James Island Reincorporation

Spartan

Wouldn't James Island have to pay court fees if Riley took this issue to court? If so, then either way James Island will have to cough up some dough, and I have a feeling that Riley would win (as he has before). At least the state is adamant about the infrastructure being in place with the incorporation of new municipalities.

Yeah, that's the big kicker. The new town of J.I. would start taking a piece of the state revenue pie as well as the county revenue with their own sales tax. They would have the money, but hopefully Charleston has more money and more power to refute these incorporation attempts. Imagine how much money would be saved if J.I. just all became a part of the city... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

McConnell seeks another change to state law to allow J.I. incorporation

Gee, this is about the third or fourth time state law is being changed to allow an area that is completely surrounded by another city, and isn't even contiguous to itself, to form a 'paper town'. Wouldn't it be easier to just let James Island write it's own rules, incorporate, and then change the state constitution to allow whatever rules they used?

If Glenn McConnell would spend half the time he has spent on this counterproductive nonsense on something beneficial, this state might actually pull itself out of the 19th century!!!!!!! :angry:

I wish someone would run against this *&#@!! jerk and send him packing in November. Not gonna happen though.

This doesn't just affect Charleston, changing all these laws will make it easier for incorporations all over the state, leading to still smaller metro cities and vast duplication of services. This is why SC continues to fall further and further behind it's neighboring states.

Glenn McConnell pretty much runs this state. You can be pretty much assured that this will go through.

I only hope that Charleston can keep annexing parcels on James Island so that there will not be anything left to make this town happen.

What I don't understand is why McConnell keeps siding with James Island.

I only hope that Charleston can keep annexing parcels on James Island so that there will not be anything left to make this town happen.

That brings up an interesting point. The incorporation petitions and papers have been submitted under the law as it exists now (meaning additional police protection must be provided). If McConnell is successful, and I agree he almost certainly will be, what does that mean for James Island? Do they have to start the incorporation process all over? If so, will Charleston be allowed to once again accept annexation petitions?

Or will McConnell specifically address this in the new legislation itself? If he does, it strengthens Charleston's case that the law is specific only to James Island, which Charleston has used in the past to invalidate J.I.'s prior attempts at incorporation. Additionally, if McConnell did so, it would seem to make the new law ex post facto.

Any lawyers want to chime in?

What I don't understand is why McConnell keeps siding with James Island.

Which is exactly my question. It is baffling at the least that he sides with James Island when the town will hurt the city, where many of his constituents live. There may be something going on under the table that we don't know about, but I can't even fathom what it possibly could be.

When he has explained his reasoning for supporting the town incorporation, McConnell merely makes the stereotypical argument of people having the right to govern themselves. You know, I agree with that statement, but the reality is that James Island is an integral, full-fledged section of the city of Charleston. Historically, geographically, and economically, the island is connected to the city. The people there have the right to govern themselves only if there is no government currently in place to do so. This is not the case. The unincorporated area is surrounded by city limits with many city amenities and facilities in place. The only option is to be in the city and put in at least one more city council member for the additional population. Afterwards, the people can vote Mayor Riley out of office if they wanted to!

I haven't checked, but I would assume Most or all of the proposed town's residents are his constiuents, and this is an issue they care very deeply about. 99% of the Charleston residents living in West Ashley or the Peninsula don't understand or even care about the impact on Charleston. They probably see it only as a matter for J.I. Therefore, McConnell has little to lose and all to gain by taking up the incorporation cause.

Also, I don't doubt that he really does support 'the cause'. Remember, this is a guy who gave up a law practice so he could sell confederate prints.

Like nearly all members of the General Assembly, he has no understanding of local government, it's problems or importance.

As long as the stars and bars is still flying, he doesn't much give a damn what else happens in the Palmetto state. That's my read on the man anyway.

The ignorance of West Ashley and DT residents is troubling, to say the least. I know my mom and dad don't think James Island should be a town, and my mother grew up there. So they're clued in, but other people respond in a way that is disturbing: "Well, it's that area on James Island, not our area." DT residents are especially guilt of this, many thinking still that their area is the center of the universe. Some residents have a live and let live mentality...in some ways it is good, but in this case, it is especially bad. I have even wondered why there has been no movement or organization that is anti-town, non-city sponsored, of course. I would start one if I was living down there again.

You make some valid points about McConnell, vic. This Confederate mentality is just truly idiotic, and all it does is continue to divide people. It seems to be a "secession" fever...if they couldn't secede from the US, they've got to secede from something else.

99% of the Charleston residents living in West Ashley or the Peninsula don't understand or even care about the impact on Charleston. They probably see it only as a matter for J.I.

They also probably think that its an issue that will turn the whole island into a town. And if that were the case, I might be in favor of it. What I disagree with is that this Town of James Island will have nothing that resembls a town in it. There will be no central areas for a town center, or anything of the sort.

If you can show me how anything like that will be possible, using their old city limits (under the second incorporation I think) then I could reconsider my thoughts.

cityJamesIslandSCtownlimits.gif

Many of the areas closer to Folly Beach have requested annexation into it, rather than Charleston. Is the city still actively seeking annexation from James Islanders?

I think we should go back to the old method of establishing cities- if you can't draw a complete half-mile radius circle around the center of your town (or the 1 sq mi (square/rectangle) then it doens't need to be there.

Now that J.I. has submitted their petitions and incorporation papers, I don't think either Folly or Charleston can annex on James Island until the incorporation election is held, because nearly any parcel would be included in the proposed town. Of course, if the vote failed, then further annexation by Chas. or Folly could resume.

That is where my earlier question comes from. If the state law has to be changed, does that mean James Island has to start over from the beginning of the incorporation process? If they do start over, is Charleston or Folly allowed to annex until the paperwork is re-filed?

^ That is what happened from the previous incorporation attempts. Annexation can occur until the petition is filed...when both attempts failed after the ruling on the lawsuits, annexation could resume almost immediately. I'm just hoping the town will be voted down, giving a finality of the situation.

^ That is what happened from the previous incorporation attempts. Annexation can occur until the petition is filed...when both attempts failed after the ruling on the lawsuits, annexation could resume almost immediately. I'm just hoping the town will be voted down, giving a finality of the situation.

What you are referring to were the periods after the supreme court ruled the town unconstitutional. My question refers to the situation that will be in place when McConnell's change to the law passes. Until the town votes and approves incorporation, Charleston can't seek to overturn it. Would passing this new law start the process (petitions and filing) all over again or would it go straight to an election?

Once a vote is held, Charleston will seek to overturn it, but it takes time to winded its way through the courts. But if the process has to start over again, it MIGHT open a new window for Charleston to annex again until papers are re-filed. That is my question.

Trust me, I'm sure Riley has lawyers lined up ready to challenge this thing in Columbia.

That is not in question, the question is, would they win in court and how long would it take.

• 2 months later...

I need to send him an email as well. If the governor has enough sense, he'll veto it. Kudos to Kathleen Wilson for getting the word out to many James Islanders and asking them to consider annexing into the city. There is a website which details some facts about the city's importance and ties to James Island. It highlights how Chas has benefited the barrier island with parks, recreation, and water services along with other important aspects such as traffic control and development control.

Charleston annexes 17 properties on James Island

There is good news and bad news here. The Bad news is Sanford has signed the bill to change the incorporation laws to allow a lower level of police protection in newly incorporated towns.

The good news is that while this has been going on, Charleston has been able to continue annexing James Island parcels. That window will soon close though.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=...ction=localnews

Well, it looks as if the election on re-incorporation will be within the next month or two. I assume at this point, that Charleston cannot initiate further annexations on the island. Hopefully, Chas. will be successful in overturning this yet again.

I wonder if Hollywood, Meggett, Ravenel receive sheriff patrols at no cost?