• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One interesting side-effect of Midwesting flooding... There were some interesting skyline shots of imperiled Midwestern cities in the media that were educational for me. While I've been to several cities and towns in Iowa, I hadn't been to Des Moines. Shots of its skyline were something of a surprise for a Midwestern city of its size, similar to Providence (190,000 in a metro of 600,000, vs our 180,000 in a metro of 800,000). Take a look!

a_000097_large.jpg

C007_Des_Moines_Skyline_Des_Moines-744406.gif

- Garris

• 1 month later...

there is a view of the Providence skyline from 146South near the Mineral Spring ave exit that is awesome. I would love to somehot pull over and get some pics.

I agree. We've actually discussed that view here before. The consensus was that it is a difficult shot to capture, but if you can pull it off (safely), I'd love to see it!

supposedly (according to garris), there is a view from lincoln as well. i have yet to see it. i do love the view from mineral spring or branch ave on 146 though.

That 146S view is very hard to capture (especially without anything else in the frame, like wires, trucks, buildings, etc). You'd need a 2 story high ladder to do it justice (anyone with one of those ladder trucks who wants to loan it to us for a day??).

There's an awesome view from North Providence (I'll need a mega zoom lens) that I want to shoot as soon as they are done with the BCBS building. The view is looking directly at the big three from up high and far away, with the rest of the city around it. It'll make an outstanding panorama.

Does anyone have access to the pink J&W dorms on Federal Hill? I bet the view from there is awesome.

That 146S view is very hard to capture (especially without anything else in the frame, like wires, trucks, buildings, etc). You'd need a 2 story high ladder to do it justice (anyone with one of those ladder trucks who wants to loan it to us for a day??).

There's an awesome view from North Providence (I'll need a mega zoom lens) that I want to shoot as soon as they are done with the BCBS building. The view is looking directly at the big three from up high and far away, with the rest of the city around it. It'll make an outstanding panorama.

Does anyone have access to the pink J&W dorms on Federal Hill? I bet the view from there is awesome.

i still want to get on top of some of the PC buildings. the view from up there is awesome as well. i'll have to try to get some more updated ones when I have time (unfortunately, I don't randomly walk around there anymore because i don't live near there at the moment).

where's the view from NP? i used to live on the corner of smith and high service where there's a street called city view (half was in NP, half was in prov).

i still want to get on top of some of the PC buildings. the view from up there is awesome as well. i'll have to try to get some more updated ones when I have time (unfortunately, I don't randomly walk around there anymore because i don't live near there at the moment).

where's the view from NP? i used to live on the corner of smith and high service where there's a street called city view (half was in NP, half was in prov).

There are a few good views from the area around Fatima hospital.

There are a few good views from the area around Fatima hospital.

My spot is indeed Fatima.

I want to get up on the roof there. Security is willing to let me up (it's one of the hospitals I'm at) but, since I'd be up there alone for several hours, they're not enthusiastic and I get the feeling it's a kind of a one-time-only deal, so I'm waiting for BCBS construction to advance more towards completion (at least being lit at night) since the BCBS building will be front and center in that view (it'll actually frame the lower left of the "big three" from there).

Edited by Garris