Southern City Transit Funding

monsoon

^ Suffice it to say that those opposed to Iraq are going to revel in cost comparisons between the war and American mass-transit. Whereas those who support Iraq are going to be undaunted by such comparisons.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed.

Satalac, do you really think the Iraqi people will "Vote" in a new tyrrant? Do you even know what a majority of the insurgents are from? Can you explain how a common Iraqi would have a stockpile of dozens of rocket propelled grnades and launchers? Or know how to create and plant IED's?

Do you honestly think that a group with no country, no value of human life did 9/11 because America, the biggest money supplier to the ME, stuck it's nose in too much?

If you've seen Moore's film, how much of it do you believe?

monsoon, if you get back to this thread, you have a very wordly board here and that's pretty rare on the net. Would it be possible to set up at least an official thread that gives a world view input on this situation so long as the debate level doesn't resort to insults and name calling?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You two aren't naive enough to believe that our leaders went to war for the benefit of the Iraqi people do you? The people that operate our country are businessmen, very VERY successful businessmen, do you really think that liberation is the motivation for this HUGE investment? It's all self-centered back rubbing garbage. The premise of "ensuring our safety" is only a benign benefit and is barely worthy of merit.

I suppose you two also believe that a republican president is going to make abortion illegal too. Ha! You really think they are stupid enough to end one of the debates that their campaigns pivot upon? :rofl:

This is the problem with American politics.

Do you honestly think that a group with no country, no value of human life did 9/11 because America, the biggest money supplier to the ME, stuck it's nose in too much? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes. how do you know they don't value human life? what other way are they going to retaliate against the wrongs that they feel the united states did to them? conventional warfare is way out of the question and a protest would simply fall on deaf ears. these people acted out of desparation. do you realize how many people we actually kill in the middle east due to our actions? do you realize that when we placed iraq under sanctions that we directly killed 500,000 CHILDREN. this is fact. even when madeline albright (who was under clinton, yes a democrat) was asked about if this was worth it, she simply said "it's worth the price". we're talking half a million children alone that were killed because of our actions. who wouldn't be upset at this? while my hearts and prayers go out to those who were killed in 9/11, they also go out to all of the people that we have killed too. i support our military fully and know that they are willing to risk their lives for me. i'm just saying that our policies towards others needs to change if peace is to come to the world. the only way to have peace is to make peace. i'm sorry if you feel like i have insulted you or called you names. it was not my intent. i repect your opinion and will listen to it. it doesn't mean however that i have to agree with it, just as you don't have to agree with me. but back to the topic after my long tangent :P . i do feel the south is getting screwed by the feds. it is one of the most prosperous (spelling?) areas in the country. i don't understand why they don't want to see it succeed.

Before this progresses any further, I think the political talk should come to a close. Everyone should know that you aren't going to convince anyone that your view is correct, so you might as well just stop trying. Secondly, some people find such discussions distasteful. As a general rule, it is best to avoid discussions of a political and religious nature in public.

It is a shame that our president's budget excludes so many transportation upgrades, but perhaps in 2008 we will get one (republican or democrat) who puts more priority on infrastructure, especially in growing areas that will need something in the near future.

^ I think you're right that very few on this forum would agree with Viper, given the cultural leanings of most urbanists. But in Viper's defense, it may have been the usual Bush-baiting that set him off.

I for one don't see the relative paucity of funds for mass transit as a Bush thing, but rather an American thing. Or do you imagine that Bush and fellows are trying to ramrod through a highway-heavy bill against the strident protests of untold millions who desire to eschew their cars ?

Probably not.

Archived