Va. Bill Sets Fine for Low-Riding Pants

sunshine

RICHMOND, Va. - Virginians who wear their pants so low their underwear shows may want to think about investing in a stronger belt.

AP Photo

The state's House of Delegates passed a bill Tuesday authorizing a $50 fine for anyone who displays his or her underpants in a "lewd or indecent manner."

Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., a Democrat who opposed the bill, had pleaded with his colleagues to remember their own youthful fashion follies.

During an extended monologue Monday, he talked about how they dressed or wore their hair in their teens. On Tuesday, he said the measure was an unconstitutional attack on young blacks that would force parents to take off work to accompany their children to court just for making a fashion statement.

"This is a foolish bill, Mr. Speaker, because it will hurt so many," Spruill said before the measure was approved 60-34. It now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Del. Algie T. Howell, has said constituents were offended by the exposed underwear. He did not speak on the floor Tuesday.

Spruill and Howell, also a Democrat, are both black.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that was hilarious. That is completely impossible to enforce.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

On the contrary, it's laws like this that allow cops to pretty much stop any and everybody out there. They're bound to find something to get you with. See 3 kids walking down the street with baggy pants? Don't worry about probable cause, stop them for the pants, search them for drugs, arrest them for protesting.

Well, the sheer number of people that probably would have violated this rule would have made it a logistically impossible feat.

Doesn't matter anyway. I heard on the news today that the VA Senate dumped this bill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, the goal isn't to stop everybody. It's selective enforcement that they really want. That's just the libertarian in me thinking though. It's not unlike a speed trap. They don't put them up to stop speeders. They put them up to make money and harrass people.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After all these years of seeing the over or under weight mechanic sport LOW riders with usually No underwear showing we have a law aimed at the younger people who may still have firm or atleast shaply assetts?

To be honest, I wont by lowriders for my daughter but did we actually need a law against it?

Archived