What do we "really" do?

Urban_LA

What is your professional background?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is your professional background?

• Landscape Architect
    • Architect
    • Planner
    • Interior Designer
    • Engineering
    • Development (i.e. Realtor, Broker, Developer, etc)
    • Law (i.e. Attorney)
    • Media
    • Educational (i.e. Professor, Teacher, etc)
    • Medical
    • Concerned Citizen
    • Student
    • Other (if so, please indicate what profession)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently, I am a student. And to be totally honest with you, I'm in Middle School. Still. If you're interested though, I'd like to be a meteorologist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, thats a great career. I hope you stick with it. When I was young, I wanted to be a meteorologist too. Weather has always fascinated me; I still get excited when severe thunderstorms roll through, or a hurricane approaches. The math however was a problem for me... meteorology is very very mathmatical. But I supposed nowadays computers have become the big number crunchers in this field..

I always wanted to be a meteorologist, also, but when I started college in 1982 there were approximately 250 job openings per year for meteorologists in the entire country. That was before The Weather Channel made it big and before very many TV stations had meteorologists so I majored in business. Geography, meteorology and cartography were my first loves, though.

Are you serious? I've always loved geography and meteorology. I even used to want to be a cartographer. Right now, though, weather is what I like the most. We had some really bad storms this morning so I woke up early and watched the news to see what was going on with the weather. I've probably been interested in meteorology for about five years now.

I'm a student at FSU majoring in Psychology, hopefully specializing in Child Psychology and Development. I just love cities and, being in Tallahassee, these kinds of sites are the closest I can get.

From Tampa originally though... I love it there; it feels like home - and we're getting some decent development!

I'm a student at LTU, a small private university in metro Detroit, majoring in architecture. I hope to specialize in urban residential projects. I have always been fascinated by urban environments, although I have always lived in the suburbs. Hopefully that will be changing in the next couple of months though. :)

I'm a mortgage underwriter for the finance division of General Motors. In addition I work on credit risk models and analytics to set lending guidelines for the company. I spend a huge part of my day looking at residential appriasals, which I enjoy. I get to see a 3000 square foot house in suburba LA go for $2.4 million and the same thing in San Antonio go for $200K, it allows me to observe the run up in real estate prices out in the suburbs of America.

• 2 weeks later...

I fly aeroplanes for Uncle Sam, am in contact with lawyers trying to reduce my commitment to the above to 8 years from 10 (since only 3 years worth of pilots got screwed with the 10-year commitment; it's confusing, I know). Once I'm finally on the outside I intend to use Uncle Sam's generosity in the form of the GI Bill to go to law school, drink beer, chase sorority girls, and grow my hair long. I plan to focus on land use law, though I have varied interests.

Archived