Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^I'm going to have to check that out. I use GIMP to edit my photos, but there is a lot I don't know about the program. As that review alludes to, there's a bit of a learning curve to it.

Anyway, here's a pic I took a couple weeks ago:

1002690at6.jpg

I took this one last winter and gave it some artsy edits in GIMP, but I never posted it:

1001679bw6.jpg

Edited by Gusterfell

Two nice photos by Mike Savad, a NJ based photographer

2047019-e986a7ec11c9a65e.jpg

2029150-8e7a5d8d4ddafe48.jpg

Garris, do you happen to know what sort of post-processing Mike Savad has done to those pictures? I like the effect.

Was reading through the thread and wanted to take a stab at responding to your question. For the Waterplace image, in addition to the gradient used at the top, I'm guessing that he cranked-up the Unsharp Mask filter in selected parts of the foreground (looks like he went from the top of GTech down to the water but avoided the vehicular bridge and railing at the base of the photo). The effect (especially when you look at the reflections on GTech) reminds me of those Photorealism paintings by Richard Estes.

With the exception of the clouds in the upper left corner, the second photo doesn't look like it was heavily edited in Photoshop. The clouds were probably done with one of the Blur filters or possibly the Smudge Tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Car takes a dunk at Roger Williams Park

Chris Brown, left, of the Providence Fire Department's cold water rescue team tries to secure a car in the pond at Roger Williams Park this morning. No one was in the car. At right is firefighter Bill Higginson.

1601448445_434676ce80_o.jpg

Edited by Frankie811

Car takes a dunk at Roger Williams Park

Chris Brown, left, of the Providence Fire Department's cold water rescue team tries to secure a car in the pond at Roger Williams Park this morning. No one was in the car. At right is firefighter Bill Higginson.

1601448445_434676ce80_o.jpg

i wonder what it says on the side of that car...

Finishing Touches

At top, Ken Lamond of North Providence sets a granite block as construction nears completion of the World War II memorial on South Main Street in Providence. Above, Matthew Sala of Smithfield moves a wheelbarrow through the construction area.1630405849_30de47b36e_o.jpg

Edited by Frankie811

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great view from the Hospital Trust! I always wondered if you could see the skyline of Boston from up there. Maybe at night way in the distance on the horizon? I fly out of New Bedford airport and you can see Boston at just under 400 feet. I know New Bedford is a few miles furthur from Boston than Providence is. The terrain is flater between New Bedford and Boston as opposed to the land between Prov and Boston. I wish they would open the top floor of the old Ind. Trust bldg as an observation deck!

Great view from the Hospital Trust! I always wondered if you could see the skyline of Boston from up there. Maybe at night way in the distance on the horizon? I fly out of New Bedford airport and you can see Boston at just under 400 feet. I know New Bedford is a few miles furthur from Boston than Providence is. The terrain is flater between New Bedford and Boston as opposed to the land between Prov and Boston. I wish they would open the top floor of the old Ind. Trust bldg as an observation deck!

You should see the amazing sight of the Toronto skyline from the Q.E.W. ( Queen Elizabeth's Way ) highway in Ontario when you travel by car from Niagra Falls into Canada. And this is at sea level. The view, although distant from across Lake Ontario, is wonderful. While I don't know the exact distance between the two cities, if memory serves me right, it's like a 2 hour drive on a good day, eh. :lol: Maybe someone who's made this journey can post a pic here.

^Ages ago I saw pics of that view on some architecture forum or other. It is indeed incredible to see the massive skyline rising out of the featureless lake.

I've seen an aerial photo of the Bryant University campus in which the Boston skyline was clearly visible in the far distance. However, it looked like it was taken from closer to 1000 feet, and the hilly terrain looked like it would obscure the skyline from much lower than that. You might be able to just see a couple of the tallest Boston buildings from the Hospital Trust, but probably not more than that.

Since I'm posting in the photos thread anyway, here are a couple of older pics that I've recently played around with in GIMP, using more or less the same effects as the one I posted earlier on this page.

p1kn7.jpg

p2zb6.jpg

Edited by Cotuit
Bad link