Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Churches on Westminster and Weybosset...

churches506sm9bd.jpg

The skyline and the edge of the Biltmore sign...

biltskyline506rev2ac.jpg

Not sure how much I like this photo itself, but it is interesting to see all of the contrasting styles of Capitol Center's facades now that G-Tech is moving along...

capitolfacadessm2aa.jpg

Perhaps one or two more from this series to come, and then that's about it!

- Garris

Actually, I was surprised at how little Gtech impacted the Waterfire experience. At best, I had hoped for dramatic reflections of the fires, and at worst, I feared that the building might loom over the basin and dominate the space. I found that neither of these was the case, and Gtech seemed to serve as a backdrop for the event in much the way the mall always has.

That said, I didn't make it up to the Memorial Boulevard sidewalk. In retrospect, that higher vantage point might provide more dramatic reflections of the basin.

no reflection from Gtech?

looks like from the pic that lights were on inside gtech (probably because they can't lock the doors). so no reflection. i imagine once the building is finished or close to it (so they can lock it from people), it'll reflect.

Actually, I was surprised at how little Gtech impacted the Waterfire experience. At best, I had hoped for dramatic reflections of the fires, and at worst, I feared that the building might loom over the basin and dominate the space. I found that neither of these was the case, and Gtech seemed to serve as a backdrop for the event in much the way the mall always has.

This is always what I thought would probably happen. Hopefully, once the G-Tech shops and restaurants are open (that late?), a sense of vibrancy will be added to that corner of waterfire which was always quite dull in the days of the empty lot...

BTW, I'm not sure why people ever expected the bonfires to reflect in the windows of G-Tech. Wouldn't reflections we could see from the street level depend upon windows angled downward? This, of course, isn't the case... Perhaps when seen from, oh, the 15th floor of the Waterplace condo towers will there be a reflection...

- Garris

BTW, I'm not sure why people ever expected the bonfires to reflect in the windows of G-Tech. Wouldn't reflections we could see from the street level depend upon windows angled downward? This, of course, isn't the case... Perhaps when seen from, oh, the 15th floor of the Waterplace condo towers will there be a reflection...

- Garris

So what you're saying is that, on that site, we needed to build a building with walls that angled outwards as they went upwards, so they would reflect down?

Someone should tell GTech they're gonna hafta rebuild. Boy I bet they're not gonna be happy about this. :thumbsup:

So what you're saying is that, on that site, we needed to build a building with walls that angled outwards as they went upwards, so they would reflect down?

Someone should tell GTech they're gonna hafta rebuild. Boy I bet they're not gonna be happy about this. :thumbsup:

it sure would be sweet... i'm sure that we'd see some reflection though... but if you look at that pic, you'll notice the lights were on inside the building, making it nearly impossible to see any reflection. the lights would have to be off to see any sort of reflection.