Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're into overhead walkways. The first is the (gorgeous copper one!) Foundry on Holden St., the second is Eagle St., and I'll give someone else a chane to say what the third one is cause I'm stumped.

Edit: I figured out where the 3rd one is but will give someone else a chance. ;)

Edited by gregw

You're into overhead walkways. The first is the (gorgeous copper one!) Foundry on Holden St., the second is Eagle St., and I'll give someone else a chance to say what the third one is cause I'm stumped.

Edit: I figured out where the 3rd one is but will give someone else a chance. ;)

Yes.

Is the 3rd one Eastern Butcher Block?

Yes.

The second two are taken from more or less the same location. The 2nd one being over Eagle Street and the 3rd one being in the Eastern Butcher Block complex.

I forgot to post this one a while back. Nothing profound, but just a nice intimate shot of one of my favorite facades in Wayland Square.

waylandentrancebw45smfe1.jpg

This building, 104 Butler Ave near the main entrace to the East Side Market plaza, is an odd one. I think it's a two family home, but the doors face each other on the sides of the entrance perpendicular to the street. I'm guessing the windows belong to the bottom unit. It's also one of the few non-retail, non-apartment buildings I can think of on the East Side that is absolutely right up against the sidewalk. Interesting.

I'm not even sure if it's occupied. I've seen the light on at times, but I can't recall seeing anyone come in or out, and I can't recall lights in the windows. It's not a neglected building in any way, but it's a tad worn looking.

Whatever its status, it's one of my favorites for being so offbeat.

- Garris

Lovely shot; good use of the vignette - did you do this in Photoshop or darkroom?

I've always admired that building. I'd been told that at one point, it belonged to Bob Burke, owner of Pot au Feu restaurant in downtown. If he did own it, evidently, he no longer does: Providence Property database.

According to the database, the building has two units: one office, one residential. The arched entry looks like a filled in porte cochere or maybe it was a vehicular entrance at one time; hard to tell. I've never had a chance to really study it because I just catch a quick glimpse of it as I'm driving into Eastside Marketplace. Definately a looker!

Recchia, where did you take this from?

- Garris

also looks like it's near the mineral spring or branch ave exits on 146. take a drive north on 146 to the exit just beyond mineral spring (there's no good skyline view until you get there) and get back on. go slow past the mineral spring and branch ave exits and you'll see the same views in recchia's pic and the pic from the projo article on the westin fireworks.

Lovely shot; good use of the vignette - did you do this in Photoshop or darkroom?

I've always admired that building. I'd been told that at one point, it belonged to Bob Burke, owner of Pot au Feu restaurant in downtown. If he did own it, evidently, he no longer does: Providence Property database.

According to the database, the building has two units: one office, one residential. The arched entry looks like a filled in porte cochere or maybe it was a vehicular entrance at one time; hard to tell. I've never had a chance to really study it because I just catch a quick glimpse of it as I'm driving into Eastside Marketplace. Definately a looker!

You can see that there was a vehicle entrance in the middle of the facade under the street number. Check out the rounded cone shaped guards at the lower part on either side. Could this have once been a firehouse? Or a carriage house for a now gone mansion possibly on the site of Whole Foods?

love aerials!!!

tell your friend thanks and not to be shy to take more :)

I think aerials of Providence remind me of how much I would like at least 1 glassy or shiny addition to the big 3. Thank god 110 is coming. Just too much brick and not enough shine and greenery for my taste.

• 1 month later...