What do we "really" do?

Urban_LA

What is your professional background?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your professional background?

• Landscape Architect
    • Architect
    • Planner
    • Interior Designer
    • Engineering
    • Development (i.e. Realtor, Broker, Developer, etc)
    • Law (i.e. Attorney)
    • Media
    • Educational (i.e. Professor, Teacher, etc)
    • Medical
    • Concerned Citizen
    • Student
    • Other (if so, please indicate what profession)

Just curious as to what we "really" do. Posting to UrbanPlanet does not necessarily constitute a profession, so I thought it would be good for all of us to come clean. :D I will be the first to vote and to comment on why I am a Landscape Architect (feel free to elaborate or just vote).

Decided to do Landscape Architecture as opposed to Architecture when it came time to "pin-up" and get into either Interiors, Lanscape or Architecture. I did so because I liked the variability of scale inherent in Landscape Architecture and thought that Architecture focused to often on the edifce and not the context. I have worked on projects that were simply "landscape" plans and I have helped master plan the growth of downtown areas and universities. Big scale, little scale it all falls under Landscape Architecture at some point (and it usually has nothing to do with landscape...who would have thunk it? :blink: )

That being said, I truly love Architecture and view myself as an Architect in a Landscape Architects body. To me, it's all about design, or as I like to quote, "all design is interrelated, and that work in several fields strengthens abilities in all, providing for a diversity of perspective not usually open to a single discipline" - Verge Studios.

The Urb

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done many varied things, switching between computer work, electronics, car work, etc... I'm never happy with my job after a while and usually go for a drastic change, which ends up biting me later on.

Now I am back with computers and I am presently a product field engineer (=remote level 3 tech support), supporting client specific hardware/software crap. I'm not terribly happy, but it does pay well and I don't have to take it home with me. I also work a shift that allows me to avoid the morning and evening rush.

When I lived in Charlotte I worked for a telecommunications company in Huntersville, working with the engineering teams. My job was picking out suitable semiconductors for each application given a set of desired characteristics, testing them in a simulated environment, then eventually obtaining them for use in a circuit. I was a bit unhappy because the work involved reading a lot of datasheets and working with damned surface mount electronics. The job fit my otherwise boring personality though.

Before that I did more computer work, this time on-site on-call support. Before that I was a factory trained Audi tech, working at a dealer (I doubt I'm up to date now). Before that I built high-end audio equipment. Before that I did technical theatre related work. I did the last two while going through school.

Jesus I've changed careers a lot in the last 10 years. No wonder I have so much trouble getting people to hire me. Someday I'll settle with something.

I assume you're asking in relation to development or planning. So I picked a cocerned citizen. I'm a computer operator. No joy at all in that.

I'd like to get into real estate development or restoration at some point. I've tried for a couple of deals already, but nothing has come together yet.

I am a (soon to be) Doctoral candidate in Math specializing in graph/cartographic theory. I have an interest in the mathematical models of architecture and defining new/current buildings through sets of equations. I also have played around with the "fractalization" of Sim City and actually published a small piece on repetitions within rendered 3D solids. (models) I primarily teach and research so I voted "education"

My current project is a statistical analysis of large city growth/decline and a look into predictions/outcomes relating to a few known variables. For those of you who have taken a basic course in statistics this is called "regression."

I am a (soon to be) Doctoral candidate in Math specializing in graph/cartographic theory. I have an interest in the mathematical models of architecture and defining new/current buildings through sets of equations. I also have played around with the "fractalization" of Sim City and actually published a small piece on repetitions within rendered 3D solids. (models) I primarily teach and research so I voted "education"

My current project is a statistical analysis of large city growth/decline and a look into predictions/outcomes relating to a few known variables. For those of you who have taken a basic course in statistics this is called "regression."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think fractal rendering could be applied realisticly to sim city?

Regression is not my friend. I applaud you fo rbeing able to understand all of that statistical mess :)

I'm a student. I'll eventually join the work force and be productive.

I like this thread.

I'm currently an analyst working at a consulting firm that specializes in the money management of large pension funds and endowments. I have an interest in real estate investments and finance and plan on moving into this field in a few years.

Needless to say, I voted "other"

Do you think fractal rendering could be applied realisticly to sim city?

Regression is not my friend. I applaud you fo rbeing able to understand all of that statistical mess :)

I'm a student. I'll eventually join the work force and be productive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it can be. The thing is that EA/Maxis already have a set engine for the buildings. We will never see fractal generation in Sim City as long as Maxis insists upon an outdated and unergonomic use of space and code. Also generation using fractals would seriously decrease the detail of the buildings as well as erase the BAT from use. Many players would probably have major objections to this.

However, it would save gobs and gobs of memory. A building currently takes up 3Mb+ of space makin the game more than 1.5Gb in size. I also would allow for much improved game performance and (relatively) unlimited city sizes. It would also be possible to render a building in the BAT and then transfer it over to fractal geometry for use in the game.

With the way technology and computers are headed (power for cheap) I doubt this will ever become a reality. It would be neat, though, to be the guy who revolutionized Sim City. :) I can dream......

I like this thread.

I'm currently an analyst working at a consulting firm that specializes in the money management of large pension funds and endowments.  I have an interest in real estate investments and finance and plan on moving into this field in a few years.

Needless to say, I voted "other"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like an interesting area, I'm pondering a different career path for myself and real estate looks interesting. I could maybe support urban real estate projects sometime in the future and make money doing it. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No malice intended...but just reading your post gave me a headache. I would have never fathomed how the mathematics that you mention relate to urbanism. Truly amazing...let me know when you are published.

:thumbsup:

The Urb

I am a "rocket sicnetist", graduated 2004 with a Master degree of Science in Aerospace Engineering. Did some research for NASA on sounding rockets and rockets launching. Major in aerodynamics and machine design. Now, due to status problem, I am working as a design engineer in a small company designing extrusion presses and conveyor. Also work occasionally for a local archictecture firm.

I am a "rocket sicnetist", graduated 2004 with a Master degree of Science in Aerospace Engineering. Did some research for NASA on sounding rockets and rockets launching. Major in aerodynamics and machine design. Now, due to status problem, I am working as a design engineer in a small company designing extrusion presses and conveyor. Also work occasionally for a local archictecture firm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are truly amazing. You do my job plus an engineers job. My hat is off to you.

LoL, thanks but I do not know how to model archictecture by equations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can model thrust and propulsion through a series of models though, right? Buildings, which are mostly rectangular, are far easier to define. Predicting the flow and power of a chemical reaction is beyond my ability. Defining the Sears Tower is far easier.

What kind of work do you do for an architecture firm?

Yes, you can use a bunch of equations like equation of motions to model the air flow depends on what kind of air flow it is. The thurst equation is just similar to equilibrium of forces equations. The propulsion parts are heat transfer. I dont do chemical reaction like calculate molecules and stuff. For the arcictecture firm, just used my drafting skill to do some model and layout for the firm to make extra cash. It is one of my friend's firm, so I just help him out. Sometimes, I got to tell him what to desgin too.

I just realized what I really wanted to do 2 years ago, after realizing that playing in a decent band with no silly MTV friendly gimmicks probably wasn't going to afford me any kind of financial security. :D

I'll be transferring to the F.I.R.E. (Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate) program at UNCG this fall. I want to learn more about long-term value investing and money management. I will apply what I learn to what I really want to do, which is to redevelop historic and/or urban properties.

I used to work in Mastering/Quality Control at a multimedia manufacturing company. I used to edit spoken word masters and check the sound quality of various analog tape production runs.

My kind of band do u play in?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not in any bands right now because neither I nor my former bandmates have the time to play. I played in a band called Franklin Kane's Fist. Our sound has been described as listening to The Who and Elvis Costello & the Attractions while watching an episode of benson with your thumb in a light socket.

My own music is different than what we played in the Fist. I have some songs on my website. They are pretty low-fi recordings. link

Archived