James Island Reincorporation

Spartan

This is scary:

"Scarborough said that he and McConnell are discussing potential legislation aimed at allowing Charleston residents on James Island to leave the city and join the town."

What is to stop this type of legislation from happening in other places? Why even have cities if their boundaries are meaningless? Maybe we should disband incorporated places altogether? Or maybe we should throw out defacto dictators.

This is scary:

"Scarborough said that he and McConnell are discussing potential legislation aimed at allowing Charleston residents on James Island to leave the city and join the town."

What is to stop this type of legislation from happening in other places? Why even have cities if their boundaries are meaningless? Maybe we should disband incorporated places altogether? Or maybe we should throw out defacto dictators.

Hey guys, I've been out for awhile with my masters and getting a job, so I apoogize for not writing about this sooner. What McConnell and Scarborough are proposing is hideous and just plain insane. Spartan dictated my sentiments about this issue precisely!

Thanks guys! I'm still up here in Cola. I've got a job working with Health Directions, Lexington Medical Center's wellness facility. It is currently a part-time job since I'm still a full-time student, but the manager has already proposed to me the opportunity to take on a full-time, masters-required job, and I can use it for my residency. I still have to interview with others, but the prospects are looking good. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

A James Island forum to listen to mayoral canditates was interesting to say the least. Apparantly there were a lot of loaded questions, many of which seemed to favor certain people...

Questions like:

"What did you do to help with the incorporation?"

"How do we know you have the strength of character to fight Joe (Riley)?"

Thoughts?

Aritcle

I think it is clearly obvious that the leadership has a huge bias towards the city of Chas. If the town continues to exist, I doubt that they will work with the city in a cordial fashion about any roads or projects. Look for some of these people to oppose completion of the Mark Clark. Here is an article about the many candidates who are running for town offices:

James Island Vote Set for Tuesday

• 2 weeks later...

James Island, County at odds

The next installment in the continuing saga of James Island. I am a little surprised that Stavrinakis is fighting this battle. He is running for state representative, and you would think he would avoid the controversy. J.I. must not be in the house district he is running for.

I wonder if J.I. will shoot cannon balls at the County Courthouse before this is all over.

Edited by vicupstate

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another article that follows up what vic posted. Council members voted 5-3 Tuesday to require cities or towns with more than 5,000 residents to enter into an agreement with the county if they want the sheriff to provide police patrols. The town or city also must pay for the cost of those patrols, beginning July 1, 2007. So, James Island will be asked to pay the county for these patrols, which adds fuel to this fire. This pseudo-town really is becoming a pain to more than just the city of Chas.

Town of James Island to be asked to pay

• 1 month later...

I'm glad that someone on James Island understands this. I still dont understand how Charleston is so evil. If someone can explain that one to me in a way that makes sense I will be impressed. I dont think it can be done though.

I think the connector is being held up by John's Island more so than James Island.