Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Believe me, we saw them EVERYWHERE from the highway-  Smith Hill, South Providence, Federal Hill, Southside, you name it.  I thought they were kind of nice, but it highlighted just how inadequate police enforcement is in Providence.  The Wild West character of Providence is really obvious at times like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found it rather funny that a cop drove the wrong way down Vinton amidst 3 different pro level displays, just smiling away. Our own little parade!

Well. My house has survived at least 30 years of the neighbors celebrating ...maybe I should left the asbestos siding on...

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I'd throw some pics I took today into here, even though my camera sucks and I know nothing about photography.

I really like this view of the city for some reason. From the side of the Train station. Imagine how much better it'll look once Waterplace is up, and when they do something about the Citizens surface lot:

DSCF0134.jpg

I have to say, the sides of Avalon and the back of Avalon that faces the Train station have really grown on me (the front view from Downcity still looks stupid though). This corner reminds of a Boston street corner:

DSCF0129.jpg

"Thought I'd throw some pics I took today into here, even though my camera sucks and I know nothing about photography."

I do really like how the first picture is composed. A picture of a skyline framed with large buildings. Very good. It captures the feeling of being in a city and surrounded by such buildings.

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since any posts from me, but little annoying things like "life" and "work" are getting in the way :). I know it's not Providence, but I thought I'd post the highlights from my Ogunquit, ME trip. There weren't many great photo ops up there, but I did my best.

Hopefully, more Providence and RI stuff to come in the near future!

- Garris

bird1wr.jpg

chimneysky8bi.jpg

couplerocks6yn.jpg

marginalway5jt.jpg

ogunquitbeach9az.jpg

perkinscove2hf.jpg

perkinscovebridge3cd.jpg

rocks9cs.jpg

shoretree3gg.jpg

sunset0cv.jpg

- Garris

Edited by Garris

Hey everyone,

Those photos above were the first I had edited with my new laptop computer and, on my old computer, they look quite dark on the web. My new laptop is one of those "brightscreen" laptops where the OS looks terrific, but I think it's artificially turning up the brightness to the point where I think it's making me think everything I photograph is overexposed and washed out... Or maybe my old computer's brightness was too low... Hum...

How did the Ogunquit shots look to you? Too dark? Thanks.

- Garris

Hey everyone,

Those photos above were the first I had edited with my new laptop computer and, on my old computer, they look quite dark on the web.  My new laptop is one of those "brightscreen" laptops where the OS looks terrific, but I think it's artificially turning up the brightness to the point where I think it's making me think everything I photograph is overexposed and washed out...  Or maybe my old computer's brightness was too low...  Hum...

How did the Ogunquit shots look to you?  Too dark?  Thanks.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They look awesome. Excellent Job!

I noticed that all pix look much darker for me when I'm on my computer at work with a standard CRT type monitor. But when I look at them at home with my (new) flat panel LCD monitor things look much brighter and better.

They look awesome.  Excellent Job!

I noticed that all pix look much darker for me when I'm on my computer at work with a standard CRT type monitor.  But when I look at them at home with my (new) flat panel LCD monitor things look much brighter and better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the feedback... I wonder then again how these images would look printed... <_<

Here's a shot from several months ago of the Turk's Head and friends :).

turkshead9sa.jpg

- Garris

My photography...

^ that picture is F*%cking awesome.  I took one like that of the Hospital Trust tower (oh, One Financial Plaza thats right) once during the day and its always been my favorite.  I like the foggy night as a background so much better though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! I have a photo of 1FP as well on that same foggy night that's pretty cool as well :D. I'll post it some time later in the week.

Here's a link of photos I just posted today in the "Photos" section of UP of my former stomping grounds, Rochester, MN. There's some nice shots there if I say so myself... Here's the link:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...iew=getlastpost

assisiheightscopy9co.jpg

(it kills me that I can't find the original of this shot, only this small version :()

Does anyone else find Providence difficult to shoot during the summer? I haven't done any significant photography in the city since late April, in part because of life and work stressors. But also in part to the fact that our (desirable) folliage makes clear, unobstructed shots hard to get and we do, unfortunately, have a hazy, ozone-like atmosphere that settles over the city. I'm also waiting for some of the construction to fill out the skyline before going bonkers on skyline and panorama shots again (I now have, like, hundreds of images).

Not to fear :). In the meantime, I think I'm going to try to teach myself to do more "character" shots, like I used to do more of in MN and that Recchia's friend Mahesh Shantaram does very well.

Check out this UP link for a fantastic group of character shots of Toronto... I'll have to study these for inspiration...

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12360

Any ideas?

- Garris

Hi everyone,

Here are some photos from high up in the Brown Science Library tower from a couple of days ago when I was doing some reseach there. It's a perspective we don't often see.

All these shots were tough. Some of the photos are hazy since I don't think the windows were cleaned since the building was constructed (I tried to correct for this with the sharpen tool in photoshop in some images). There's also a film or filter on many of the windows, which played with the colors.

That said, if you like the shots, I'll take my camera there another day when I'm there for research and try to get some more.

Here is a different look at the skyline. It's amazing how "down in a hole" it looks from the science library, especially the Westin building, which looks quite small from there!

skylinescili23tu.jpg

skylinescili12aw.jpg

Here's Thayer St from up high! I hope to head back to do a longer exposure shot from a lower floor and when the street is more active. This will also be a better photo during the Winter without the foliage.

thayerstscili2bi.jpg

I had a great sunset with the First Church of Christ Scientist in the distance. I couldn't decide which I liked the most, so here are all four :D:

cssunset19iv.jpg

cssunset25vt.jpg

cssunset31sg.jpg

cssunset47kp.jpg

Bonus Image: Skyline detailing of some of the Mayo Clinic towers, Rochester, MN:

mayocontrast9db.jpg

I'll try to have three or four more shots up later today or tomorrow from my wanderings of yesterday. I will eventually get all these shots up on My Photography Webpage. Take care!

- Garris

Edited by Garris

The Westin looks like a little toy, so cute  :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always thought that the Westin looked very non-impressive as part of our skyline. Hopefully the new tower will help that out. You can barely see the Westin from all the typical good skyline views.

Ok, some more shots, this time from Saturday (before the hecklers stopped me):

Here's the seemingly much maligned Providence Station interior (Ok, I'll agree its too small and that its building materials were cheap and its upkeep abysmal, but I still thick it's a cool minimalist modern design, one of the few I like)...

provstationinterior3tb.jpg

Oh, what a zoom lens and a long exposure time can do... Turn night into day...

downtownstreet3ic.jpg

And, the best t-shirt of the evening hands down (does anyone know if Trinity Brewing sells these?)...

beernotbush9bo.jpg

More maybe to come later...

- Garris

WOW is right!!!!  I take it you were using a tripod  :whistling:  I still love the pic you took of the Westin from the state house a few months ago  :thumbsup:  I want that one framed!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, I used a tripod (that's one of the things that gets me heckled..). It really wasn't night per se, but late dusk. I think that was a 20 second exposure, one of the longer I've ever done. Those actually usually don't don't turn out well, since there's almost always something (wind, passing trucks, people walking by) to shake the camera and blur the image, especially at such a high zoom like above. However, Weybosset was deserted (:(), so there wasn't a shake problem. I'll post an exposure later on that was about half the exposure time.

The great things about photos like that is that you can avoid all of the shadows and harshness of daylight and get an equalized look at all the detailing in the buildings. You also get the benefit of exterior accent lighting and lights on in windows (like in the Westin in that second photo above).

- Garris

Continuing my photos from last week:

Here's a different perspective and exposure down the street looking at the Westin. It was still darker out than the photo shots (this was a longish exposure as well, just not as much so as the last one)...

westinalleycopy5rw.jpg

From earlier in the evening, here are two shots of the skyline, one with the Train Station's clock, one without. It's the classic postcard Providence shot...

provskylineclockcopy8hm.jpg

provskylinestreetcopy7hl.jpg

It's far from a perfect photo (too much dead space), but I just really like this perspective coming out of the Train Station (welcome to a capital city!), and it's better in black and white. I did this quickly, as I thought the sight of someone photographing a train station about 2 weeks after the London bombings wouldn't be adventageous for me...

trainstationsigncopy4ro.jpg

I figure this is the splendid urban detailing that Waterplace condo residents will see out their windows...

urbandetailingcopy7xq.jpg

And finally, I can't believe it's taken me this long, but the postcard PPAC shot at dusk...

ppaccopy1yi.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the shots! These will all be added to my website soon, of course...

- Garris

these are all beautiful photos.  i have one question.  cotuit posted one of the river just south of where the 2 rivers join together over by RISD.  what is that "head" in the water?  i've walked down there several times and i can't figure out what it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It looks like the tin man. That's what I've heard people call it before too, probably just as a joke though.

these are all beautiful photos.  i have one question.  cotuit posted one of the river just south of where the 2 rivers join together over by RISD.  what is that "head" in the water?  i've walked down there several times and i can't figure out what it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a head in the water. :lol: It's called Silverman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Silly!!!!!!!! Why that's the Providence harbormaster :rofl: