University of Florida / University Corners

ianzepp

University Corners in Gainesville, Florida

==========================================

(An introduction to this ground-breaking community, conveniently sited across the street from the University of Florida.)

Hi, this is Ian Zepp with the University Corners team. With the cooperation and assistance of the University of Florida Alumni Association, I would like to introduce you to our new community.

Community Overview

==================

University Corners is a cutting-edge new development, located in the heart of Gainesville, and just a few steps from the University of Florida campus.

Gainesville's newest and largest Life Style Center will offer a mixture of luxury condos, condo/hotels, restaurants, retail, office, and conference facilities.

Stroll the courtyard, visiting artist's kiosks, on your way to an elegant dinner at one of our fine restaurants. Afterwards, pick up a gourmet dessert and coffee before returning to your luxury loft.

We are a three-city block, 4+ acre, 8 story development, located at the corner of University Avenue and 13th Street.

Community Highlights

====================

* Approximately 140,000 s.f. of retail, shopping, and dining

* 22 penthouse condo units on the 6th and 7th floors

* 97 luxury condo units from the 3rd to the 5th floors

* Over 200 condo/hotel investment units

* Over 1,200 parking spaces, including one floor of underground valet parking

* An interior courtyard, plaza, and outdoor food court

* Swimming pools on the 3rd and 5th floors

* ... and more

For More Information

====================

To find out more about University Corners, please visit us online at:

http://www.ucorners.com

Sincerely,

Ian Zepp, REALTOR

• 1 month later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian,

What material is going to be used on the exterior of this building. Hopefully some brick will be used to blend the University Corners project in with the current architecture of both Gainesville and the University of Florida. The design renderings look very nice. The architectural style is great, as long as the entire building isn't done in south-florida stucco.

Ian, 

What material is going to be used on the exterior of this building.  Hopefully some brick will be used to blend the University Corners project in with the current architecture of both Gainesville and the University of Florida.  The design renderings look very nice.  The architectural style is great, as long as the entire building isn't done in south-florida stucco.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building style will be blended into the University area. We plan to have a design style that is very similar to the existing buildings on UF just across the street, and has been referred to as "Collegiate Gothic" by the developer.

• 2 weeks later...

Wish they would have started it BEFORE I got here.

Ian,

I see that you work with Bosshardt. One of my professors is really good friends with Carol. He knows that I'm going into Real Estate and gave me her number because I've had a million questions and wanted to talk to someone local about them. Very nice lady. I have a lot of respect for her and the fantastic reputation she's built.

It looks like a really nice project. Gainesville really needs more like it.

7753897bc4.jpg

So, when is demolition and construction going to start? I've seen the project signs, but never any work at the site. Are you waiting on the leases of starbucks and "apartment hunters" to expire?

Or are you still waiting for enough condo pre-sales to get your financing? I did notice that the prices seemed at bit steep for the market. 160k for a studio, 180k for one-bedroom, 200k for two bedroom. From an investor's standpoint, I certainly wouldn't want to purchace one of those units, b/c Gainesville has some of the cheapest overall rents I've ever seen.

Though, considering this project's location right across the street from campus, I'm sure there are plenty of students whose parents will shell out the cash for a unit. The location really is just amazingly good.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the existing buildings on this site?  I am a UF grad (94) and was curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This project will be on the corner of NW 13th street and W University Ave. There is a Methodist Church (which will be demolished and rebuilt in a smaller version on the existing site. Part of the land is owned by the church and is being donated in place of the developer building a new church onsite - if my sources are correct). Also on the corner: Burrito Brothers, Target Copy, Maui Teriyaki, formerly an Eckerd, etc.

Gainesville's looking up. I'm excited about it.

Ian,

I am pleased to see more urban infill projects being implemented here in Gainesville. University Corners is one of several recent building development investments that will have a positive economic impact on our community. Promoting development close to hubs of human activity have many environmental & social benefits as well.

Although, infill projects always walk a thin line with historic preservation and the University Corners development is no exception. Unfortunately, the 3 city blocks that will be demolished for the project have some residential buildings that are aesthetically pleasing and structurally sound. Example: the two story chert stone with red brick house on NW 2nd Avenue has some of the best design lines on a building in Gainesville....in my humble opinion. The loss of unique individual buildings in a city allows the community to slowly loose its character.

I am not promoting to halt the project due to the loss of the buildings & neighborhood

Kevin,

It is sad to see those few houses go. In my home town, just north of Gainesville, a developer bought a plot of land for retail use. The family that lived on the land wanted to keep their house because it had historic significance and had been in their family for generations. The developer reportedly paid $22,000 to move the house two-blocks. The family still lives there today.

How many houses will be destroyed with UC project? If I am correct, I believe there are four. Two of them can go if you ask me. But it will be a shame to lose the other two (The one constructed of limestone and multiple color other masonry - not really sure of the exact materials, chert stone you said?........and the other house is a two story home next to the old supercuts lot). I have not looked at possible lots to move these to, but I will do so next time I'm over there. It may be impossible due to street width or lack of open lots, and then again, if the developer is willing to drop $45,000 - $85,000 to appease the locals and the historic preservation board, it might be feasible. It will be a shame to loose that chert stone house. It seems that those stone cabins and homes are the first to go around here (I can name two other developments that tore down multiple of these stone houses) and, it's unfortunate, because they are very unique to the area.

It looks like 17 residential buildings are being removed from site. They all have notices posted in the front yards. The University United Methodist Church & 18 commercial spaces (most housed in 2 large buildings) are also being demolished. Two structures have been demolished already and it is difficult to tell if Krispy Kreme, Shea

yeah, I agree. I know UC plans to have a system of courtyards. Maybe some short (2 or 3 feet tall) knee walls could be constructed of the stone removed from that chert stone house. These walls could be used for seperating courtyard areas, for seating, or for lanscape planters. Just an idea. This along with a plaque explaining the story behind these knee walls would add a sense of history and community to the project. If done correctly, it may not effect construction costs, and its possible, that the savings on materials would offset the trouble of removing and temporarily storing these stones. Anyway, just an idea.

I would like to see some of that home used. Maybe a chert stone courtyard, fountain, or walkway?

I like the design of the building generally, but it just seems to me that the structure(s) are out of place in the area. The scale is just not right. Gainesville is essentially a small town with a University in it. This is something that would fit in downtown Jacksonville or Tampa or Orlando, but not on 13th Street in Gainesville. Maybe if it were a few stories shorter or scaled back a little it would fit better. And please, dont take the Krispy Kreme donuts.

Riverside, I agree that the project may be a few stories too tall. But, I think that this project will fit very nicely within the direction the city is moving in. (I live two-blocks away - not that this makes me an expert - haha). Once built, I think this project will receive very few complaints. The Holiday Inn at the same intersection will start renovations any day now. Improvements will include renovated rooms, lobby, a fresh coat of

I must correct an earlier statement:

I realize now, their are two construction projects happening side by side. The footprint of the University of Corners will only take up 3 city blocks in total. The two city blocks to the north are having residential homes being removed for a separate development.

So, I believe it is only 7 residential structures/garage apartments, The University United Methodist Church, and19 commercial spaces are being removed from the site. (Note: the 19 commercial spaces are located in 2 large buildings)

None the less, this is still a large project that could provide quality salvageable materials to the local community from the residential buildings not moved & commercial structures prior to demolition.

I have contacted the developers of University Corners project and they seemed open to re-use and recycling on the site, but not sure to what extent it will be implemented. I suspect time & liability issues will play a large roll. At the moment they are focusing on having the residential homes moved to new lots. The University Corners

Kevin,

I plan to email the developer tomorrow about the issue. I would like to get the ball rolling and have more people aware of the issue. I'm just not sure how to go about getting the word out.

The truth is, that chert stone house would be excellent to convert into a nice restaurant (I'm thinking like Swamp restaurant) or another use (besides renting it to college kids). I hope someone, preferably with money, takes interest in that house and saves it.

Bosshardt Realty has UC demolition photos posted on their website. If the chert stone house is demolished, I hope those photos never make it onto their website.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.  I can't wait for UC to break ground.  I will be in Gainesville until Spring 2006, so I'll follow the project as it moves along.  Has it been announced which contractor will construct the project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perry Construction will be doing the general contractor's work, to the best of my knowledge.

So, when is demolition and construction going to start? I've seen the project signs, but never any work at the site. Are you waiting on the leases of starbucks and "apartment hunters" to expire?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am uncertain as to the current leases of the current retailers, as the commercial aspect has been handled by another firm. However, I do know that we have been waiting to start with demolition untill the final architectural drawings are complete, and the plans can be submitted to the state for condominium approval.

All of the retailers currently there have been invited back. To the best of my knowledge right now, Starbucks, Apartment Hunters, and Burrito Brothers are all planning to come back.

Or are you still waiting for enough condo pre-sales to get your financing? I did notice that the prices seemed at bit steep for the market. 160k for a studio, 180k for one-bedroom, 200k for two bedroom. From an investor's standpoint, I certainly wouldn't want to purchace one of those units, b/c Gainesville has some of the cheapest overall rents I've ever seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As of this post, we are only still taking non-binding reservations, not actual contracts. The prices differ for the owner-occupied condos versus the condo hotels. The condos will likely be priced from under $300k to upwards of $550k, from a 1 bedroom to a 3 bedroom. The 1 bed and 3 bed options are not on our website yet, and likely will not be until we have released final prices and floorplans.

I am not allowed to speak to the investment value of any particular unit, sorry. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although, infill projects always walk a thin line with historic preservation and the University Corners development is no exception.  Unfortunately, the 3 city blocks that will be demolished for the project have some residential buildings that are aesthetically pleasing and structurally sound.  Example: the two story chert stone with red brick house on NW 2nd Avenue has some of the best design lines on a building in Gainesville....in my humble opinion.  The loss of unique individual buildings in a city allows the community to slowly loose its character.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a member of the sales team, I have very little influence on the chert houses located on the site. However, Michael Conroy, President of University Corners LLC, would be happy to talk with you. Please email me at [email protected] for his phone number, rather than I post it on a public board.

I like the design of the building generally, but it just seems to me that the structure(s) are out of place in the area.  The scale is just not right.  Gainesville is essentially a small town with a University in it.  This is something that would fit in downtown Jacksonville or Tampa or Orlando, but not on 13th Street in Gainesville.  Maybe if it were a few stories shorter or scaled back a little it would fit better.  And please, dont take the Krispy Kreme donuts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Krispy Kreme is not located on the project site. Our site stops at the NW 3rd Avenue road line. There is another developer handling the two blocks north of University Corners.

As for being out of scale, I can only say that I fully expect the remainder of the SW 13th Street and the University Avenue areas immediately adjacant to UF to see more and more of these large projects.

PS: As I don't often get a chance to check this board, if anyone has any specific questions that I can answer, please let me know via email directly.

Sincerely, Ian Zepp. Bosshardt Realty Services.

Standard Disclaimer: All prices and specifications subject to change without notice.

• 5 weeks later...

Kevin,

I am a BCN grad moving back to Gainesville next month. I have a vacant lot in Madera off of Williston and am interested in reusing the limestone from the four houses off of 2nd Ave. Are you still involved with the Powell Center or the deconstruction program there? PM me or email me at [email protected].

I must correct an earlier statement: 

I realize now, their are two construction projects happening side by side.  The footprint of the University of Corners will only take up 3 city blocks in total.  The two city blocks to the north are having residential homes being removed for a separate development. 

So, I believe it is only 7 residential structures/garage apartments  .....  emented.  I suspect time & liability issues will play a large roll.  At the moment they are focusing on having the residential homes moved to new lots.  The University Corners

Archived