Columbia Relocation

Thanks for the help!

I'm considering houses around the area that may be for rent...but not ready for the whole real estate thing.

My office is on Huger...I can drive there if I must, I drive in Charlotte now. (Would be too afraid to try walking on Tyvola!)

I'm in my twirties...so a young professional crowd would be preferable.

Vista Lofts is GREAT - but too expensive for my wallet :(. Vista Commons fits better, but agreed, it is very vanilla.

I will definitely have to check out what Capitol has to offer at that point...or the house/condo for rent market.

You guys are awesome! thank you for your help!!!! and add anymore that you can think of!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kozamel,

My office is also on Huger, and I commute one mile (a 4-minute drive) across the river to The Avenues in Cayce/West Columbia. I rent a cool 3-bedroom house for only $695/month, which is typical for the neighborhood. I am minutes away from the Riverwalk, and the West Vista (and Vista) with its cool vibe is just around the corner. On a nice day, I can walk or bike to work/play. Banks, gas stations, a grocery store, drug store, etc. are on the way to/from work. Best of all, the gorgeous view of the Congaree River coming/going downtown is a wonderful way to begin/end the day!

While the suburban netherlands of Lexington County are decidedly conservative, the proximity to downtown Columbia gives the State Street corridor an eclectic air. Just thought you might want to consider The Avenues, the closest tree-lined, walkable, and charming house-filled neighborhood to Huger Street.

kozamel,

My office is also on Huger, and I commute one mile (a 4-minute drive) across the river to The Avenues in Cayce/West Columbia. I rent a cool 3-bedroom house for only $695/month, which is typical for the neighborhood. I am minutes away from the Riverwalk, and the West Vista (and Vista) with its cool vibe is just around the corner. On a nice day, I can walk or bike to work/play. Banks, gas stations, a grocery store, drug store, etc. are on the way to/from work. Best of all, the gorgeous view of the Congaree River coming/going downtown is a wonderful way to begin/end the day!

While the suburban netherlands of Lexington County are decidedly conservative, the proximity to downtown Columbia gives the State Street corridor an eclectic air. Just thought you might want to consider The Avenues, the closest tree-lined, walkable, and charming house-filled neighborhood to Huger Street.

• 4 months later...

Hello!

We are considering relocating to the Columbia area and we were reading about gun ownership in SC. Is gun control/ownership a problem? We are looking at the Lake Carolina and Irmo areas and was wondering if many of our neighbors would be carrying guns (I read one post from awhile back about a neighbor owning 40 guns and killling all of the cats in the neighborhood).

Also, we have a low incidence of West Nile where we live and don't have sprayings. How is the mosquitoe problem? When is the mosquitoe problem bad (what months) and does it prevent you from playing outside (we have 2 young children)?

Any pros/cons for the NE versus Irmo area would also be greatly appreciated. We are hoping to take a fact-finding trip this next week. We are excited about the potential move- there were just a few things that we wanted to get more information on.

Thanks alot!

South Carolina is very much a pro-2nd Amendmant state, but don't take that to mean that everyone here is a gun-toting looney. You have extremely rare cases, like that one with the person owning 40 guns from time to time, but you can get those kind of things in any state in the union. Your neighbors would most likely be in favor of not restricting gun ownership, but they probably would not own one unless they hunt for sport (which many people enjoy here).

I think you will find that in Columbia, and the other more urban places in SC, people are probably in favor of tighter gun controls- Thats just specualtion on my part though

Irmo and Lake Carolina are each in a nice, safe suburban setting, though on opposite sides of town. I'll leave it to the others to elaborate on the differences for now.

Hello!

We are considering relocating to the Columbia area and we were reading about gun ownership in SC. Is gun control/ownership a problem? We are looking at the Lake Carolina and Irmo areas and was wondering if many of our neighbors would be carrying guns (I read one post from awhile back about a neighbor owning 40 guns and killling all of the cats in the neighborhood).

Also, we have a low incidence of West Nile where we live and don't have sprayings. How is the mosquitoe problem? When is the mosquitoe problem bad (what months) and does it prevent you from playing outside (we have 2 young children)?

Any pros/cons for the NE versus Irmo area would also be greatly appreciated. We are hoping to take a fact-finding trip this next week. We are excited about the potential move- there were just a few things that we wanted to get more information on.

Thanks alot!

Edited by CorgiMatt

Hello!

Thanks alot!

Edited by waccamatt

I second Corgi on not overlooking in-town living, but if you are dead set on suburban life in Northwest Richland County/Irmo or the Northeast/Lake Carolina... there are pros and cons to both.

Traffic is terrible in the Northeast, but IMO the amenities/shopping/restaurants are a little more nifty. It is also a more diverse population, and it strikes me as less traditional/Southern or something like that -- no offense to anyone, just an observation. As far housing options, the Lake Carolina development has a fairly cool traditional neighborhood style community called Harborside.

As far as Irmo/Northwest Richland County goes... Amenities and shopping/restaurants are good around Harbison Blvd., and Schools are great (Lexington/Richland 5 school district) in the Irmo-Chapin area. If you travel down I-26 to Exit 97 you will find a few new neighborhoods popping up, and one of the finest natural settings in the midlands, IMO. It's a toss up, really.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this is where this should be posted... :dontknow:

In searching the net yesterday and came accoss SouthernLivingVacations.com and it listed two growing neighborhoods in the Columbia area, Wren Creek and Woodcreek Farms. :thumbsup: I just thought it was nice to see something about Columbia listed with the other southern states. Also on the site I saw advertisement/details for EdVenture. :thumbsup: I think that this is great publicity for our area, which will hopefully bring in more tourism :camera: , and maybe more relocations to the area.

• 1 month later...