Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

I don't know - I did find the instructions on how to do it on GIMP somewhere on the Flickr site.

This is where I got the idea by the way:

http://ebin.wordpress.com/2007/03/21/how-t...sing-photoshop/

gimp rules!

google's picasa program actually does a similar look quite easily. you select the part you want focused and how big you want it and it blurs everything else.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two nice photos by Mike Savad, a NJ based photographer

The first is presumably from the mall. This is a great perspective on our recent construction and how it turns Waterplace into a great urban canal/canyon:

2047019-e986a7ec11c9a65e.jpg

The next photo is entitled "City of the Future" (if only he knew the history of Capitol Cove), but it's a great shot of our "new" and "old" skylines, with the nice touch of including the train as well:

2029150-8e7a5d8d4ddafe48.jpg

I myself have a moratorium against shooting the skyline until all of the major construction is done... We'll see if 110 happens. If so, I'll hold off until it's done. If not, then I'll start snapping away!

- Garris

Edited by Garris

I myself have a moratorium against shooting the skyline until all of the major construction is done...

We know. :rolleyes:

All I know is, I leave for Basic exactly one (1) month from now, and at that point I'll spend the period of the next two (2) months worrying about whatever I'm told to worry about. Which means that exactly three (3) months from now I'm going to be very interested in the goings-on of our fair city, having been deprived of news for two (2!) months straight, and I'm going to be awfully disappointed if our shutterbugs here (ahem, that would be you, Cotuit, and Gusterfell) give me no eye-candy to appease my appetite. So you keep that in mind, mister.

^Well, I'll see what I can do. I'm actually miffed at myself for how little photography I've done this summer. I took some pics of the tall ships, and the Fourth of July fireworks, and that's about it. Which service are you going into, BTW?

Garris, do you happen to know what sort of post-processing Mike Savad has done to those pictures? I like the effect.

To break my dry spell, here are some shots I took on my way to Waterfire this past Saturday:

templepv4.jpg

francisfr9.jpg

skylineqs9.jpg

waterplacezo4.jpg

exchangede1.jpg

Garris, do you happen to know what sort of post-processing Mike Savad has done to those pictures? I like the effect.

Isn't that first picture interesting? I love the way the photographer draws out the best of GTech to establish a kinship with the river. Really a fascinating picture. I've already said this once today, but I have no problem saying it again: score one for GTech.

Also, your own photos (so good to see!) remind me, I really love the brilliant balustrade lighting on the Renaissance. I first saw it a few weeks ago, driving back from ... from ... I can't remember now. But I drove by on the highway at night and was pleasantly surprised to see that building all lit up. Gone is the concern that, despite the renovations, the Temple could still be taken for a derelict at night. I think they've found a very nice solution there. In a word, the building has a definite presence now.

I must say -- again, reminded by your photos -- that my opinion about the new Westin tower isn't quite settled yet. Of course to be fair we have to reserve judgment until the building is fully complete. During the daylight hours, I think I'm not going to be impressed by it. But mostly I'm curious/excited/nervous to see what their nighttime lighting scheme is going to look like. That tower ... is ... going to have a substantial impact on our skyline. Coming from the East Bay today, I drove through the city headed west on 195 and saw (as Garris was the first to point out) that, from certain viewpoints, the new Westin appears to form a Big Three with Superman and Hospital Trust. So yeah. Fingers crossed that they get their lighting right.

Going into the Navy, sir. Seemed fitting for a boy from The Ocean State. :whistling:

I must say -- again, reminded by your photos -- that my opinion about the new Westin tower isn't quite settled yet. Of course to be fair we have to reserve judgment until the building is fully complete. During the daylight hours, I think I'm not going to be impressed by it. But mostly I'm curious/excited/nervous to see what their nighttime lighting scheme is going to look like. That tower ... is ... going to have a substantial impact on our skyline. Coming from the East Bay today, I drove through the city headed west on 195 and saw (as Garris was the first to point out) that, from certain viewpoints, the new Westin appears to form a Big Three with Superman and Hospital Trust. So yeah. Fingers crossed that they get their lighting right.

Agree...with the Westin 2 and the two Waterplace and then maybe Textron and you have yourself a significant improvement in scope and quality of nightime skyline within a couple of months.

Wishing you well in Navy.

And that too reminds me, I didn't imagine that the Waterplace towers were going to make much of a difference to the skyline. At the time they were announced, I was a bit disappointed. I would have preferred one 400-footer to two 200-footers. But they do make a difference, and a significant difference at that, adding depth and infill from nearly all viewing angles. Meaning, in other words, rather than try to alter our skyline dramatically, they help out the skyline we already have, which is a cute little skyline IMHO. All in all, I'm very pleased with their impact.

And if they're going to light their buildings at night, so much the better.

And that too reminds me, I didn't imagine that the Waterplace towers were going to make much of a difference to the skyline. At the time they were announced, I was a bit disappointed. I would have preferred one 400-footer to two 200-footers. But they do make a difference, and a significant difference at that, adding depth and infill from nearly all viewing angles. Meaning, in other words, rather than try to alter our skyline dramatically, they help out the skyline we already have, which is a cute little skyline IMHO. All in all, I'm very pleased with their impact.

i posted some pics a while back that i took from PC of the skyline. you can see both westin towers and both waterplace towers as well as the "traditional" skyline. the new buildings (waterplace and westin) have made quite an impact. unfortunately, those pics were taken when waterplace was just steel and hadn't been topped off yet. i'll try to get new ones, but here are two of the older ones.

313179481_cf49e2db18_b.jpg

313179469_39dce46097_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gusterfell's 2nd picture offers a perfect example of the point I made earlier:

Gusterfell, great photos! That first one is fantastic...

Gusterfell's 2nd picture offers a perfect example of the point I made earlier:

So true... From other angles (from directly North especially and from Prospect Park) the Waterplace towers are front and center.

- Garris

my fiancee and i went up to neutaconkanut park in silver lake today... the views from the ski run are fantastic. here's a taste...

1429877574_cda3653d35_b.jpg

1429001953_543d5565df_b.jpg

1429002191_8412f0767b_b.jpg

1429005663_420e89262e_b.jpg

anyways, the park is a great little getaway from the city life without leaving the city. once you get up into the hiking trails (some of which are tough), you completely forget you're still in providence.

Nice shots! How tough is the ski run to access? Would you feel safe there at dusk/night?

- Garris

the park closes at dusk, but the ski run is pretty accessible. you can either take the easy trail by the trail map to get it or hike straight up the ski run (though the ski run is somewhat steep, steeper than i had expected it to be, probably a tougher green circle or easy blue square run on a medium sized ski mountain). not sure how safe i'd feel. there was some guy there watching his kids skateboard in the skate park who was making jokes at us for going hiking (and my fiancee had her good film camera to take some shots). the neighborhood didn't seem unsafe to me and silver lake seems quite cleaner than the last time i was through there about a year ago. there's a nice parking lot for the park. i'd say it's one of the best parks in the city. i don't know if that answers your question though. to be on the safe side, you might want to take a friend with you... if anything to help you lug any camera equipment up the hill.

Nice shots! How tough is the ski run to access? Would you feel safe there at dusk/night?

- Garris

If you are in that general area there are some great places to take photos. neutaconkanut park is the heighest point probably, but if you go over a few roads to Hartford Ave. towards Johnston there are some great views of the city. I would check out the park and a few of the imediate roads for some unique and good photos.