Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RIC is my old Alma Mater. In the late '80s and early 90's that quad was all asphalt walkways The year I graduated was the year the old gym burned down. We had to hold our graduation on another field instead of the quad. The campus looks much better then when I went there a long time ago.

• 1 month later...

It's funny, I was out this morning eager to take pics and when I got to my 9th pics my camera started beeping when I tried to click it. When I looked threw the viewer the message I got was memory card full. I couldn't believe it. Thencamera came with a 12mb card, which I thought was enough. I hope to go out today and buy at least a 1gig SD card. Live and learn, right. :camera:

Edited by Frankie811

It's funny, I was out this morning eager to take pics and when I got to my 9th pics my camera started beeping when I tried to click it. When I looked threw the viewer the message I got was memory card full. I couldn't believe it. Thencamera came with a 12mb card, which I thought was enough. I hope to go out today and buy at least a 1gig SD card. Live and learn, right. :camera:

12 MB is enough if you have a 1 MP camera.

i have a 4 MP camera and a 64 MB card. i wish i had more, but i don't take a whole lot of pictures, so i can deal. the only problem i'll have is while i'm out here in CA. I brought my USB cable just in case i need to offload some pics.

I bought a Canon Powershot S3 IS w/ 6.0mp & 12x zoom. So far, I'm not liking to quality of my shots. I was expecting something a lot more sharper.

Frankie, a couple of possible reasons for this...

1) Is the 12X zoom fully optical or digital? If a part of the zoom is digital, that's the equivalent of using a cropping function on an editing program. So if half of your 12X zoom is optical (done by the lens) and the rest digital (done by cropping software in the camera), at 12X you have the equivalent of a 3 MP camera since it's digitally cropping to get that zoom...

2) If it is 12X optical zoom, remember that's it's hard for anyone to keep physically still enough past about 4-6X zoom to prevent some blurring with motion. Most professional lenses of that zoom or more and many high-zoom cameras have image stabilization (IS) to help at that level, but help is the best it can do. Does yours have IS? The best solution to fix that is to use a tripod.

3) Frankly (no pun intended), 12X is a crazy zoom... If this is an all in one camera (wide-angle to 12X all with one lens setup), then there are those folks out there who believe that the huge range of shooting that gives you has to inherently come with a bit of distortion and quality breakdown...

Camera makers are really going crazy with MP and other features (like zooms) that are increasing complexity but not necessarily quality. Unless printing huge, poster-like prints or doing tons of cropping, anything above 4-6 MP is wasted and will just fill your memory card up.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Frankie, a couple of possible reasons for this...

1) Is the 12X zoom fully optical or digital? If a part of the zoom is digital, that's the equivalent of using a cropping function on an editing program. So if half of your 12X zoom is optical (done by the lens) and the rest digital (done by cropping software in the camera), at 12X you have the equivalent of a 3 MP camera since it's digitally cropping to get that zoom...

2) If it is 12X optical zoom, remember that's it's hard for anyone to keep physically still enough past about 4-6X zoom to prevent some blurring with motion. Most professional lenses of that zoom or more and many high-zoom cameras have image stabilization (IS) to help at that level, but help is the best it can do. Does yours have IS? The best solution to fix that is to use a tripod.

3) Frankly (no pun intended), 12X is a crazy zoom... If this is an all in one camera (wide-angle to 12X all with one lens setup), then there are those folks out there who believe that the huge range of shooting that gives you has to inherently come with a bit of distortion and quality breakdown...

Camera makers are really going crazy with MP and other features (like zooms) that are increasing complexity but not necessarily quality. Unless printing huge, poster-like prints or doing tons of cropping, anything above 4-6 MP is wasted and will just fill your memory card up.

- Garris

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by Frankie811

• 2 weeks later...