Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Why does Providence look so good in black & white?

We talked about this in an earlier post last year... In my opinion, for a major city, Providence doesn't have a lot of color. This is one of the reasons it tends to photograph so poorly during daylight hours... Bright sunlight doesn't flatter tan, light brick, and stone colors well. Aside from the PPAC, where are the splashes of color in the city? Cotuit's North Main shot probably captured the only other areas of color downtown...

Look at this shot of Portsmouth, NH for a contrast:

streetscapeday11ug.jpg

Hey Garris....if you ever get the chance, go to the top of NewarkSt. where it crosses Academy Ave. That location, as well as the East Bay Bike Path, make the absolute best shots. Newark Street is next to Crugnale's Bakery on the Valley Street side of Eagle Square. That shot captures the incredible density of Federal Hill and makes the skyline look even bigger...

Thanks for the tip... I've heard about that area more than once but haven't gotten over there to photograph yet... Maybe soon...

As for the East Bay Bike Path, the shot above is from there. I'm trying to think back to my runs... Is there a more impressive site for a vista than that one?

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the East Bay Bike Path, the shot above is from there. I'm trying to think back to my runs... Is there a more impressive site for a vista than that one?

- Garris

where on the bike path did you take that? i was thinking relatively close to the first parking lot you hit after getting off 195. that or even from along the first causeway would be a neat shot (if i am remembering correctly) with the city more in the distance...

where on the bike path did you take that? i was thinking relatively close to the first parking lot you hit after getting off 195. that or even from along the first causeway would be a neat shot (if i am remembering correctly) with the city more in the distance...

That shot was with a zoom lens from that first parking lot.

- Garris

Hmm, I dont know, but my aunt used to live on Whatcheer Ave in Silver Lake, is it somewhere over there?

P.S., Garris, one time you have to get a shot of the skyline from 146south right at the Lincoln/North Providence line. Just drive into Lincoln, turn around and drive south on 146 and all of a sudden you'll see an amazing view of the whole skyline (this view even makes things like Dominica Manor and the hospitals look prominent). I wanted to take a pic last time I drove that way but I was afraid to pull over on the side of the highway to take it.

i'm really starting to like the looks of the gtech building...

Yea I suppose the Capital Commision's design review team decided that in order to avoid having the G-Tech bldg. detract from the surrounding architecture, it should reflect it...

although I have to say that I think the building is a welcome addition to a city with very few examples of "modern" architecture and it adds some nice contrast to the diverse and rapidly growing urban district.

It's pretty amazing that I didn't have enough time in one afternoon to make it around to every construction site in the downtown area - wouldn't have imagined that growing up here in the 80s and early 90s....

Check out this Washington Bridge photo in the UP Flickr group.

There's a hardcore group of the Flickr folks that are amazingly good with nighttime, long exposure (shutters open for 2-3 minutes) shots. They're also using special types of real film, not digital, to get those amazing colors and use real darkrooms I believe for processing.

- Garris

How do they expose the film for that long without the image coming out blurry?

Excellent question. I'll ask them. My guess is a really expensive tripod. With my entry level tripod, if I expose for as long as 30 seconds, if there is a touch or wind or cars/trucks rumbling by, that's enough to blur the image slightly. So I imagine that for 2+ minute exposures, you need an awesome tripod to keep things rock steady.

- Garris

I'm glad to see that Yahoo is going to ruin another good internet service by making you sign up in triplicate in order to do anything interesting.

jen, can you identify the tree in the Cosmo building photo?

Shouldn't need a login to view it at this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/threshold/119...ol-41534544@N00

But yeah, to view bigger sizes they do make you login.

Ok, one image, two questions...

First, the companion stone relief from the "Superman" building, this one for RI:

reliefrism6iw.jpg

Second:

Hey Garris....if you ever get the chance, go to the top of NewarkSt. where it crosses Academy Ave. That location, as well as the East Bay Bike Path, make the absolute best shots. Newark Street is next to Crugnale's Bakery on the Valley Street side of Eagle Square. That shot captures the incredible density of Federal Hill and makes the skyline look even bigger...

Ok, thanks for the tip! I went here, and you're right. It's a striking skyline view, the only one that really incorporates the Westin in with the density of other towers well. However, am I in the right place? I had one of the Eagle Square brick buildings framing the lower part of the image and I don't see how to capture the "density of Federal Hill" at all from there. Exactly where are you standing?

Third:

Is anyone aware of a program that does resizes of images in batches, and in a quality fashion? Like 10 at a time? Doing it one by one in Photoshop is a bit of a chore. Any ideas?

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Ok, one image, two questions...

First, the companion stone relief from the "Superman" building, this one for RI:

reliefrism6iw.jpg

Second:

Ok, I went here, and you're right. It's a striking skyline view, the only one that really incorporates the Westin in with the density of other towers well. However, am I in the right place? I had one of the Eagle Square brick buildings framing the lower part of the image and I don't see how to capture the "density of Federal Hill" at all from there. Exactly where are you standing?

Third:

Is anyone aware of a program that does resizes of images in batches, and in a quality fashion? Like 10 at a time? Doing it one by one in Photoshop is a bit of a chore. Any ideas?

- Garris

You're on the right street. You need to go all the way to the top on a clear day. The intersection is Newark and Sears Avenue.

Third:

- Garris

there's a way to do it with imagemagick in linux... it's not a graphical program, it's a command line tool, but you can script it. i have very minimal experience with it, so i wouldn't be able to help you, but i am pretty sure you can do that with it.

i don't know if there's a windows port of it or a comparable program.

there might be a way to do it with the gimp, but i'm not sure on that... if you're not familiar with the gimp, it an open source image manipulation program (ok, Gnu Image Manipulation Program). it's comparable to photoshop, just not quite as powerful,but completely free... www.gimp.org

there's a way to do it with imagemagick in linux... it's not a graphical program, it's a command line tool, but you can script it. i have very minimal experience with it, so i wouldn't be able to help you, but i am pretty sure you can do that with it.

i don't know if there's a windows port of it or a comparable program.

there's not a windows port of it exactly, but there is a cygwin port (cygwin is a unix shell for windows that i am pretty sure is free and allows you to run unix programs). there's also a port for OSX.