Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Whew... Late night... I'm on call and the hospital just called me at 1 AM, so while I'm killing some time, I'll upload the first of the Newport photos!

These are the environmental shots, looking at Newport from Fort Adams Park and the bridge in the distance...

Have a great Tuesday!

- Garris

shorefront16ui.jpg

lookingnorth7mg.jpg

bridge17vr.jpg

PS: I just confirmed that Pizza Pier is open until 1 AM. Sweeeet....

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone... Here's some more from Newport this past weekend...

Being Jewish, I was very interested in the Touro Synagogue, America's oldest synagogue building, dating from about 1680 and still very active today as an Orthodox Judiasm synagogue and center for Jewish life in Newport. This was the first place we went. As I'd expected, it was a beautiful structure, and located in a great spot in the city.

tourofront110vg.jpg

The Mezuzah from the stone entrance gate:

mezuzah17vv.jpg

A wide angle shot looking through the gate itself:

tourogate112lj.jpg

A wide-angle shot I liked looking at the side with the gate shadow and the contrasting brick of (I think) the Newport Historical Society:

tourosidegateshadow0ib.jpg

More Newport shots tomorrow!

To keep the more urbanism oriented folks awake, here are my archive shots of the "Westin Alley" that Cotuit photographed at various zooms (and not very good at that due to lighting, and the crane ruins things...). It does, however, give a good feel for the narrow "canyon" feel of that street:

westinalleycopy2zx.jpg

westinalley14gi.jpg

westinalley20lx.jpg

Edited by Garris

More from Newport, RI!

Inspired by Cotuit's photos of signs, I took this shot down Thames St. Providence may have some interesting signage, but I don't think we have a scene as frenetic as this, with all the colors, signs, and lamps:

signage19sv.jpg

I also love the courthouse building in Newport as well. How much more perfect an example of colonial architecture can you get?

courthouse17jb.jpg

courthouse24hx.jpg

And, again, to keep the urbanites eyes open, here is a shot looking down Broadway in Newport:

broadwaystreetscape8yh.jpg

More tomorrow. Have a great snowy Thursday!

- Garris

Ah, Thames Street. The commerical heart of Newport right near the water. It's enormously busy and has some nice density. I had fun photographing this area.

Out of curiosity, has anyone in the forum ever lived in Newport? The town itself feels more tourist oriented than resident oriented. What is it like to live there?

thamesst20uu.jpg

topofthebrick11ms.jpg

thamesst10aq.jpg

thamesstwide6kv.jpg

bannisterwharf3ci.jpg

Have a great Friday everyone!

- Garris

Continuing with the Newport photos, I decided to all some more photos today of streets that contain some "density" to them.

A side street off Thames:

thamesst173ap.jpg

More of the side street:

sidestreet159tu.jpg

The cluster of buildings near the Tennis Hall of Fame:

tennisbuildings4xf.jpg

"Top O' the Brick" building from Thames St:

topofthebrick11ms.jpg

A street of colonial architecture:

sidestreet18le.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone!

- Garris

i do not know if i am sending a message to you or not i am new at this i just want you to know that your pictures are great especially the ones of the masonic temple i am working on that project as the laborer steward i been taking pictures of my own inside the building as we take the building apart nothing is going to be save on the inside i took down the east side staircase about 2 weeks ago and the west side is gone and the middle staircase is gone the roof is going to go to go this week

edited out email as the poster may not have meant to make it public.

Edited by Cotuit

Hi Joey, good info about the Masonic Temple. We'd all love to see some of your pictures if you can get them online.

If you want to send a message directly to a member, you can hit the "PM" button under there name and user information.

The first posts of April!

The other day, I was walking out of East Side Market and saw a fantastic sunset after it had rained... In the 4 minutes it took me to drive to Prospect Park for a photo, the sunset had almost completely gone away, but I still was able to get a nice shot of the Capitol, so it wasn't a complete loss... Enjoy!

- Garris

capitolduskzoom9hx.jpg

BONUS IMAGE: From my Minneapolis collection, this shot is 2 years old and, by now, is virtually ancient. I believe the skyline has already been altered quite a bit by development! In the foreground is Lake Calhoun, part of Minneapolis' Chain of Lakes, their version of NYC's central park...

minneapoliscalhounmod22oz.jpg

Nice shots Cotuit! I'd love to see the Dragon 2000 sign shot in the evening with the PPAC sign lit up!

With Waterfire coming up soon, here's a shot from last year of the basin.

Have a good Wednesday everyone!

- Garris

waterfireskylinefrommall9pi.jpg

Cotuit,

Every time I see that shot of the Roger Williams statue on the east side I think it makes him look like

"the DJ of Providence" (his hand is extended slightly as if he were scratching a record) I'm sure you could have fun with it in photoshop. Any idea what the sculptor's intent was? It seems like an unnatural pose.

K

Edited by kurtosis

Cotuit,

Every time I see that shot of the Roger Williams statue on the east side I think it makes him look like

"the DJ of Providence" (his hand is extended slightly as if he were scratching a record) I'm sure you could have fun with it in photoshop. Any idea what the sculptor's intent was? It seems like an unnatural pose.

K

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a slightly different generational approach... To me, he looks like he's doing the Macarena :).

- Garris

More from Waterfire last year, the business district becomes one large ballroom:

waterfireballroom3ny.jpg

BONUS IMAGE: My previous place of residence, Rochester, MN (population 70-80,000 but feels like 17,000 with the amenities of a 7,000 person town, mostly know for being home of the Mayo Clinic and a large IBM division)

rochesterskyfogmod27jo.jpg

- Garris

Out of curiosity, has anyone in the forum ever lived in Newport?  The town itself feels more tourist oriented than resident oriented.  What is it like to live there?

Here's a reader who has lived in Newport- Born and bred, in fact. Yeah, a lot of Newport is geared to tourists, but here's the trick- people who live there hardly ever go to those parts, and there's a whole lot going on there that tourists have no idea about (30,000 people?!? Public housing projects?!? BLACK people?!?). Your photos seemed to be mostly around Thames St. and environs. That is a whole little world of shopping and bars that tourists never seem to leave, and locals only go to to work. Thames St. is, indeed, Tourist Central, but most locals avoid it like the plague, if we can. I brought my husband there to visit family probably ten times before he ever knew Thames St. existed, because I never saw fit to even drive down it.

For a town its size, there's an active arts scene, a sort of beach-town mellowness, and natural beauty to spare. I can't say I was ever bored once as a kid, and am never bored when I go back, even avoiding allk the tourist stuff.

Newport is a great town to live in, if you can avoid the tourists, and a fantastic place to grow up in (largely because the tourists always provide summer jobs, so that's the kicker). Problem is, the housing prices, like everywhere, have gone up way beyond the means of most of us who grew up there. I know I'll never be able to afford to move back. Many many houses are now sold as second homes or retirement homes to afflunet older people- who pretty consistently vote down any school funding, because they have no kids. Which means a larger and larger percentage of the kids who are there live in public housing, and crappier and crappier schools, because there is less funding and the families are poor.

I grew up in a great, mixed-race, mixed-income neighborhood with lots of kids. There really is no place like this left in town anymore. All in all, a great place to live, but increasingly unaffordable and unmanageable for average families.

Here's a reader who has lived in Newport-  Born and bred, in fact. ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your reply. That was all informative and compelling. Your issue about affordability is certainly heard here. I think I gathered from WRNI one day that for Jamestown, only 14% of people who have grown up there in the last 30-40 years could afford to buy a house there now... Sad stuff...

Are there other architecturally interesting areas of Newport that you'd recommend I check out?

- Garris

Are there other architecturally interesting areas of Newport that you'd recommend I check out?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For Victorian architecture, check out the Kay St/Rhode Island Avenue area (head up Ayrault St. from Broadway or up the hill from Touro Synagougue and take a left). For Colonials like nowhere else, wander around the Point neighborhood (cross the railroad tracks from America's Cup Ave. and head down toward Washington St.) Also, check out the Prospect Hill neighborhood for a mix of all kinds of stuff, but most not as fancy as the other two neighborhoods. Side streets behind Touro are pretty cool, too. There's a really interesting renovation of the public housing on Tonomy Hill through the Hope VI program, if you're into that kind of thing (what can I say, I'm an affordable housing junkie).

And PLEASE, walk or bike (if you are able to bike like someone who know's what he's doing)! Traffic congestion is horrific in the summer, it's a lovely place to stroll around, and locals hate nothing more than tourists driving at a snail's pace and ogling like the town is their own personal theme park.

Hope that gives you some ideas for your next photo trip!

hi

I took this photo a couple years ago, its fuzzy because of the zoom.

It's a trolley car up there, photographed near the corner of benefit and benevolent. trolley.jpg

I looked up there so many times and never saw it until someone pointed it out to me.

if you stand in the street around the corners of prospect and george and can get a view of it.

nice photos, garris

Edited by splatterson

hi

I took this photo a couple years ago, its fuzzy because of the zoom.

It's a trolley car up there, photographed from the top floor of the hope club, corner of benefit and benevolent.

I looked up there so many times and never saw it until someone pointed it out to me.

if you stand in the street around the corners of prospect and george and can get a view of it.

nice photos, garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks :) ! Is that streetcar still there? If so, I need to bring my zoom over and get a shot as well.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

hhmmm..

I should of just left that part out.

yes the trolley is still there, the story as I heard it is that the bank president had it hoisted up there. He would hang out in there? I don't know, but I'd love to hear more about it. I also heard that the black object on the top of the building was there to hold a zeppelin.

Edited by splatterson