Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Hey everyone,

Here are three new photos, all fairly recent.

This was an opportunistic photo! While waiting for my workday to start, I looked out my office window and saw this amazing view as the sun was trying to burn through the early morning haze. Providence doesn't often have these hazy, layered, LA-esque views, and I wanted to catch this one. I literally ran out to my car and grabbed my camera. The odd color is provided by the filtering effect of the room's window. This view is from Smith Hill. Also, I think this photo would also be far less interesting without all of the cranes and buliding skeletons going up.

original.jpg

Same morning, this one of the Capitol, which I think looks quite lonely against College Hill:

original.jpg

And after two years, at least, I finally have taken a photo of Thayer Street that I'm happy with. I think this shot captures the flavor and vitality of the street. This photo was almost by accident.

original.jpg

An interesting story with the Thayer shot. As I was taking it, a very young woman with a statuesque figure that could stop traffic, dressed in an outfit that left nearly nothing to the imagination, stepped out of a VW Cabriolet about 10 feet away from me and charged over, saying, "Are you photographing me? Are you photographing me? I can't be seen here like this..." I reassured her I wasn't, that the camera wasn't aimed anywhere near her car, and I showed her the images on the camera. Tears welling up in her eyes and her voice cracking, she said, "No, you really, really don't understand! I really can't be seen or known looking like this..." and then she retreated back to her car. I couldn't help but wonder what that could be... A new college student out for a night on the town not wanting the folks back home to know? Something even less wholesome than that? Either way, hope she's OK...

2 or 3 more images to come later or tomorrow.

- Garris

These images are all also on my newly redesigned website, a PBase powered site which really has everything much better organized, is faster, and has slideshow capabilities. I'm still looking for input on it. Thanks!

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love those new pics, Garris! Especially the Thayer one. And your new site is much easier to navigate now.

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the photos and website. Here are some other new ones:

I have no idea why I forgot to post this ages ago. Here is the detailing on the "Superman" building. Does this say everything about the optimism and power of Providence when built or what?

original.jpg

The great detailing of the Davol Square building with great sunset lighting...

original.jpg

East Sides steeples as seen from Downcity...

original.jpg

Rhode Island Hospital from East Providence...

original.jpg

And while not Providence, here is a shot from New Haven (the top of a parking garage on Long Wharf) of part of the skyline (the interesting part) at sunset. The "skyline" of Yale, including Harkness Tower, Phelps Gate, and other buildings is seen low and in the background from left to right.

original.jpg

That's all for now!

- Garris

PS: To help people find the new photos on my webpage, I've added a "NEW Photos" area from the main gallery page so you don't need to search through galleries. Also note that you can subscribe to my webpage via an RSS feed XML button on the bottom of the main homepage.

Edited by Garris

Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the photos and website. Here are some other new ones:

I have no idea why I forgot to post this ages ago. Here is the detailing on the "Superman" building. Does this say everything about the optimism and power of Providence when built or what?

- Garris

It might be a problem on my end, but the top photo is the same as the RIH photo a few more down. But I checked out your site and this photo looks like what you were talking about. Great pic, where was it taken from?

It might be a problem on my end, but the top photo is the same as the RIH photo a few more down. But I checked out your site and this photo looks like what you were talking about. Great pic, where was it taken from?

Fixed it, thanks for pointing it out!

You know what, I don't exactly remember where I took that from as that image is about a year old. I think I took it from the Arcade Parking Garage.

One nice thing about having my new PBase powered website is that it supports comments for the images, something that my old self-programmed site couldn't without enormous effort. This will allow my new site to serve as a bit of a photo diary for me, reminding me of things I might otherwise forget, like where I took the photos from :).

- Garris

You can, assuming the camera lens has threads to attach the filter. In most cases, the filter will work pretty much the same as it would on a film camera.

Exactly. This applies mostly to digital SLR's. Non-SLR cameras (the consumer digital cameras that most people have) to not have the threads to allow for this. Some outstanding non-SLR's though, such as the type of camera I used previously, do support propietary "lens extensions," and I think some of those are filters.

- Garris

Here are some random shots of Providence:

Wayland Square, my beloved little neighborhood, is hard to photograph. Its intimate scaling and streetfront retail give it its charm, but it actually isn't that architectually interesting. Here, I search for some photographic character in its retail signage, awnings, and leafy surroundings.

original.jpg

The Farmstead restaurant sign on the sidewalk in Wayland Square...

original.jpg

I love this little stone relief that makes the entrance of an old apartment building in Wayland Square...

original.jpg

I felt it was time to give East Providence some photographic love. Here it the town's waterfront on the Seekonk River at Sunset, taken from the Radisson...

original.jpg

Main Street's old colonial-esque and merchantile facades...

original.jpg

Great signage along Main Street...

original.jpg

More photography of the streetscape of Main Street...

original.jpg

Pine Street in B&W...

original.jpg

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Wow, great pictures as always Garris. The signage on Main St. is great. Garris, could you tell me the name of the restaurant in E. Prov on the water in your picture? I have a slight obsesion with any place that has a deck on the water. Thanks

I think its Houlihan's, but I'll let Garris (or someone else) verify that answer.

Garris,

I noticed on your website that you have some of the photos for sale. I would be interested in purchasing one in particular. Are you selling on e-bay or should I PM you on the UP site or on the photo site? Thanks.

Well, hopefully the Paypal system on the website works, but for now, just PM me here...

I believe that's the East Providence Yatch Club.

That's correct as far as I know. I do not know, though, if they have a restaurant open to the public. I don't believe so...

The building on the bottom of the photo is the Brown University Boathouse on the East Side...

- Garris

Well, hopefully the Paypal system on the website works, but for now, just PM me here...

- Garris

I ordered 2 pics...one for me and another for a dear friend in Fla who still gets that RI fix once in awhile. Just a quick note....Some of the photos, although great in color, would look just as great in black & white ...and there wasn't an option to select either one...I know nothing @ photography so I don't even know how easy or difficult it is to have both schemes...lol.....