Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, those pics of Cathedral Squre really highlight the wasteland that place is. That sculpture/fountain brick thingy in the middle has got to be the uglyist public sculpture around. It's too bad, the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul really is beautiful when you see it up close.

Damn, those pics of Cathedral Squre really highlight the wasteland that place is. That sculpture/fountain brick thingy in the middle has got to be the uglyist public sculpture around. It's too bad, the Cathedral of Sts. Peter and Paul really is beautiful when you see it up close.

I agree. I am happy, however, that the city took the effort to trim a few of the weeds. :huh:

As someone who works in the square, I'm really disappointed in the city on this one.

Edited by webbage

I also just posted my photos of the San Antonio, TX river walk.

When I visited, all I could think of was "wow, Providence could do this..." I really loved how all of the river walk was constantly populated with people. There were shops and restaurants all along. Another neat thing they had was tour boats going along the river describing the sites, but, and this was the cool part, I heard you could hire the boat for a dinner cruise prepared by any of the restaurants along the walkway.

I hope as we add more buildings along the river that we can generate this kind of atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

For the photo enthusiasts here, I want to quickly point out a fanatastic photo collection by a woman who seems to be college aged and formally photo trained in Boston named Della Huff. Her stuff (mostly of Boston and its local environment) is absolutely fantastic, and many of us (myself certainly included) could learn from her photography. Thankfully, she has included lens types, ISO's, shutter speeds, etc so we can see "how she did it."

It appears she is doing quite a bit of digital (and possibly real world) darkroom work. She seems to like applying the "glamour shot" glow-lighting effect to many of her shots, but to her credit, it works. She's also doing some interesting darkroom color work which gives her shots a real artistic sheen.

Impressive stuff, easily the best Boston photos I've ever seen (a city that, stereotype aside, I don't think photos all that well).

Her gallery is here.

- Garris

Thankfully, she has included lens types, ISO's, shutter speeds, etc so we can see "how she did it."

Just for the record, the site she is using, pbase.com, pulls that info off of the EXIF header in the digital image, the bonus here being that if you hit the little "full exif" tag, it will give you a ton of info, e.g.

24xf4at.jpg

I'm an a photog dullard, but pbase has, I think, the best collection of photo artists and also seems to have been designed for photogs rather than for selling digital prints. I got turned onto them back when I bought my first digi in 1999, they came highly recommended on one of the review sties, maybe Dpreview.com.

Edited by brick