Providence Projects v2.0

BANNER-PVDprojects2.png

MAP-001.jpg

up_citytalk_88x15.gif To view 'Providence Projects v1.0' click here.

1. Brown University | 70 Ship Street

Brown70Ship-001.jpg

Use: University science labs

Cost: est. $20 million renovation

70 Ship Street is part of Brown University's efforts to relieve pressure on it's aging laboratory spaces. The Jewelry District space is being developed in conjunction with the Life Sciences Building located on the University's College Hill campus. The additional space will support the University

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BANNER-InProgress.png

8. 70 Kennedy Plaza Condos

70Kennedy-001.jpg

-Image from Art in Ruins

Location: 70 Kennedy Plaza and Westminster Street | Financial District

Use: Condos, ground floor retail

The six-story former People's Savings Bank building faces Kennedy Plaza on one side and Westminster Street on the other.

Each floor is expected to have two condo units; the building is actually cut in half with two towers, Swanson said, so units on the Kennedy Plaza side would be larger, about 1,800 square feet, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The smaller units on the Westminster side will be about 900 square feet, with one or two bedrooms and one bathroom.

Prices for the units will range from $276,900 to $699,000. Swanson said the commercial space, which occupies the majority of the basement, would most likely be leased. Algen, which considers Providence to be its world headquarters, now occupies the majority of the fourth floor on the Westminster Street side and CVS is on the bottom floor facing Kennedy Plaza.

Some of the amenities that will come standard in the units will be hardwood floors, marble bathrooms and stainless steel appliances. Those people who purchase early may have the opportunity to customize some elements of the unit, Swanson said. The other units will be built in the standard layout, he said.

The units on the Kennedy Plaza side are restricted in layout by the building

BANNER-Proposed.png

21. Brown University | Sidney E. Frank Hall

BrownSydneyFrank-001.jpg

Use: University academic building

A $20-million gift from New York businessman Sidney Frank - the largest single gift for a building ever made to Brown University - will allow Brown to proceed with planning and construction of a new academic building and a large, landscaped urban green space on Angell Street. At its meeting May 29, 2004, the Brown Corporation accepted the gift and authorized planning for the project to proceed.

Links:

Brown University | Building Brown

22. Capital Centre | Parcel 2

Waterplace Project

Parcel2-001.jpg

Use: Residential, retail, restaurant

Intercontinental plans to build two towers containing 275 high-end apartments, sitting atop a garage with space for more than 500 cars.

The project would occupy what is now a grassy, trash-strewn, 2.1-acre lot, bounded by Park Row West, Exchange Street, Memorial Boulevard and Waterplace Park.

Retail stores would occupy the ground floor of each building, which would be arranged around a pedestrian courtyard and walkway leading between Exchange Street and Waterplace Park.

A third building, across from American Express Plaza, could contain a hotel and offices in a later phase.

Intercontinental bought the development rights to the site, known as Parcel 2 in the Capital Center special development district, from Eastman Pierce of Connecticut.

Last I heard this is still being reviewed by the Capital Center Design Review Committee.

Links:

up_citytalk_88x15.gif Capital Centre Parcel 2

23. Capital Centre | Parcel 6

Capital Cove Apartments

Parcel6-001.jpg

Use: Townhouses

This proposal for townhouses along the Mossashuck River near the Providence train station has been floating around for while now. Rumour has it that the MetroPark lot that currently occupies this parcel was to close in December to make way for the development, December has come and gone however. I have spoke to people at MetroPark who now say that date is April. I would assume the hold up has to do with the Capital Center Design Review Committee process.

Links:

up_citytalk_88x15.gif Capital Cove

24. Federal Hill Condos

FederalHillCondo-001.jpg

Use: Condos

Ten story, 43 unit condo at the west end of Atwells Avenue on Federal Hill. The 145 foot building received 5 zoning variances to get approval to build and there is a degree of neighbourhood opposition to the building's size in a district of mostly 3 to 4 story commercial and residential buildings.

Links:

up_citytalk_88x15.gif Condos approved for Federal Hill

25. Holiday Inn Renovations

HolidayInn-001.jpg

Building Constructed: 1969

Use: Hotel, expansion to include steak house, sports bar, cafe, and additional parking

In addition to new restaurants and expanded parking, the facade of the hotel is due to be redone.

Links:

up_citytalk_88x15.gif Holiday Inn renovation plans

26. New tower at The Westin

WestinTOWER-001.jpg

The Procaccianti Group won the bid to purchase the 364-room Westin Hotel which is currently owned by the state. The privately-owned company says it plans to spend $40 million to $60 million to improve and expand the hotel by 200 rooms on adjacent vacant land, according to a company press release issued today.

As part of the expansion, Procaccianti wants to build a mixed-use development containing street level retail, several floors of office space and luxury residential on the top floors, the company said. The company may also move it's corporate headquarters (100 workers) from suburban Cranston to the new tower.

Final negotiations are continuing with the state. Construction could begin at the end of the year.

Links:

up_citytalk_88x15.gif Westin Hotel for sale by state

27. RISD | Chase Center

RISDChaseCentre-001.jpg

Use: Museum expansion, auditorium, student galleries, and caf

BANNER-StatusUnknown.png

29. Dunkin Donuts Center Renovations

DunkReno-001.jpg

Use: Civic Center, home of the Providence Bruins

The city and state continue to work out an agreement to transfer ownership of the "Dunk" from the city to the state. The Convention Center Authority could take over control of the "Dunk." The plan is to perform much need renovations on the 30 year old structure and to integrate it with the neighbouring Rhode Island Convention Center allowing for large conventions to utilize both facilities.

Links:

up_citytalk_88x15.gif State plan to revive Dunkin Donuts Center

30. East Side Tunnel

EastTunnel-001.png

Use: Bus transit

Reopening of a rail bridge and abandoned tunnel under Providence

Brilliant update Cotuit! There is quite a bit going on, although, looking at the 1.0 version, not that much is really new. There are a lot of projects that have just been sitting there for a while. People where I work tell me that the Brown Ship Street project is complete and fully operational right now...

I'll try to scan and e-mail you an image of the proposed Wayland Square condos...

Oh, and I think the Heritage Harbor project is (unfortunately) looking quite dead... :-(

- Garris

Providence, RI

There is quite a bit going on, although, looking at the 1.0 version, not that much is really new.  There are a lot of projects that have just been sitting there for a while.  People where I work tell me that the Brown Ship Street project is complete and fully operational right now...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a few things I didn't add. The new Citizens HQ rumour for example, I know next to nothing about it, so it's not included. There are some more mill projects near Eagle Square and Rising Sun that are getting ready to go, but again I have no solid info to post. I didn't include J&W's Harborside expansion nor their proposal for under 195 (that's a ways off still anyway). A lot should be being planned soon for under 195. It's still 5 years off but developers will begin jokeying for space. There's a few other rumours and whispers here and there that I don't really have anything to go on.

Brown also has a claim on the area under 195 across from 70 Ship.

I'll try to scan and e-mail you an image of the proposed Wayland Square condos...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That'd be great, and I can't believe that I do not have a picture of 15 West, I walk by it everyday. I didn't get out of work until after dark today, so I didn't take a photo.

Occupancy for Peerless is now slated for June 1. I'm looking into one of the units. Also from what I hear the cafe for the new RISD building will be a starbucks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That'd be cool to get a space at Peerless, it looks spectacular. The rents there are a bit too steep for me, and I'm still a ways from affording to buy anything, soon though hopefully.

I hadn't heard about Starbucks at 15 West, I'll have to look into that more. I would imagine there will be a full dining hall there as well, they'll have a lot of students. Though many units are full apartments with mini-kitchens. I'd really like to live there actually, the rooms look sweet!

You should make this section  a little more easy to find from the providence section. Also a great project that got skipped is The Pell Chafee Performance Center.

Trinity Rep

artinruins

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll move it into the Providence section eventually, I just wanted to give the members who don't frequent the Providence section a chance to see.

What is up with the Pell Chafee? It's been stagant for about a year, but there seems to be some activity lately, they put in a wheelchair ramp on the sidewalk, and you can see into it now from the street. It's a GIANT space.

Great list Cotuit!

A couple of things:

The photo you have up for Rau Fastener is not correct, though I am not sure what building that is. Maybe the Phoenix just stuck a stock photo they had in there? (BTW is it possible to just add images into posts, or just images already up on a website somewhere?)

Is this the Wayland Square project being discussed?:

http://eastsidecommons.com/

Construction is well underway here. I have a couple of good friends that work for Toll Bros. in Philly and we were recently talking about this project. They used to almost exclusively build McMansions in the 'burbs (I'm sorry, "Luxury Communities"....I digress!), but this project is one of their first forways into an urban market, and they chose Providence. Interesting indicator of the market here, I think.

A couple of things:

The photo you have up for Rau Fastener is not correct, though I am not sure what building that is. Maybe the Phoenix just stuck a stock photo they had in there? (BTW is it possible to just add images into posts, or just images already up on a website somewhere?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If anyone has any better photos of anything posted in the lists, email them to me and I can edit the new ones in.

There weren't many good photos of Rau Fastener out there.

Is this the Wayland Square project being discussed?:

http://eastsidecommons.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, it's not. As you point out, Eastside Commons is already well underway. The proposed development is where the K.Gibbs school building is at the intersection of S. Angell and Butler. Picture Eastside Commons, but just much smaller. The concept is the same: overpriced luxury condo's with underground garages and elevators for wealthy retirees/Boston professionals. There is actually a neighborhood meeting with the architecture firm at School One tomorrow (I think at 7:00 PM) if anyone is interested in attending. I'm hoping to go if I can get out of work in time.

Eastside Commons is an odd property. They overlook the Eastside Market parking lot and really aren't integrated into the urban landscape much at all. From the look of things, they're being built way way off any of the nearby Pitman and Gano sidewalks, for example. I have to say though that they seem to be nice properties. They aren't rediculously price (I think they start at about $300,000, unlike the Angell/Butler proposed property which would start at $750,000) and, from the website, the architecture and detailing could certainly be much worse. I imagine they'll sell, given the nearby Wayland Court rents for upward of $2,500/mo (and is sold out)!!

- Garris

If anyone has any better photos of anything posted in the lists, email them to me and I can edit the new ones in.

There weren't many good photos of Rau Fastener out there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not too many good views of the building as of now, but here's a snapshot of Rau taken last Friday:

rau.jpg

Windows are going in and they are making pretty fast progress, considering they just started the construction in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

19. Villa Dolce Vita

Villa-001.jpg

Providence's first pensione (an Italian bed and breakfast), Villa Dolce Vita, on Federal Hill, scheduled to open in Fall of 2003.

I don't know what is up with this, it doesn't seem that they have done any work in forever, but it looks like just finish work is left...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should probably walk around my own neighbourhood a bit more often.

I went to Venda Ravioli to pick up some pasta for dinner tonight and noticed a group of people in the lobby of Villa Dolce Vita. So on my way out, I walked by. The lobby is finished, there's even magazines in the magazine rack. There's also a sign on the door about them accepting applications. I don't *think* they were open, it looked like they were having a meeting, but it should be opening any day now.

As I was very, very much looking forward to this project (I like the design a lot), this was a major bummer :-(... Oh well, as long as it eventually happens. The main street corridor has been conspicuously quiet during the recent building boom.

- Garris

Does anyone have any idea on what is happening with the small triangular lot bounded by Memorial Boulevard, Steeple St., and Exchange St.? I think this is the Capital Centre Parcel 9. I had heard a rumor a boutique hotel similar to Hotel Providence was going in there but haven't heard anything lately.

Does anyone have any idea on what is happening with the small triangular lot bounded by Memorial Boulevard, Steeple St., and Exchange St.? I think this is the Capital Centre Parcel 9.  I had heard a rumor a boutique hotel similar to Hotel Providence was going in there but haven't heard anything lately.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this came up recently (I can't remember in what thread... Cotuit, do you remember?). I think the consensus was that, yes, it was earmarked to be a hotel (and a nice looking one at that from the rendering), but the last anyone remembers hearing anything about it was maybe early '03 and not a whisper since. Considering the hotel explosion recently, I think the chances are slim...

- Garris

I think this came up recently (I can't remember in what thread... Cotuit, do you remember?).  I think the consensus was that, yes, it was earmarked to be a hotel (and a nice looking one at that from the rendering), but the last anyone remembers hearing anything about it was maybe early '03 and not a whisper since.  Considering the hotel explosion recently, I think the chances are slim...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't remember which thread either, but AriPVD or theAnk (I think) said that one of the reasons the project was scrapped was because of soil conditions. Underground parking was not feasible (or affordably feasible) at the site do to it's proximity to the river. The watertable is right below ground there, and an underground garage was not possible, and that was really the only parking option for the site.

I'm not sure where this leaves the future of this site, anything built there is going to need some parking. It would be nice if the Feds needed to expand, they could go there. The lot at Union Station could be used for a parking structure for anything built on the triangular lot, but that means the two would have to be developed together.

If something tall were built there, we could see parking within the structure, GTECH and One Ten Westminster will have parking above the ground floor in their buildings.

Citizens has underground parking, not sure how deep, and not sure how they overcame the watertable issues.

I'm planning on going around and taking some pictures of these sites before construction begins (when the weather gets a little better).

Wasnt the future site of One Ten Westminster as of a few months ago going to be an expanded parking lot??? This is so much better and I'm not really that concerned anymore about the loss of the historic (100 Westminster?) brick building.

The Projo about a week ago had an article about the old downtown multiplex theater proposal and what the status was. Apparently the plan now is for Buff Chace to put one on Westminster which would be more of an arts/independant theater.

I really cant believe the amount of large projects proposed, when I first heard about 110 Westminster it was the night before it was officially announced on the 10pm news and I wasnt sure if I heard correctly, I had to watch the news rerun and yes I did hear correctly that it was a 32-story building. Then with the Westin & Hilton towers. And I didnt realize until yesterday that the Intercontinential building was a go-ahead and is about to start construction.

Archived