buildings come from?"

Answer: The (unintentional) exposure effect of headlights of cars coming and going (the cars are off the frame of the photos). I'll have to compare it to shots when there were no cars nearby and see which effect I like better. I thought it give it a slightly unreal look which I liked...

• 2 weeks later...

That second photo is great. I want to get some shots from the same perspective, and since it's a Brown building and I have a Brown ID, I might have a shot at doing so...

There are many great local area photographers on Flickr. I've posted in the Providence group announcing the existance of the UP group as well, but apparently no one has bitten and "crossed over" here yet.

- Garris

• 2 weeks later...

Reposted here from another forum:

Building Providence: Three cranes (Westin II, Waterplace, Masonic temple) against the sunset...

craneswide2wj.jpg

Roger looks out over the city...

williamsclockcube0bd.jpg

Capitol Center, Providence!

capitolcenter2gu.jpg

Journal Building at night...

journalbldgsmall1kk.jpg

- Garris

Oh my! Garris, your a genius!! What talent! You take my breath away. As far as I'm concerned, you either have it, or you don't. You have great perception! I've seen many photos taken by many people. But believe me, it's possible to screw up a perfect picture. You are a professional photographer (amatuer?). I can see that you take into consideration light conditions and speed. Not a concern to the usual novice. :( Well done.

I could have sworn that Roger's hand was broken the last time I was up there. All his fingers were gone. Did they fix it, or was I imagining things?

They must have fixed it... Last time I was there I noticed the fingers were broken as well. I think one or two UP members e-mailed the Parks Dept about it...

As an aside, I was up in Portsmouth, NH this Saturday and managed to shoot a few photos. For those interested in my photography, here's the link: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=364041. I'll be adding more to these three over the course of the week.

- Garris