University of Florida / University Corners

ianzepp

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fate of the University Corners project as now proposed may be decided on Tuesday, November 15 at 6:00 PM in the Gainesville City Hall Auditorium. The Community Redevelopment Agency will once again discuss financing options with the developer. Should be pretty tense. I will definitely be there.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that there are two groups who still haven't settled on the news. One is Maui which we have discussed but the other is Brick Pizza, what is their story??? It also said that the developer plans to build around the existing building to circumvent the hold outs! Its seems ridiculous to put a 180 Million+ project on top of a 30 year old building for both apperance and engineering reasons, not to mention the financial cost. Sounds like the developer needs some new advisors right????

I have been interested in this project ever since it was mentioned in the TU. I should have known there would be a thread about it on UP. I really like the design, and the location is absolutely unbeatable. Unfortunately, the only starbucks I have ever liked will be destroyed. As a student, this project is especially important to me. Can't wait to hear more.

I heard that there are two groups who still haven't settled on the news. One is Maui which we have discussed but the other is Brick Pizza, what is their story??? It also said that the developer plans to build around the existing building to circumvent the hold outs! Its seems ridiculous to put a 180 Million+ project on top of a 30 year old building for both apperance and engineering reasons, not to mention the financial cost. Sounds like the developer needs some new advisors right????

I have a friend that works for brick oven pizza and basically the owners just want to be paid by the developer for the space the rest. takes up. They are planning on not winning and they also want their 45000 in legal fees paid for by the developer. The real trouble is Maui...not brick oven.

• 2 months later...

Good news! Maui is moving out, and the project is going forward. Basically, the developer evicted Maui in spite of Maui's lease. So, Maui will sue the develper for damages, which will amount to lost income over the duration of the lease.

In my opinion, Maui won't get much more from this strategy than if they would have just accepted the developer's offer to buy them out of their lease. But, now, both parties must go to court.

Gator Plaza (where Maui is located) is slated to be demolished in the next month. I hope to be there to watch.

Good news! Maui is moving out, and the project is going forward. Basically, the developer evicted Maui in spite of Maui's lease. So, Maui will sue the develper for damages, which will amount to lost income over the duration of the lease.

In my opinion, Maui won't get much more from this strategy than if they would have just accepted the developer's offer to buy them out of their lease. But, now, both parties must go to court.

Gator Plaza (where Maui is located) is slated to be demolished in the next month. I hope to be there to watch.

Here are the relevant articles:

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...341/1081/news02

http://www.alligator.org/pt2/060127teriyaki.php

And the original press release from us is on this page (can't link directly to the release because of URL issues):

http://www.ianzepp.com/index.php?id=69

In short, all three blocks will be gone by the end of February, March at the latest. We are also working on putting together a big tail-gate party for the Orange & Blue game.

Ian Zepp, Realtor, CSP

University Corners Sales Team

• 1 month later...

Archived