Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Ok, here are two photos for Friday and Saturday:

Do you wish it were summer? I do, and I'm sure the woman in this photo looking at Providence from Prospect Park does as well.

prospectwomanlookingat8rf.jpg

Here is another summer shot, this one not from Providence, but from Rhode Island's Block Island resort community, only a quick drive and subsequent ferry ride away from the Renaissance City.

blockislandpanorama4ms.jpg

Enjoy the weekend!

- Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking through all the old photo galleries (great shots everyone!) and I didn't see any pictures of the new Brown Life Science building under construction. When I visted Providence back in October, I was stunned to see the huge steel frame already up.

Does anybody have any recent photos? I'd love to see how it's coming along. (Since I lived one block away for three years, and walked by it every single day, I have somewhat of an attachment/interest in the site.)

It'll be interesting to see what GTECH looks like from Prospect Park when it is done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it will. It's going to change the view from Prospect Park substantially since Memorial Drive is the clearest aspect to see from there.

Over the years I have developed various color mixes in post.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Care to share how to do such things? That's the big reason I started this thread, to give myself (and by extension everyone else) a chance to teach and learn how to improve photographs.

When I visted Providence back in October, I was stunned to see the huge steel frame already up...  I'd love to see how it's coming along.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure it's come along much since October. I may very well be wrong on this (and if I am, Cotuit will correct me :-) ) but didn't the College Hill Neighborhood association file a lawsuit that halted construction sometime in October or November?

On a completely different note, filling a request from earlier, here is a shot of the Capitol dome.

capitoldomenight3uo.jpg

Have a good Monday everyone!

- Garris

I'm not sure it's come along much since October.  I may very well be wrong on this (and if I am, Cotuit will correct me :-)  ) but didn't the College Hill Neighborhood association file a lawsuit that halted construction sometime in October or November?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They may have filed, but work hasn't stopped. :P

One more of the Capitol, then I'll move on to something else tomorrow. I tried to perspective correct the wide-angle approach, but it changed the nature of the building too much, so I left this one as is. It's slightly over-exposed on the dome, but the blue sunset sky looked so nice this way :-).

capitolnight14nf.jpg

Have a good Wednesday everyone!

- Garris

Hi everyone,

Well, being stuck at work in the hospital for days and days on end and being on-call during a holiday weekend has me off my posting schedule somewhat, but I thought I'd make up for Thursday, Friday, and the holiday weekend with some photos taken at work today.

Perhaps the most beautiful building in the otherwise uninspiring RIH complex is one invisible to most people, as it's located behind the bland Main Building and the positively depressing, concrete Ambulatory Care Center. It's the elegant and regretably decaying Southeast Clinic Building. It'll probably be knocked down someday, as it's already essentially condemned. Every day I enjoy its timeless spires framed against the sunset outside our windows, so today I decided to break out the camera and share the view with you all. Enjoy!

BTW: I believe the castle-like building outlined in the distance is the Cranston Armory (we're looking West)

rihswpavilionandarmor4zx.jpg

Here's another view from earlier in the evening:

rihswpavilionandarm23bh.jpg

This photo is regrettable ruined by the lens flare fragment in the center (can anyone tell me how to PS erase this?):

rihswpavflare1wi.jpg

One more view:

rihswpav20ay.jpg

Here's the classic Southern view of the classic Providence skyline, also from RIH:

skylinesouthsunset1zo.jpg

Here is a link to a huge panorama of Providence I put together tonight from the hospital (too wide to display here):

http://img208.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img208&ima...norama357jn.jpg

Enjoy! Until tomorrow.

- Garris

Thanks! :D I enjoy sharing these. It also encourages me to photograph more. I'm eager to get suggestions as to how to improve my photos, so any suggestions are welcome.

Here's one of Downcity Providence in the dead of night from Waterplace Park. This is one classic view of the city that won't be altered by the G-Tech building.

skylinenight14uf.jpg

Also, I'm thinking of going to Newport next weekend for the first time to take some photos. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go and what to photograph?

- Garris

Hi everyone!

Busy weekend here. Needed to keep some family promises, some relationship angst, etc etc... In the end, no Newport trip and some days of photo posting missed... Here are some photos to make up for it :-).

With all the recent talk of Downcity development, I thought I'd post some shots of the involved neighborhood from my archive. Enjoy!

downcityalleyview21iw.jpg

downcityturksheadnigh9qu.jpg

downcitywestminstercany2lt.jpg

And, for Monday, inspired by Cotuit's post about the Newport Ferry that docks at Davol Square (the power plant is in the background)...

riptanewportferry3dk.jpg

Enjoy the new week everyone!

- Garris

PS: Anyone have any advice for taking pictures of urban streetscapes? I've found Downcity and Federal Hill, for example, very hard to photograph. Wide-angle shots of streetscapes give too much dead space, for example, while compressing streetscapes looking down sidewalks with a zoom is often effective at capturing the urban feel, but all such shots tend to look very much alike and don't give much of a sense of unique space. Lately, I've tried just focusing on one or two unique details in a streetscape, but that is leaving me feeling I'm leaving out a lot. Any tips?

Edited by Garris

Since we've been discussing neighborhoods in some of the other forums, I thought I'd post a typical streetscape of merchantile buildings from the Fox Point neighborhood. You won't see this kind of architectural mix anywhere else in Providence!

foxpoint14zg.jpg

- Garris

Ive visited Pro. before, and this is another city I would consider living in. it's small but has a big city feeling. everything is downtown you don't really have to leave the city center! and Brown univ is close as well.

from a freind in DC

Garris, do you have any pictures of the Wayland Square neighborhood?

Beautiful photography. :thumbsup:

Are you all digital? I finally turned in my old pentax and bought a digital camera. It's a wonderful feeling of freedom - not being scared to take a chance on a shot for fear of running out of film - but I could feel myself getting sloppy, losing that thoughtful calculation of the elements in a frame.

-Emily

Your wish is my command :-).

I can't say I'm extremely proud of my Wayland Square photos. Like many Providence commercial areas, I find it very hard to photograph. How you do shoot scenes of low lying commercial buildings, no matter how nice, without them looking like they're just sitting there? Yup, that's the Starbucks... I end up with a lot of "character" photos like the first two below, which really could be anywhere and don't show that much... I'd probably not post these unless there were a request, but here 'ya go :-)

waylandsquare14xr.jpg

waylandsquare20qc.jpg

waylandsquarebakery6ol.jpg

The next three shots, again ones I don't like very much, are of typical apartment scenes around the Square and some detailing I like. Very much like scenes you'd see in Highland Park, if I'm remembering Chicago correctly...

waylandsquareapts10za.jpg

waylandsquareapts30qf.jpg

waylandsquareapts20pc.jpg

Tomorrow, some photos of Federal Hill I took tonight while waiting to meet people for dinner (and the kinda' nasty Federal Hill experience I had... Sorry, Cotuit).

- Garris