Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

I posted my Vineyard pics in the main photo section if anyone wants to check them out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great shots Cotuit. Very, very nice composition. The Vineyard looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I didn't have great photography opportunities in Maine, but I'll post what little I got...

- Garris

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

For any rail enthusiasts, I took this hangin from the wires near Park Ave. 

FromPark2.jpg

This one's looking south from Park Ave, you can see FRIP construction.

FromPark4.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I'm so glad there's a Providence thread on Urbanplanet!! Neither skyscrapercity nor skyscraperpage seem to give this amazing city enough love!! I just spent about an hr and a half browsing though all these amazing photos of Provo!

Here's some more:

Mahesh Shantaram's world

I hosted this guy briefly over the weekend as he is an aspiring photographer and he wanted to see Providence. Nice to see the city through some virgin eyes... he liked it for the most part, and was able to stop in to the Roller Derby as well. Go back to the rest of his photos and Providence finds good company with Dubai, Jordan, Yemen and Istanbul.

oh yeah- and there are some photos in there of my apartment.

Edited by ArtInRuins

Here's some more:

Mahesh Shantaram's world

I hosted this guy briefly over the weekend as he is an aspiring photographer and he wanted to see Providence. Nice to see the city through some virgin eyes...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, those are great shots. He got around during the weekend. It's somewhat depressing that he captured shots of a uniqueness in three days that's taken me a year or so to decode :blink:

- Garris

Here's some more:

Mahesh Shantaram's world

I hosted this guy briefly over the weekend as he is an aspiring photographer and he wanted to see Providence. Nice to see the city through some virgin eyes... he liked it for the most part, and was able to stop in to the Roller Derby as well. Go back to the rest of his photos and Providence finds good company with Dubai, Jordan, Yemen and Istanbul.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That shot of the river with Citizens Plaza in it is my favorite. I tried takin that shot a while back and it didn't come out half as good.

I wish I had my camera with me when I was coming up 95 from the south about 10:00 Monday night. We came to a rise in the road and could see easily a dozen different fireworks shows going on simultaneously all over the city- and not little backyard fireworks, full displays. It would have made an amazing panoramic photo.

We could see at least three separate fireworks shows from the second story of our house in the West End- they were continuous until 1:30 in the morning- Obviously a major enforcement problem, but nice while they lasted (I might not have thought they were so nice if they were right next door in our close-packed neighborhood, though).

I wish I had my camera with me when I was coming up 95 from the south about 10:00 Monday night.  We came to a rise in the road and could see easily a dozen different fireworks shows going on simultaneously all over the city- and not little backyard fireworks, full displays.  It would have made an amazing panoramic photo.

We could see at least three separate fireworks shows from the second story of our house in the West End- they were continuous until 1:30 in the morning-  Obviously a major enforcement problem, but nice while they lasted (I might not have thought they were so nice if they were right next door in our close-packed neighborhood, though).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, yes. Those were right next to my house. Vinton Street and Gino's famous homemade fireworks display was very much in effect!

I wish I had my camera with me when I was coming up 95 from the south about 10:00 Monday night.  We came to a rise in the road and could see easily a dozen different fireworks shows going on simultaneously all over the city- and not little backyard fireworks, full displays.  It would have made an amazing panoramic photo.

We could see at least three separate fireworks shows from the second story of our house in the West End- they were continuous until 1:30 in the morning-  Obviously a major enforcement problem, but nice while they lasted (I might not have thought they were so nice if they were right next door in our close-packed neighborhood, though).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were suppose to be launched from Station Park across from Prov Pl Mall. Instead they did it from Capital Hill near state property.

(I might not have thought they were so nice if they were right next door in our close-packed neighborhood, though).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I believe one of those displays you saw was the one on Federal Street behind my house. (Sunday and Monday night...). I must say I've lived in cities all my adult life and have never been in a city (where fireworks are supposedly illegal) where there is so much firework activity. On Federal Hill it starts up around June 15th and should fizzle out around July 31st.

Yes, I believe one of those displays you saw was the one on Federal Street behind my house. (Sunday and Monday night...). I must say I've lived in cities all my adult life and have never been in a city (where fireworks are supposedly illegal) where there is so much firework activity. On Federal Hill it starts up around June 15th and should fizzle out around July 31st.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were several displays off of Admiral St, too. By the size of them, I thought they were professional, then I turned down a couple side streets to see that they were right in front of me.

There were several displays off of Admiral St, too.  By the size of them, I thought they were professional, then I turned down a couple side streets to see that they were right in front of me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe me, we saw them EVERYWHERE from the highway- Smith Hill, South Providence, Federal Hill, Southside, you name it. I thought they were kind of nice, but it highlighted just how inadequate police enforcement is in Providence. The Wild West character of Providence is really obvious at times like that.

They were suppose to be launched from Station Park across from Prov Pl Mall. Instead they did it from Capital Hill near state property.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to Station Park for the Fireworks Sunday night. I thought the display was pretty good. The State House in the foreground added an especially nice touch. Next year I'm hoping for BIGGER & BETTER, preferably with music. But for the 1st show for years in Providence, I was moderatly impressed. I NEED to start remembering to carry my damned camera more often.

Believe me, we saw them EVERYWHERE from the highway-  Smith Hill, South Providence, Federal Hill, Southside, you name it.  I thought they were kind of nice, but it highlighted just how inadequate police enforcement is in Providence.  The Wild West character of Providence is really obvious at times like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen to that, pardner. There have been fireworks going off in the North End for about a month now. I figured after the 4th it would end. Nope. It was pretty cool and all on the 4th, but come on now, let's put this to rest. Saw the Providence fireworks from the top of Smart Street. Great location with a complete view of Providence from up high on a hill. The neighbor who has the property opened up his fence to let anyone in his yard who wanted to watch.