What is your favorite Mall In Charleston

Spartan

What is your favorite mall/shopping area in Charleston?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mall/shopping area in Charleston?

• Downtown/King St
    • Citadel Mall/
    • Northwoods Mall/Rivers Ave
    • Mount Pleaseant Towne Centre
    • Other (specify)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is you favorite shopping area in Charleston, and why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never really been to any other mall other than the Citadel and Northwoods, both are nice, but I like Northwoods better. If I could afford to shop King Street, I would.

I used to think that if it's not enclosed, then its not a mall. That's probably because I was born in the days when enclosed malls were the big thing (the 80's). I've noticed that companies are going back to building outdoor malls presently.

I never considered things like that a mall either. But, these new shopping centers like the Mount Pleasant Town Centre are all out doors, and they have most things that you could find in a mall, except maybea central food court. Click here to see its website.

Places like the Prime Outlets in Gaffney (which are jsut inside out shopping malls) seems to be more popular. I would rather go to a mall or a shopping center than the reverse malls though.

Citadel Mall has got my vote, because it has been neatly renovated and it has plenty of adequate parking. It also will have an amazing presence in the area when the Mark Clark Expressway is completed. Indoor malls seem to be better in my opinion because severe weather is not even a factor when shopping. Having to worry about pouring rain, ultra-cold temperatures, or high winds would spoil a shopping experience such as in Mt. Pleasant's Town Center. Citadel Mall has the best traffic flow and still has room for expansion.

Of the choices listed, I've only been to Citadel Mall and I was impressed.  They have a little bit of everything and it's home to the closest Parisian store to me since Greenville's store shut down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Closer than the parisian at Columbiana in Columbia?

Closer than the parisian at Columbiana in Columbia?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I get for typing without thinking :D

Okay, you're right, the Parisian store at Columbiana is closer to me, but I haven't been there recently. Seems like when I'm headed that direction, I'm in Columbia before or after mall hours.

• 1 month later...

Over the years, I've been to all (including one, that had a Montgomery Wards, on Mall Drive) and the one that stands out to me is King Street.

Citadel and Northwoods have the same stores as any other enclosed mall and I was so unimpressed with Mount Pleasant Town Center, this past weekend, that I rode through the parking lot, turned around and went back downtown. BTW, malls were orginally outdoors. Gateway Mall, in Jax used to be one of the largest ones in the Low Country region, stretching from South Carolina to Northern Florida.

However, very few urban streets and districts in the South, can compare or offer the amount of shops and unique restaurants that line King Street.

• 1 year later...

Citadel Mall really looks nice inside since it was remodeled. Their department stores are also the largest and most upscale. I'm really surprised though that CBL & Associates who owns Citadel hasn't given the exterior a facelift. Most of their malls have fairly modern looking exteriors and entrances. Poor Citadel still suffers from the 1981 blahs. CBL really should go all out and make the exterior match the interior and try to go after some more "upscale" specialty stores to add to their mix, as well as national restaurants that the area currently lacks. I worked at the mall while in college and I was amazed at the customer base it drew. Lots and lots of tourists, as well as wealthy residents of Kiawah/Seabrook and downtown- those who would patronize a more upscale mix of stores. We even had the occasional "celebrity" sighting - Meatloaf & Bruce Willis and Demi Moore in Dillard's while I worked there.

Mt. Pleasant Towne Center is of course very nice but I'm not so sure about the "open air" main street style. It's conducive to shopping in the fall and winter months - but in the heat of the summer - not so much. It has a nice mix of specialty stores but Belk needs some help. Hopefully their expansion will improve their selection.

Northwoods has of course been around forever and was also recently remodeled - but their department stores are frightful. Belk is just horrendous - never had it, never will - not sure what Belk is going for at this location (think flea market or junk store). Dillard's tried with their "bump out" expansion into the mall, but they still don't carry the nicer brands that the Citadel store carries. And Sears and JCPenney are generally the same in every mall.

We shall see what the Tanger Outlet Center at Centre Pointe brings. So far it looks like the tenant mix will be quite good - surprisingly!

• 8 months later...

I have to vote for the Northwoods Mall/Rivers Ave. corridor because of sheer size and proximity to me. It dosen't hurt that North Charleston has been ranked as the top retail area in SC for over a decade now. But for pure ambiance nothing can beat King Street/Market St.

Archived