Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're using Windows, there's actually a Powertoy that you can install. It puts a link in the right-click context menu that lets you select any number of images, right click and resize to any size you would like. It's fast and easy, can't speak for quality though. I used it many times to resize jpegs to web size.

PowerToys Page

Direct link to EXE

Edited by JJK5

you can use Picasa from google. (free)

When you export from Picasa, it prompts you for image size.

I'm a big fan. Its served me well for cataloging my photos. It lets you apply labels like gmail does.

www.picasa.com

Any photos? I have need of a McCoy pic.

No problem. I didn't do any great photography at the game, just one inning of experimentation not moving around anywhere.

It's a great stadium, actually. Not a bad seat in the house, and with the intimacy so many modern ballparks try to recreate.

mccoyplayer1sm2uw.jpg

mccoy1sm2xt.jpg

mccoy2sm0eg.jpg

- Garris

PS: If you have need of a McCoy pic for UP, that's fine. If for an outside non UP application, drop me a line for some credit reqs...

i'm gonna try to roam around cranston next time its warm and im not in class when sunset nears. When is the best time to shoot?

It's really quite variable, and depends upon what you want to shoot and where. The hour before and after sunset is a great time (as it gets later, you'll either need to have a tripod, increase your ISO, or decrease your f-stops in order to not get a blurry image).

- Garris

I pulled over to take this photo because I liked the rare Northern color in the sky at sunset, and the refection of Citizen's on the water.

But this shot still bothers me for some reason... I haven't captured this area yet in a way that makes me think "Got it!" It's a tough one to compose, with Citzens and RISD quite far from each other and with that blank space in between...

Anyway, here it is...

confluencerisdsm9jx.jpg

- Garris

Is anyone aware of a program that does resizes of images in batches, and in a quality fashion? Like 10 at a time? Doing it one by one in Photoshop is a bit of a chore. Any ideas?

You can automate photoshop to do this for you. I won't try to remember the steps now. I will go home tonight and do it and write down the steps. Wait a minute, I almost forgot about the internet :) See if this link (a little old, but probably ok) works for you. I will try to follow its steps when I get home and see if they are on target.

Re blurry photos and long exposures: In addition to a good tripod (or simply setting the camera on a steady platform) you should also use a bulb or timer to open the shutter. The movement created by pressing the shutter sometimes blurs your picture if your platform is not near perfect.

This has been such a fabulous thread to have for someone new moving to Providence! It has been fun stopping by Providence on apartment hunting missions and seeing buildings that are now familiar to me after looking at these photos. I saw the Fleur de Lis (I think that's the name) house today, and smiled. Driving through the downcity area, I came around a bend that almost took my breath away -- my first thought was that I wished I had a camera and could then contribute to the Providence photo thread!

Soon enough. :)

This has been such a fabulous thread to have for someone new moving to Providence! It has been fun stopping by Providence on apartment hunting missions and seeing buildings that are now familiar to me after looking at these photos. I saw the Fleur de Lis (I think that's the name) house today, and smiled. Driving through the downcity area, I came around a bend that almost took my breath away -- my first thought was that I wished I had a camera and could then contribute to the Providence photo thread!

Soon enough. :)

do you know where you were when you came around that bend?

do you know where you were when you came around that bend?

I don't :( It was my first time driving through downcity during daylight, and I was just trying actually to get over to the east side (I was a little lost :) ). I'll have to investigate again and report back.

I don't :( It was my first time driving through downcity during daylight, and I was just trying actually to get over to the east side (I was a little lost :) ). I'll have to investigate again and report back.

I wonder if you were coming down Angell St towards downtown perhaps? That's an amazing vista, and it also would have brought you by the Fleur de Lis (Art Club) House...

- Garris

It may have been that "elusive to well-lit photography" street that pot au feu is on. Or some little street like that in downcity -- it was narrow and very reminiscent of old boston streets -- I wasn't expecting it. But moments like those are wonderful when you pay attention to the feeling you've just witnessed/been part of something beautiful.

I did definitely recognize the fleur de lis house from your picture, garris!

Check out ctman987's Providence Photo Thread in the main photo section.

Those are some great pictures. It was fun seeing all of the pictures inside the mall because I've never been in, but I'm sure I will be in the future! I too liked the picture taken from the garage with the masonic temple and the state capital building.

Again, from perusing these photos, I noticed the masonic temple (under construction) as I was coming into Providence on this last visit -- I believe it was on 95 south just before I was going to get off at exit 22.

By the way, I don't relish trying to explain to my poor directionally-challenged mother how to get off 95 and get over to the east side: "Ok, Mom. Get off at exit 22. Exit 22 actually has three options, 22A, 22B and 23C..." this is where I'll lose her! She'll end up in Ithaca or something. She never once managed to drive to New Haven while I was in college without getting lost at least once, and certainly her trips from suburban Boston to Philadelphia have not been good -- the last time she drove down, it took her 9.5 hours (without traffic). Needless to say, she hasn't visited me too much!

By the way, I don't relish trying to explain to my poor directionally-challenged mother how to get off 95 and get over to the east side: "Ok, Mom. Get off at exit 22. Exit 22 actually has three options, 22A, 22B and 23C..." this is where I'll lose her! She'll end up in Ithaca or something. She never once managed to drive to New Haven while I was in college without getting lost at least once, and certainly her trips from suburban Boston to Philadelphia have not been good -- the last time she drove down, it took her 9.5 hours (without traffic). Needless to say, she hasn't visited me too much!

I agree. Trying to navigate a newbie through downtown can be tricky. God help her if she stops and asks a local for directions (go past the strand, turn by where the mcdonalds used to be - head towards the east side of prov, but dont go over to east prov).

Depending where you'll be on the east side, it might be easier to direct her to 195 and get off at Gano St (exit 3), or get off 95 in Pawtucket and come down East Ave towards Blackstone Blvd. Just a thought.