Greer: An All-America City?

Spartan

-Just an interesting blurb in the paper today. Do you think Greer is worthy of the title "All-America City" ??

GREER -- City officials want the rest of the country to know Greer is an "All-America City."

City Administrator Ed Driggers told Council Tuesday that the city is being submitted to the National Civic League to be considered for this year's honor.

The deadline for the application is March 10, Driggers said. The city should hear if it has been named a semi-finalist by the end of April. From that group, 10 are cities are chosen. The winning cities will be honored in Washington, D.C.

The winners are based on whether or not the city works together in handling problems within the city.

-From the Herald-Journal:

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...348/1051/news01

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not too sure how much merit the All-America City awards have outside of the city itself. It just seems that they give out so many each year that almost all major cities have earned the distinction at some time or another... Just in the last 9 years, 3 SC cities have won the award.

2000 - Anderson County

1997 - City of Aiken

1996 - City of Hartsville

In addition several other SC towns/cities/counties have been finalists during that time: Chester, Orangeburg County, Fort Mill, Spartanburg (94)... I just remember being proud in high school when Aiken won, but later realizing that it's not an entirely uncommon designation... But its nice none the less to be recognized.

It sure has given the city of Anderson alot more credibility in recent years. :) There's another city I expect to see take off once the administrators figure out which way to grow. The suburbs have been popping about as fast as anywhere else in the Upstate, and the county is continuing to add to the already high number of manufacturing jobs.

Greer has seen unbelievable growth recently and would be well suited to receive such an honor, in my mind. For that matter, Greenville and Spartanburg would also be excellent choices. :)

This topic reminds me of something I was going to do a few weeks ago. I had a bunch of pictures of Downtown Greer from a 2003 and then some from late 2004 and a cuple from 2005 to show all the renovations going on. I saved them in Yahoo but when I tried to link to them in a Urban Planet post I was getting errors. So anyway, I still want to show them but I want to give some history about them not just a link to a folder of photos maybe I will get a chance to do that some time soon and post it here.

You know I don't see me doing that anytime soon so here is the folder

Greer Photos

when I have more time I will give them descriptive titles, but I bet you can figure out what are the renovated versions of what. If someone can figure out a way for me to post these photos in a thread let me know and I will do what I was planning.

Great photos! Some labels would help immensly. If you spend some time studying these you can figure out which ones were rennovated. I wish I had more time today to put into that.

With Yahoo, you would probably have to pay for a hosting service. You might want to put them on Photobucket. It is a free picture hosting service that supports file sharing.

I went and rearranged them and renamed them, I will add furhter descriptions as I get a Chance. Yahoo allows you to link to them. I can put links to individual photos without all the yahoo stuff. It is actually Urban Planet who does not support something in the link when I try to have it open the photo right in the thread. The error message is "Sorry, dynamic pages in the %7Boption%7D tags are not allowed"

That was for the following image link

link

oh well.

I went and rearranged them and renamed them, I will add furhter descriptions as I get a Chance.  Yahoo allows you to link to them.  I can put links to individual photos without all the yahoo stuff.  It is actually Urban Planet who does not support something in the link when I try to have it open the photo right in the thread.  The error message is "Sorry, dynamic pages in the p><p> That link didn
[img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Spartanburger/scflag01.gif]

This code produces this:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/Spartanburger/scflag01.gif' alt='scflag01.gif'>

See if it has an option that gives you the correct link. I see that the file is a .jpg file, so if yahoo will let you , it should work fine. PM me if that doesn't work and we will figure something out. B)

• 2 months later...

Archived