Augusta, Jo-Ja photos, Part I: Downtown

Topher1

Here are some photos of Augusta collected over the course of 3 trips home (Dec. 2003, Oct. 2004, Dec. 2004). Most are taken around the Broad Street area of downtown and the Riverwalk (Part II).

Note: Before viewing my thread, I strongly recommend checking out SCGuy's new thread (inspiration for me to finally do this) over at SSC. He does a great job of making Augusta look delicious and he showcases some of the awesome neighborhoods adjacent to DT.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=177635

OK... on with my tour. My camera only works well with perfect weather, so excuse the gloominess... Welcome to Augusta!

agsskyline18tg.jpg

First, a skyline shot from the newly completed I-520 extension in N. Augusta, SC. I wish I had better zoom.

agsskyline20in.jpg

Skyline from Riverwalk

agsskyline34wt.jpg

The next several shots are from lower Broad St., which is typically comprised of bars and strip clubs, but also contains some of the larger office buildings. The road is divided with heavy vegetation in the median, so its impossible to take photos that show both sides of the road.

agsbroad15ks.jpg

agsbroad25tl.jpg

agsbroad105gd.jpg

The railroad shown here is still very active (and annoying). Its an unnerving experience driving down the street alongside the giant freight trains.

agsbroad113xy.jpg

Mmm.... future downtown lofts perhaps?

agsbroad092cm.jpg

Now some nicer buildings and facades from Broad St. News Buildings.

agsbroad067tv.jpg

Trendy, Indian style Club M (Modeska, Mojeska... some dumb name like that).

agsbroad072qk.jpg

Apartments

agsbroad089rm.jpg

The sexy Imperial Theatre.

agsbroad121dy.jpg

Tall cluster, with Lamar building in back.

agsbroad145gr.jpg

I just love water towers on buildings... The Whites building... former dept. store, currently in loft conversion...

agsbroad164bc.jpg

Nice cluster

agsbroad156bo.jpg

The county school board's new consolidated offices, still under renovation in this pic...

agsbroad136eq.jpg

A couple of the side streets in the lower Broad St area. Municipal building.

agsbroad039ki.jpg

Wachovia + Riverplace

agsbroad047eu.jpg

Attractive street corner.

agsbroad058kw.jpg

The northern area of Broad St. is known as Artists' Row, and is made up of mostly funky restaurants, bars, art galleries, and antique stores. Some nice apts are here too, and the area can have a mini-Mardi Gras effect during downtown festivals. First some nice apts with street retail...

agsartist27gd.jpg

agsartist34tp.jpg

agsartist15tt.jpg

Random corner shot...

agsartist40kf.jpg

Lower Broad from Artists' Row...

agsartist56rp.jpg

Beautiful Sacred Heart cultural center

sacheart10qu.jpg

sacheart25zr.jpg

Also visit Part II, showcasing the riverfront area.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or does it always look hot in Ga? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh, thats interesting... I think its just you ;) Most of these shots were taken when I went home for the Christmas holidays, and the rest in October, so rest assured, it was on the chillier side...

Nice images Topher!

Have you ever been to the Discoteque Lounge and seen the infamous Snake Lady? In the National Geographic book, "A Day in the Life of America," she was the only image for Augusta. Alot of the locals were mad, thinking people would get the wrong idea of Augusta, perhaps thinking it was only made up of sleazy strip clubs and stuff. It does have a reputation for that though, at least for the people who live up here in the Upstate SC. They always think of Augusta as the place to go to see strippers...LOL!

Have you ever been to the Discoteque Lounge and seen the infamous Snake Lady?

Heh, thats funny... I haven't been there(show girls aren't exactly my "scene"), but that sounds like something that would be funny enough to check out next time I'm home... It seems like "performers" in small cities rely more on fun gimmicks than their big city counterparts... The Augusta area has some of the most "unique" (non-stereotypical) drag queens and entertainers that I've seen anywhere...

Alot of the locals were mad, thinking people would get the wrong idea of Augusta, perhaps thinking it was only made up of sleazy strip clubs and stuff.

That's not far from the truth, at least for a few blocks of downtown... Fortunately, there's much more to do in the city than strip clubs (theres also tattoo parlors and pawn shops :P )

• 3 weeks later...

Topher - Nice photo tour of Augusta! As a long-time resident (now living in Kansas City), this reminds me a lot of home. My parents still live in Augusta, though out near RiverWatch Parkway and Stevens Creek Road. I get home occasionally, but not as much as I'd like.

Interestingly, I dated a girl for a few years who lived in the second floor apartment above the Sho Ane Bridal Shop in your second Artists Row photo. Her living room windows were the two directly above the Sho Ane sign and opened completely so one could step out onto the balcony. We watched many people and parades from that perch. The kitchen window is over the blue "Apartments for Rent" sign hanging from the balcony. Man, that brings back memories... :mellow:

I also worked at the Soul Bar at 9th & Broad Street for a couple of years and that too, is now an Augusta institution (but I don't see any photos!). Nice job on the tour!

Spartan - You are correct: It always looks hot in Georgia. It often is hot, but even when it isn't it looks that way. At least Augusta doesn't have the gnats and other pests that south Georgia does to add to the misery!

Nice images Topher!

Have you ever been to the Discoteque Lounge and seen the infamous Snake Lady?  In the National Geographic book, "A Day in the Life of America," she was the only image for Augusta.  Alot of the locals were mad, thinking people would get the wrong idea of Augusta, perhaps thinking it was only made up of sleazy strip clubs and stuff.  It does have a reputation for that though, at least for the people who live up here in the Upstate SC.  They always think of Augusta as the place to go to see strippers...LOL!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have our fair share of strip clubs in the Upstate too though. Probably just as many as Augusta or more, so we really don't have room to talk on that one.

Heh, thats funny... I haven't been there(show girls aren't exactly my "scene"), but that sounds like something that would be funny enough to check out next time I'm home... It seems like "performers" in small cities rely more on fun gimmicks than their big city counterparts...

Archived