Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

My wife and I were eating outside at Rira this weekend and discussing how the Gtech reflections would work. We decided that it would be almost impossible to see Waterfire reflected in the windows (Waterplace condos being the possible exception). I think the best potential is actually on the north side, getting a reflection of the capitol and then on the east possible reflections of the Waterplace condos back into the basin.

It might also get some nice early morning sunrise reflections of college hill, or even better, sunset-lit reflections of the top of the hill catching last light.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife and I were eating outside at Rira this weekend and discussing how the Gtech reflections would work. We decided that it would be almost impossible to see Waterfire reflected in the windows (Waterplace condos being the possible exception). I think the best potential is actually on the north side, getting a reflection of the capitol and then on the east possible reflections of the Waterplace condos back into the basin.

It might also get some nice early morning sunrise reflections of college hill, or even better, sunset-lit reflections of the top of the hill catching last light.

Cotuit posted a good photo of Kayakers in Waterplace with the GTech bldg. in the background. It looks to be very reflective in the daytime - you can see reflections of other buildings clearly in the photo.

And I like the finished look of the parking garage too.

Damn rain! :angry: Does RISD own that lot on South Water St.?

It's a weird, typically Rhode Island, type of relationship. RISD owns the lot (and most of the buildings around it on South Main), Metropark operates the lot, and RISD pays Metropark to use some of the spaces. :unsure:

RISD has a rather sizable real estate empire on South Main Street that people aren't really aware of, because they aren't 'RISD' buildings, they own the Cable Car for example.

It's a weird, typically Rhode Island, type of relationship. RISD owns the lot (and most of the buildings around it on South Main), Metropark operates the lot, and RISD pays Metropark to use some of the spaces. :unsure:

RISD has a rather sizable real estate empire on South Main Street that people aren't really aware of, because they aren't 'RISD' buildings, they own the Cable Car for example.

they pay to use parking spaces they own?

they pay to use parking spaces they own?

Yes, because they have leased them to another company and/or contracted another company to manage them. For instance, I have a friend who owns a few multi-families in Providence. He treats them as pure investment and doesn't want to be bothered with the details, so he hired a management comany to run them. He lives in an apartment in a house that he owns, but pays his rent like a normal tenant to the management company. So he is paying rent to live in a house that he owns.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool! I've never seen the skyline from within J&W. 110 Westminster will be absolutely dominant from this perspective!

This photo also reinforces my affection for the Bank of America ("Superman") building. There's just something so triumphant and defiant in that building!

- Garris

I had great pics taken from on top of the "superman" building, but lost them when my hard drive was wiped... If I pay a visit to Providence I'll be sure to see if I can see my old security buddies in 1 Financial to see if I can snag some great pics from the roof there...

BTW, I remember when I worked security there and some guy off the street asked to go to the top floor for some pictures, and I broke the rules and brought him up to the 28th floor to take pictures of the East Side. This was over a year ago. Perhaps this was someone here?

What is the city in the second half of those photos? Obviously not Providence...

I think the last few photos are Mashpee Commons on the Cape. A Cornish project. Not exactly a city, rather a lifestyle center, though better than many of the greenfield new urbanist projects out there. Mashpee Commons is attempting to make a town center for Mashpee, which doesn't really have one, and the nucleus for the project was a 70s era strip mall.