Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

On my way to Providence yesterday I actually took shots of the distant skyline while going over the Braga Bridge. Despite the motion of the car they came out alright, and when I zoom in I can make out the skyline. However, I cant seem to zoom in and crop it correctly to post it on here :( I tried several times.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On my way to Providence yesterday I actually took shots of the distant skyline while going over the Braga Bridge. Despite the motion of the car they came out alright, and when I zoom in I can make out the skyline. However, I cant seem to zoom in and crop it correctly to post it on here :( I tried several times.

If you want to email them to me I can try.

A tripod would have helped with these:

2006-1221-steeple002.jpg

2006-1221-fulton001.jpg

That's a fantastic shot! Great, great eye... I'd print and frame that if I were you...

It's a happy accident actually, well I was trying to get Textron and 15West to look clever together, I didn't realize how cute RISD{sodEmoji.|}works would look though. There's a bit of cropping that made that final image too. Maybe I'll hang it in my office.

My favorite part may be the reflections in the Textron glass though.

I swear that someday I'll take some pics of the skyline from here in Tiverton and post them; I went walking in my neighborhood the day before X-mas and Westin II is now clearly visible from where I live. The skyline is much easier to see in winter with the drier air and no leaves on the trees. The next clear day on the weekend I'll do it.

I swear that someday I'll take some pics of the skyline from here in Tiverton and post them; I went walking in my neighborhood the day before X-mas and Westin II is now clearly visible from where I live. The skyline is much easier to see in winter with the drier air and no leaves on the trees. The next clear day on the weekend I'll do it.

Around Main Road heading toward the Fall River line? I was driving that the other day, looked over, and happened to notice how spectacular (if distant) the skyline looked.

Edited by Gusterfell

Around Main Road heading toward the Fall River line? I was driving that the other day, looked over, and happened to notice how spectacular (if distant) the skyline looked.

Can you really see the Prov skyline from Tiverton? Isn't Bristol in the way?

There's a great distant view of the skyline from Portsmouth Abbey. If you get the chance to go to the Abbey campus itself (which is up on a hill above the Bay, so there's a better vantage point), or at least the bottom of Cory's Lane, you can see straight up the bay. Someone with a great zoom lens might have some luck getting interesting shots from down there.

Can you really see the Prov skyline from Tiverton? Isn't Bristol in the way?

Bristol blocks the view from most of the town, but just below the Fall River line (and in southern FR itself) the hill is high enough that the skyline pokes out above Bristol.

There's a great distant view of the skyline from Portsmouth Abbey. If you get the chance to go to the Abbey campus itself (which is up on a hill above the Bay, so there's a better vantage point), or at least the bottom of Cory's Lane, you can see straight up the bay. Someone with a great zoom lens might have some luck getting interesting shots from down there.

I'll have to check out the view from on campus. I have photographed the view from the bottom of Cory's Ln. I've got a shot from there buried somewhere in this thread. The only problem is that sitting right at sea level, much of the shorter buildings fall below the horizon. I'd bet the Abbey has a better view, now that you mention it.

What an amazing photo and fascinating viewpoint this is! Thanks for posting it! I've never seen quite a longitudinal perspective on city like this (you can almost put an arrow above each building identifying it...).

I'm trying to figure out the buildings left of the skyline (JD and West End?). Considering how far right the Brown Science Library is in the shot, I'm guessing those buildings aren't far enough left to be hospitals (the zoom flattens everything out perspective wise...). I'm guessing the storage tanks (which could quite large, and thus have to be closer to the camera) are the East Providence tanks?

What zoom is this, BTW? There's a lot of "noise" in the photo beyond the summer haze, and I'm not sure if that's from a digital zoom or post-production magnification.

I was wondering if the little white building to the left of the Westin might be the Hilton. If so, E@B should be quite prominent from this angle. Their names escape me at the moment, but those other tall buildings might be the apartments along 95 south of the Hilton.

I think the tanks are Field's Point. If you picture the contours of the upper bay, I think the foreground land at right is Barrington, and the bay runs between that and the tanks, then jogs left toward the skyline. I could be wrong, though, as I'm still trying to figure out the perspective myself. For example, I can't decide if the State House is blocked by the central skyline (gasp! Tear it all down!), or if it's hiding somewhere over by the Westin and Biltmore.

As for the photo itself, it is 10x optical zoom. I didn't use any digital zoom, if I remember correctly, but I did crop and enlarge by 30% for posting.

Edited by Gusterfell

I forgot to post this one a while back. Nothing profound, but just a nice intimate shot of one of my favorite facades in Wayland Square.

waylandentrancebw45smfe1.jpg

This building, 104 Butler Ave near the main entrace to the East Side Market plaza, is an odd one. I think it's a two family home, but the doors face each other on the sides of the entrance perpendicular to the street. I'm guessing the windows belong to the bottom unit. It's also one of the few non-retail, non-apartment buildings I can think of on the East Side that is absolutely right up against the sidewalk. Interesting.

I'm not even sure if it's occupied. I've seen the light on at times, but I can't recall seeing anyone come in or out, and I can't recall lights in the windows. It's not a neglected building in any way, but it's a tad worn looking.

Whatever its status, it's one of my favorites for being so offbeat.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• 3 weeks later...

There should be at least the skeleton of E@B then too. :)

If I've said it too many times before...sorry...but, this geat perspective illustrates the importance of the parcels running along the Westminster/Weybosset corridor westward. If that is filled in with just a couple of tall (20+) buildings it will fill in the skyline nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...