Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Man, it's kind of crazy all the different landscapes across New England. I'm struck by how flat everything looks in that picture. My father's got a chopper so I've been up in the air a lot over New Hampshire, but you don't get those kind of perspectives.

For comparison here's a shot I took of the "downtown" where I grew up (Lebanon, NH).

untitled333fs.jpg

I could probably post some more in the Northern N.E. section..

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought I'd share this distant skyline view I took a few weeks ago, as a test of my new telephoto lens. This is from the Portsmouth waterfront at Cory's Ln. If you look very closely, you can just make out the cranes of the Waterplace condos and Westin II.

provpano3oq.jpg

Edited by Gusterfell

i have some pictures that i took after visiting the biltmore last friday.

waterplace park ampitheatre (will look a lot different with waterplace going up on the right)

waterplace%20ampitheatre.jpg

looking down the river towards citizens plaza, again, it'll look nice and closed in when they finish waterplace.

citizens%20plaza.jpg

and this is just a random pic i had that a friend of mine took of the power plant one waterfire night in summer 2004.

powerplant.jpg

As others before, I am no Garris, however, I did snap this shot today showing all 4 current tower cranes in use:

w00sur.jpg

Here is a wider skyline shot. Unfortunately I had to take these through a chain link fence so the zooming and composition aren't the greatest.

w00tps.jpg

These were taken from the Admiral St. bridge. I also took some photos of the Charles St. hotel location and Wal-Mart which I'll put in those threads.

Did these leaves just come up? Maybe I need to pay attention more but here in CT I'm not seing any foliage. Spring is my favorite time of the year ... the same 50-60 degree highs you complain about in the summer and fall being too cold seem so warm right now.

Did these leaves just come up? Maybe I need to pay attention more but here in CT I'm not seing any foliage. Spring is my favorite time of the year ... the same 50-60 degree highs you complain about in the summer and fall being too cold seem so warm right now.

the leaves are starting to come... some trees bud earlier than others.

Cranston photos... had no clue what to shoot

Cranston city hall below

img00131lw.jpg

My good ol' Cransotn High School East

img00140rv.jpg

Rolfe Street (near the highschool above)

img00129th.jpg

The only high rise we have.. listed on emporis I think! KNIGHTSVILLE MANOR?

img00190hd.jpg

some cool columns that have a canopy to cover some benches just outside of knightsville manor above

img00187ny.jpg

Sprague Mansion (left)

img00208rl.jpg

Sprague Mansion (middle)

img00212zx.jpg

Sprague Mansion (right)

img00229dd.jpg

More of the knightsville area

img00177tl.jpg

The paris hilton christmas house that made it on the news all the way to Jay leno!

5485767320x2402nq.jpg

Cranston photos... had no clue what to shoot

Rolfe Street (near the highschool above)

First, thanks for the photos!

Rolfe Square is really interesting. I found it almost by accident one day trying to find a chinese restaurant down the street. It has high urban potential, especially with some of the great buildings (town hall, high school, etc) around there, but feels a little... run down, right now...

Interesting your photo was of the Touro Fraternal organization.

Touro.gif

I haven't seen many Jewish "Men's Clubs" outside of synagogue structures, but this is one of them, and one of the largest in New England with over 600 members I believe. I honestly don't know much about it, and didn't know until I saw your photo that it's in Rolfe Square...

The only high rise we have.. listed on emporis I think! KNIGHTSVILLE MANOR?

For some reason, the Death Star march popped into my head when I looked at that building...

I think my favorite Cranston building is that tower at the intersection of Route 2 and Pontiac ave, I think it is?

- Garris

PS: The best time to try a photo you want at sunset is to be there about 1/2 hour before and after the formal sunset time (check any weather site to find the formal sunrise/sunset times). How the sunset will turn out will depend upon the cloud cover and other factors. Make sure, if you want the sky detail, to aim your viewfinder at the sky for light metering, not buildings.

Edited by Garris

part of the Cranston Stadium. Behind me is the baseball field. To my left are more bleachers.. or is it bleechers? and beyond the bleechers to my left are tennis courts and a playgroud. Garris hunny.. this is the area I want to capture during sunset.. it always looks amazing but I cant find the right angle to capture the entire stadium.. the 2nd pic is just a continuation of the main bleechers

img00080el.jpg

img00097ba.jpg

below is the google overview of the stadium.. you can see the red X is where i was sitting... and the red/yellow arrow (mostly yellow) is the direction i was facing.

img00303of.jpg

below are a few buildings I made in the google sketch program. I would love to see them in various areas of providence... I LOVE them.

img00310hc.jpg

enjoy and gimme feedback if you know any landmarks or area that you'd like me to shoot.. when all of the trees are in bloooom... i'll go to roger williams park

Garris.. I had more photos of Rolfe st. but I accidentally made them too large to upload on image shack. A mistake Cranston made was when they attempted to renovate the Stadium theater. It was supposed to be a small sympony hall/cafe with a liquor license. Then the whole idea of a place with a liquor license across the street from the High School stirred a debate. Now it is sitting vacant and in the middle of a renovation! That area is key and if a few mixed upscale/cheap prices lunch or dinner places popped up.. they area would be much better. I remember when the Stadium Theater was still in business. It was a fun place to be :( It'll come back though

Edited by CtownMikey